• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

25/25/25/25

2 sets of 25 overs vs 50 over format

• 2 sets of 25 overs

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 50 overs no change.

Votes: 32 84.2%

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amazing how much is discussed SERIOUSLY about making major changes in the format of cricket. I wonder whether it has happened like that in any other sport. Why must the game be turned upside down to bring in those who dont like it.

There are plenty of sports that move slowly and are also stretched over lang periods of time but no one wants to change them dramatically.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
yeah, no. Why are we going to try and make cricket like baseball? What's the point? If you want it like baseball why not just watch baseball. also odi cricket is about the same as baseball in term of spectators
Im not trying to make it like baseball, Im stating that the comparison factor of baseball is worthy to be introduced into cricket, in cricket after 3 hours of play you still have no idea whos winning or whos gonna win etc, etc, in actual fact you only have some idea after 5 hours of complete play, and even thats still debatable. at least in baseball after 3-4 innings you have an idea of how the match may actually pan out. but quite frankly im going to give this a rest which im sure will please you all, but for my benefit next time you watch your favorite team whether batting all bowling first and at the completion of 25 overs wouldnt it be an interesting to see what the other team will be at after their first 25 overs.

Aust. 155/2 25 overs completed rr 6.20
India. 154/4 25 overs completed rr 6.18

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Im not trying to make it like baseball, Im stating that the comparison factor of baseball is worthy to be introduced into cricket, in cricket after 3 hours of play you still have no idea whos winning or whos gonna win etc, etc, in actual fact you only have some idea after 5 hours of complete play, and even thats still debatable. at least in baseball after 3-4 innings you have an idea of how the match may actually pan out. but quite frankly im going to give this a rest which im sure will please you all, but for my benefit next time you watch your favorite team whether batting all bowling first and at the completion of 25 overs wouldnt it be an interesting to see what the other team will be at after their first 25 overs.

Aust. 155/2 25 overs completed rr 6.20
India. 154/4 25 overs completed rr 6.18
And frankly i don't think its worthy enough to be introduced to cricket. So the reason is to see who's winning? Well if you don't know who's winning than that's a good thing. Because if you do know who's going to win from the half point of the game then why would you watch the rest of it? Plus if you know cricket then you'll have an idea who's winning, if the batting 1st team is doing good then they are winning if not the bowling team's winning if the batting 2nd team is above or close the required run rate then they are winning if not they aren't. If you know cricket you most of the time's have an idea who's winning at the moment.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting, may well be but at the same time it's interesting like it is so why change it?

pup11

International Coach
I would like to see 4 blocks of Power-Play (each block= 5 overs) in odi cricket and it should be upto the captain when he wants to use those 4 blocks of Power-Play.

I think in if that happens the game would depend a lot more on a captain's decision-making and imagination skills and it would also make the game a lot more flexible IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to see 4 blocks of Power-Play (each block= 5 overs) in odi cricket and it should be upto the captain when he wants to use those 4 blocks of Power-Play.

I think in if that happens the game would depend a lot more on a captain's decision-making and imagination skills and it would also make the game a lot more flexible IMO.
You really think that the power play sytem has done a 'helluva lot' to make the game better as a spectacle ?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Its amazing how much is discussed SERIOUSLY about making major changes in the format of cricket. I wonder whether it has happened like that in any other sport. Why must the game be turned upside down to bring in those who dont like it.
its not about liking it or not liking it its about change for the good of the game, outside cricket for the record RUGBY.... and they still not sure if they got it right.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
You really think that the power play sytem has done a 'helluva lot' to make the game better as a spectacle ?
the powerplays are bad tbh. they are not yet fully used tactically but can a great to be used as tactics. Such as say, if i were captain i wouldn't take the 2nd and 3 powerplays until at the end in the 40th overs since the batting team go all out in the last 10 over anyway, but if my team could hold down the other team and get wickets the batting team might not even have much left or it wouldn't be enough trouble. Caution: as all tactics this may fail :p worth a try though.