• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News- Shoaib Malik Gets Pakistan Captaincy

LA ICE-E

State Captain
bad choice, should have go with yousuf. Well don't know much about pakistani cricket but yeah cause i read he wanted to be captain and plus i know that moyo's a better player than shoib malik and moyo wanted the job too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
*waits for people to bring up the game he threw and call him an apt choice*

EDIT: Yup
Sorry, but I think its relevant information. I am not sure if thats the type of captain I would want, regardless of his tactical acumen (which I am ignorant about, he may be the best in that regard).

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Sorry, but I think its relevant information. I am not sure if thats the type of captain I would want, regardless of his tactical acumen (which I am ignorant about, he may be the best in that regard).
He is the best young captain in the domestic circuit right now, but as I said in the other thread, I used to cringe at the thought of him being captain due to that incident. But when you think about it, it happened two years ago when he was (supposedly) 22. He was pissed at the way things went down and decided to concede a match which meant nothing to his team anyway. Terrible attitude and he got his punishment (a few internationals ban I believe).

So two years later he has shown that he can handle the job in a mature fashion, so he at least deserves a chance. Whether he deserves it ahead of Yousuf is another thing.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good news, no way should it have been given to Abdul Razzaq or Mohammad Yousuf who were the two other leading candidates. I know Yousuf came out in the media and said he would be delighted to lead his country, but his appointment would have been a bad choice for Pakistan as he has shown nothing to suggest he would be a good captain. Other than being the most experienced, his credentials aren't very impressive whereas Malik's are.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
if yousuf is made captain then we will still be stuck in inzi's captaincy era,
we need a young aggressive captain and malik fits the bill

he has captained his sialkot team to 2 domestic 20/20 and national limited overs trophies

Perm

Now that Malik has been appointed captain, I daresay he will replace Mohammad Hafeez in the batting lineup. He should anyway, Hafeez has been nothing short of terrible.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
he has captained his sialkot team to 2 domestic 20/20 and national limited overs trophies
I wonder if his case in the domestic season is a bit like Ponting with Australia. They win a lot because he's got great players he can count on. I obviously have never watched him play so can't comment.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He is the best young captain in the domestic circuit right now, but as I said in the other thread, I used to cringe at the thought of him being captain due to that incident. But when you think about it, it happened two years ago when he was (supposedly) 22. He was pissed at the way things went down and decided to concede a match which meant nothing to his team anyway. Terrible attitude and he got his punishment (a few internationals ban I believe).

So two years later he has shown that he can handle the job in a mature fashion, so he at least deserves a chance. Whether he deserves it ahead of Yousuf is another thing.
Maybe, I don't necessarily disagree with going in a younger direction but I am not sure if someone who did do that deserves the national captaincy. At least not just two years from the incident. Also, this is going to be interesting in terms of how it plays out with the senior players.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Now that Malik has been appointed captain, I daresay he will replace Mohammad Hafeez in the batting lineup. He should anyway, Hafeez has been nothing short of terrible.
In ODIs? Malik is a permanent fixture down the order anyway. In tests, I'd rather have Hafeez as an opener tbh. Malik can replace Farhat.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Maybe, I don't necessarily disagree with going in a younger direction but I am not sure if someone who did do that deserves the national captaincy. At least not just two years from the incident. Also, this is going to be interesting in terms of how it plays out with the senior players.
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree something done in the heat of the moment in a domestic T20 should be held against him for much longer.

Perm

In ODIs? Malik is a permanent fixture down the order anyway. In tests, I'd rather have Hafeez as an opener tbh. Malik can replace Farhat.
I just want Mohammaf Hafeez out of the side really, he is a woeful ODI player and doesn't deserve his spot. Bring back Salman Butt then, I'd forgotten that Malik was already established at the #6 position. Hafeez has been okay as a Test opener but I want to see Shoaib Malik back up there opening the innings, he has done a superb job in the limited opportunities he has had.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Malik is already in the ODI team, and Hafeez's performances in test cricket have been very good to date. Malik will come in to the test side for Farhat IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree something done in the heat of the moment in a domestic T20 should be held against him for much longer.
I'm the last person to think that domestic T20 matters - but its the thought process that would lead you to lose a game on purpose that bothers me.

Regardless, he's the captain now and I hope he restores some normalcy to Pakistani cricket. Unfortunately, I think they are in the same boat as India as far as permanent changes are concerned.