• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Andrew Flintoff disinterested in batting?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why do ou think that? .
Maybe because Botham says so. Kidding :)

It seems to be a popular idea in England that anyone who is an aggressive batsman should open particularly if he is not getting runs in his regular position.

Difficult to say whether it is because they think opening is so easy any duffer can score runs (Kalu did after all) or because they think it can only be an improvement on England's regular opener anyway :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe because Botham says so. Kidding :)

It seems to be a popular idea in England that anyone who is an aggressive batsman should open particularly if he is not getting runs in his regular position.

Difficult to say whether it is because they think opening is so easy any duffer can score runs (Kalu did after all) or because they think it can only be an improvement on England's regular opener anyway :)
Fair enough, the aggression would definately be there but I don't know whether he would have the technique to impliment it against the new ball. Imagine him facing Bond, Vaas or McGrath in the opening overs of an ODI, I could see him going out pretty quickly.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thinking about it more, maybe disinterested isn't the right word, and is unfair to Flintoff. Try substituting "utterly confused" or "lacking in intent" and it might be closer to the mark.

pup11

International Coach
Utterly confused is the right word i guess for Freddie,TBH i don't think he knows what role he needs to play with bat atm.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
According to Ian Ward on Sky, Fred has been feeling under the weather for the past week and the England team did suspect he may have glandular fever. However, supposedly and thankfully Andrew just has very sore glands and a high temperature.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, the aggression would definately be there but I don't know whether he would have the technique to impliment it against the new ball. Imagine him facing Bond, Vaas or McGrath in the opening overs of an ODI, I could see him going out pretty quickly.
Oh yes.

I just wondered why people(Botham & co) think this way. I totally agree that an opener is a speciast and only those who CAN face the new ball should open and not those who can , if and when they connect, make better use of field restrictions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff's always considered himself more of a batsman than a bowler, throughout his career. It's nothing new.

And no, he's not disinterested in batting - that's just something the gullible will imply from him being pretty average at it. Same with Harmison whenever he bowls rubbish.

And no, I can't see him having any success at the top of the order in ODIs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, can't see him consistently succeed at the top of the order but I don't think it would be such a bad idea to try it for this WC alone.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff can't handle the swing and seam that is generated in the early overs of ODI cricket, he is more suited to the middle overs where he can get himself in and then blast near the end. I do find it amusing that so many people are over-reacting to what is simply a bad run of form.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The question that should be asked is - Is Flintoff interested in playing cricket at all ? I dont know, I dont see the Flintoff of 2005 anymore. He just looks disintersted in whatever he is doing. Giving him the captaincy was one of the biggest mistakes ECB made.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The question that should be asked is - Is Flintoff interested in playing cricket at all ? I dont know, I dont see the Flintoff of 2005 anymore. He just looks disintersted in whatever he is doing. Giving him the captaincy was one of the biggest mistakes ECB made.
The Flintoff of 2005 is never going to be replicated.It was a one off amazing performance in the ashes series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really, the captaincy was one of the few ways to increase the amount he cared, even if he couldn't achieve an impossible task.

And no, you don't see the Flintoff of 2005 any more - it's exceptionally unlikely we ever will again. Same way we only saw the Botham of 81 once and the Lara of 1999 once. Or any host of other top-notch players who had one day where they were better than ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff can't handle the swing and seam that is generated in the early overs of ODI cricket, he is more suited to the middle overs where he can get himself in and then blast near the end. I do find it amusing that so many people are over-reacting to what is simply a bad run of form.
Exactly, it's nothing that hasn't happened before and it has got to end somewhere. It's just unfortunate that it happened to be in the biggest tournament of them all.

Odds-and-sod's law it'll end against West Indies and he'll be accused of coming to the party too late... 8-)