• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News- Shoaib Malik Gets Pakistan Captaincy

haroon510

International 12th Man
has the news been conformed yet? i can't find it in cricinfo.com or any other website which means it can be still a false news.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
has the news been conformed yet? i can't find it in cricinfo.com or any other website which means it can be still a false news.
The news was confirmed by cricinfo a few days ago, you might have to go through their old news articles to find it.

pasag

RTDAS
There hasn't been any confirmation yet, just rumours. Don't think any big news service has reported it yet.

FRAZ

International Captain
Good choice
He is young,has his odi spot secured, down to earth, and one of the best domestic captains along with afridi.
It was a toss up between Malik and Afridi but cos malik's place is more secure he gets the nod over afridi

for the source click on the link below
http://www.nation.com.pk/daily/apr-2007/15/sports1.php
Holy !!!!!!
Another prediction came true !!!!
Richard confirm that please !!!!!!!!!
Please Rich !!!!
DIdn't I mention that earlier !

Fusion

Global Moderator
Malik is my choice for the Captaincy, though I'm not too excited about him or the rest of the candidates. It's going to be a tough job that awaits him. In the sub-continental culture, deferring to your seniors is ingrained in you since childhood. So here's this young chap, fairly unproven, being asked to lead his seniors like Inzi, Yousaf, Younis, Afridi, etc. We all know the Pakistani team revered Inzi, so that dynamitic may be the trickiest of all. Would Malik have the guts to tell Inzi "you need to bat at 2 down", should he feel that way? Would he be able to tell Younis "you need to open"? What about dealing with the hard to handle Afridi? These are all tough tasks. The only way he's going to succeed is if the board backs him 100%, and at least some of the senior players give him their support for the larger good of the team.

Perm

Malik is my choice for the Captaincy, though I'm not too excited about him or the rest of the candidates. It's going to be a tough job that awaits him. In the sub-continental culture, deferring to your seniors is ingrained in you since childhood. So here's this young chap, fairly unproven, being asked to lead his seniors like Inzi, Yousaf, Younis, Afridi, etc. We all know the Pakistani team revered Inzi, so that dynamitic may be the trickiest of all. Would Malik have the guts to tell Inzi "you need to bat at 2 down", should he feel that way? Would he be able to tell Younis "you need to open"? What about dealing with the hard to handle Afridi? These are all tough tasks. The only way he's going to succeed is if the board backs him 100%, and at least some of the senior players give him their support for the larger good of the team.
Afridi is hardly a senior player, at least not in Test match cricket and he is the same age as Malik so there shouldn't be too much of an experience issue, with Afridi it will likely be his attitude that gets him in trouble. Anyway some senior players like Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf seem like they will be quite supportive of whoever is captain, it will be the superstar upstarts like Afridi, Shoaib and Abdul Razzaq who will cause the problems.

Perm

Abdul Razzaq is hardly a "superstar".The guy is a pretty average test player IMO.
He certainly thinks he is, you can tell by the way he acts. These are the kind of players who will cause the disruptions within the side, rather than the senior guys like Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf and Danish Kaneria.

Fusion

Global Moderator
He certainly thinks he is, you can tell by the way he acts. These are the kind of players who will cause the disruptions within the side, rather than the senior guys like Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf and Danish Kaneria.
Not so sure about Younis and Yousaf not causing problems. I'm certainly hoping they would give their support to Malik, but I can see a potential for trouble. Yousaf aspired to be captain, while Younis was the heir-apparent. Both will look upon themselves as having more a right to Captain than Malik. I know in the case of Younis he voluntarily gave it away, but that still doesn't mean he's automatically going to defer to Malik. Anyway, I'm hoping they behave and in fact provide him loud and clear support so everyone else also falls in line behind Malik.

Perm

Not so sure about Younis and Yousaf not causing problems. I'm certainly hoping they would give their support to Malik, but I can see a potential for trouble. Yousaf aspired to be captain, while Younis was the heir-apparent. Both will look upon themselves as having more a right to Captain than Malik. I know in the case of Younis he voluntarily gave it away, but that still doesn't mean he's automatically going to defer to Malik. Anyway, I'm hoping they behave and in fact provide him loud and clear support so everyone else also falls in line behind Malik.
Those two are senior players and have been around for a long time in the Pakistan setup, surely they will realise that the team cause is more important than little squabbles over the captaincy. I'm pretty confident that Younis and Yousuf are smart enough to realise this, they don't seem like the kind to kick up much of a fuss over things.