• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News- Shoaib Malik Gets Pakistan Captaincy

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just want Mohammaf Hafeez out of the side really, he is a woeful ODI player and doesn't deserve his spot. Bring back Salman Butt then, I'd forgotten that Malik was already established at the #6 position. Hafeez has been okay as a Test opener but I want to see Shoaib Malik back up there opening the innings, he has done a superb job in the limited opportunities he has had.
Yeah, I think it's time they gave up on Hafeez in ODIs. He was originally selected (and recalled) for his batting, but he never scores any runs and keeps his spot in the side due to the fact that he always bowls well. They have better bowlers though really in the likes of Rehman and Kaneria, so picking Hafeez makes little sense.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I want to see Shoaib Malik back up there opening the innings, he has done a superb job in the limited opportunities he has had.
He had one good inning where he made 148* against Sri Lanka and saved the match for Pakistan. Other than that he has been pretty ordinary.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I think it's time they gave up on Hafeez in ODIs. He was originally selected (and recalled) for his batting, but he never scores any runs and keeps his spot in the side due to the fact that he always bowls well. They have better bowlers though really in the likes of Rehman and Kaneria, so picking Hafeez makes little sense.
Added to the fact that somebody like Shahid Afridi (as much as I dislike him) would do a better job in ODI's than Hafeez, in both the batting and bowling departments. Danish Kaneria isn't a very good ODI bowler so I don't think he should be persisted with until he can prove that he can keep it tight and accurate whilst still being able to pick up wickets. Abdur Rehman is a much better choice as an ODI spinner at the moment.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, Hafeez can be a liability in ODIs. I say make Nazir and Farhat openers and leave Malik at #6. That way we still have a part time spinner in Malik and full time one in either Rehman or Kaneria.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Added to the fact that somebody like Shahid Afridi (as much as I dislike him) would do a better job in ODI's than Hafeez, in both the batting and bowling departments. Danish Kaneria isn't a very good ODI bowler so I don't think he should be persisted with until he can prove that he can keep it tight and accurate whilst still being able to pick up wickets. Abdur Rehman is a much better choice as an ODI spinner at the moment.
Kaneria has a superb domestic record. He has bowled absolutely trash in ODIs so far if you look at the figures, but I think he's just been used poorly to be honest. From what I've seen, Rehman is definitely a better option though, yeah.

I disagree with Afridi being a better bowler than Hafeez though. In tests, definitely yes. But Hafeez as a bowler is under-rated in ODIs IMO - he's better than Afridi and Malik. He's almost ODI standard as a bowler alone really, however there are better options.

Perm

He had one good inning where he made 148* against Sri Lanka and saved the match for Pakistan. Other than that he has been pretty ordinary.
In 11 innings opening the batting for Pakistan, he averages 42. That to me is pretty good, considering he scored 148* on the last day against Muralitharan and then was droped back down the order for his next few games. Give him an extended run as an opener and I am confident he will be able to perform.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
In 11 innings opening the batting for Pakistan, he averages 42. That to me is pretty good, considering he scored 148* on the last day against Muralitharan and then was droped back down the order for his next few games. Give him an extended run as an opener and I am confident he will be able to perform.
He was definitely dropped too early as an opener. WRT the 148*, it was made under immense pressure but the pitch was a flat one and even Farhat did well IIRC. Still, he did better than the other options we had used before and after him.

Perm

Kaneria has a superb domestic record. He has bowled absolutely trash in ODIs so far if you look at the figures, but I think he's just been used poorly to be honest. From what I've seen, Rehman is definitely a better option though, yeah.

I disagree with Afridi being a better bowler than Hafeez though. In tests, definitely yes. But Hafeez as a bowler is under-rated in ODIs IMO - he's better than Afridi and Malik. He's almost ODI standard as a bowler alone really, however there are better options.
I actually meant as a combined package that Afridi is better than Hafeez, although that oviously didn't come across very clearly. Kaneria hasn't done anything worthy of retaining his ODI spot in my eyes other than being the established Test spinner. He certainly hasn't done anything to take the spinner spot in the ODI team over Rehman anyway.

shortpitched713

International Captain
This move is somewhat dissapointing for me as a Pakistani fan. Not to say it was unexpected or something, but with what he had done two years ago I don't believe he was the best option. The captaincy should have been given to Yousuf, but I thought they might go with Malik and spin it with some looking to the future BS. Actually I think he'll probably be a "dummy captain" for a while until he feels comfortable in the role. That being said, now that he's captain I hope him the best of luck with the considerable task of bringing some stability to Pakistan cricket. The hopes of hundreds of millions of fans now rest on his shoulders. Don't **** up son.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Actually I wouldn't have had him in the Test side before I heard of him becoming captain. Now that he's likely to play in the Test side though I think the best place for him is opening, and in that role in the Test side he should really concentrate on his batting as his bowling isn't really effective in Tests. I'd promote him to opener in ODIs as well alongside Yasir Hameed.

Craig

World Traveller
Like SS blowing a game isn't something I like, but what's done is done in the past and we can only go from here.

If he can bring team unity and is able to get the best out of his players then I'm all for it. If Pakistan learned to play as a team then I don't see why they can't do well.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Malik is a good choice considering the other candidates were Yousuf, Razzaq and Salman Butt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
One doesnt have a clue as to how good a captain he will turn out to be but I like this guy. He is a very serious cricketer and his attitude to the game reminds me a lot of Rahul Dravid. He always seems to give his 100% and it does look like more very often. Just like Rahul. Thats a plus although Rahul hasnt recieved unadulterated praise so far as a captain.

One also finds that he seems to divide the ex Pakistani cricketers between those who think he is fantastic and those who think he is over rated. Of course thats true in Pakistan for most top players. The former cricketers mostly appear to settle scores at each other by speaking for ar against each others alleged proteges. :)

I suspect he will face a tough time from those former players whose own 'candidate' hasnt made it and that will be even more difficult for an unassuming young man than it was for a seasoned veteran like Inzy or would have been for a tough bloke like Younis.

It'll be interesting to watch the reactiuons from Pakistani players, both current and old, to Malik's new role.

haroon510

International 12th Man
it is a really good move i think. he is aggrasive, talented and pretty serious about his game. shahid afridi should be the vice captain. shahid afridi is a very talented cricketer and with responsibility on his shoulders his game might improve more.

i have always find mailk a good one down batsman in one day and a good test opener.

first of all players like younis, danish, hafeez should never be considered to play in one day side.

odi side

butt
hameed
malik
yousuf
kamal
shahid afridi
akmal
razaq

test

butt/ hameed
malik
younis
yousuf
inzi
afridi
akmal
razzaq

pup11

International Coach
I think its a brave and forward-thinking decision by PCB to appoint Malik as the captain, but now Malik also needs to justify his appointment as captain with good performances.

Its gonna be interesting to see how the likes of Yousuf and Afridi (who both were interested in captaincy) react to Malik's appointment as captain.

Craig

World Traveller
I think its a brave and forward-thinking decision by PCB to appoint Malik as the captain, but now Malik also needs to justify his appointment as captain with good performances.

Its gonna be interesting to see how the likes of Yousuf and Afridi (who both were interested in captaincy) react to Malik's appointment as captain.
Yeah I mean when you consider Yousef is an 'untouchable' in the team, whereas you could quite easily get rid of Afridi if you wanted to. Actually I would have grave concerns if Afridi ever became captain.

Perm

Yeah I mean when you consider Yousef is an 'untouchable' in the team, whereas you could quite easily get rid of Afridi if you wanted to. Actually I would have grave concerns if Afridi ever became captain.
You wouldn't be the only one mate. I don't have any idea why Afridi would've considered himself as a candidate for the captaincy, he has been out of the ODI side for a while now and hasn't done anything to suggest he would make a good leader.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I agree; there's deffers evidence to suggest Afridi's been fanning the flames of dissent in the Pakistani dressing-room. That, coupled with him and a concrete Test spot seeming like anathema, should be a line through his name for now - until at least he can show some maturity and/or consistency.

That, too, is dependent on whether Malik measures up.