• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever Fast Bowler?

Who was the very Best?

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well we've done similar things in the past, first with the Battle of the Pace Bowlers then with adharcric's Ranking the Bowlers Thread, but some might say both of these methods might have their flaws in determining point blank who is the greatest fast bowler of all time. For example only 12 people voted in adharcric's thread on the number 1 bowler.

So I've decided to put up a simple poll to determine who CW thinks is the greatest fast bowler using as many fast bowlers as possible from adharcric's list.

Personally I found it extremely difficult to choose between Glenn McGrath and Richard Hadlee. In the end I barely went with McGrath because he has played in a period that has been so difficult for bowlers.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Malcolm Marshall, Glenn McGrath and Richard Hadlee would be my top 3 fast bowlers of all time. I voted for Hadlee being #1, mainly because I'm a Kiwi. Those three I mentioned are all so close, although I'm sure posters like archie mac who are a bit more familiar with the game all those years ago will contest that Barnes and Trueman are better.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Malcolm Marshall. 376 wickets at an average just under 21 is damn good. However, it is the strike rate, 46.7, which makes him absolutely lethal, when you consider that he played in an era when test cricket was renowned for draws and slow batting.

oz_fan

International Regular
I rate Marshall just ahead of Hadlee and McGrath. His average, strike rate and consistency are marginally better then the other bowlers on that list in the past 50 years.

andyc

Probably Marshall or Hadlee tbh, but of all the bowlers I've seen, fast or otherwise, I'd put McGrath at the top, so he gets my vote.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Marshall. They all could be the greatest - ultimately anything beyond a straight statistical comparison is a subjective judgement. That said, in this elite company its the few flaws, relative weaknesses etc that what makes the difference, and Marshall stands out in not really having any marked weaknesses or failures. Its the commonly used description, but its apt - he was the complete fast bowler. Died tragically young.

pup11

International Coach
For me its Glen McGrath because like most of the other fast-bowlers he didn't had the pace or the physical attributes to intimidate his opponents, but he still inflicted fear in the hearts of batsmen world over with his unmatchable line and length, accuracy and consistency (though the same can be said about Hadlee).

But the stand-out feature of Pidge's career has to be that even today he is as effective as he was when he made his debut.

pup11

International Coach
All the fast-bowlers on that poll are all-time greats but still they didn't had the best ends to their careers.

But Pidge is still picking wickets for Australia and he is retiring on his own terms, i just wish from the bottom of my heart that Pidge ends up as the highest wicket-taker in this WC and also as the part of the WC winning side for the 3rd time in a row.

archie mac

International Coach
Malcolm Marshall, Glenn McGrath and Richard Hadlee would be my top 3 fast bowlers of all time. I voted for Hadlee being #1, mainly because I'm a Kiwi. Those three I mentioned are all so close, although I'm sure posters like archie mac who are a bit more familiar with the game all those years ago will contest that Barnes and Trueman are better.
Yes it can be tough with so many great bowlers, I decided against Barnes because I don't think he was considered a fast bowler. Reading about Trueman he must have been something special but I will just go for Lillee

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd go with anyone of Marshall, Barnes or McGrath, I chose because he had more pace than the others, but it could just have easily been McGrath.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Marshal, he's the complete package, accuracy like McGrath but with a bit more cutting edge and swing.

McGrath is of course awesome, but i get the feeling sometimes that sometimes he's a bit of a one trick pony(i just slapped myself for saying that don't worry) whereas Marshal would use more variations of line/length/swing/seam to get his wickets.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Marshal, he's the complete package, accuracy like McGrath but with a bit more cutting edge and swing.

McGrath is of course awesome, but i get the feeling sometimes that sometimes he's a bit of a one trick pony(i just slapped myself for saying that don't worry) whereas Marshal would use more variations of line/length/swing/seam to get his wickets.
If he is indeed a one trick pony, it must be one amazing trick that gets him wickets in every country, against every batsman, for 15 years. Including wickets at an average of 21.30 in places like India.

PS. He is not a one trick pony. Just yesterday, one of his wickets came from a perfect slower ball, and another from a great yorker.

Perm

It would be interesting to know who the best fast bowlers of the current era (McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Lillee etc) thought was the best ever. I know Sir Richard Hadlee thought that Dennis Lillee was the best fast bowler he had ever seen.

archie mac

International Coach
It would be interesting to know who the best fast bowlers of the current era (McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Lillee etc) thought was the best ever. I know Sir Richard Hadlee thought that Dennis Lillee was the best fast bowler he had ever seen.
because all of my books are packed up, I will have to use my memory:wacko: I think Lillee was a big fan of Garth McKenzie