• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting to note the difference between Peitersen & Styris century celebrations

pup11

International Coach
I wasn't impressed with KP's celebrations considering England's situation at that moment, such celebrations would have made sense if England were on course to getting 300 or more but it wasn't the case.

Cricket is a team sport and individual success at the end of the day doesn't mean anything if your team losses and KP should have celebrated according to the situation, IMO.

But certainly that doesn't prove that he isn't a team-man.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pietersen celebrated because, despite his efforts in recent weeks and months in holding our shambles of an ODI team together, some idiots still thought it was right to criticise him for not having actually scored any centuries. He was clearly very relieved to have scored a century, which he had every right to be.

I find it quite ridiculous, the lengths that people are going to to criticise Pietersen. The man is clearly one of the most talented batsman of his generation, has a statistical record that puts 99% of other cricketers in the shade, is holding the England team up on his own right now, and still people manage to pick out the tiniest things to criticise.

He'll have the last laugh, is all I can say.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was very suprised at how sedate Styris' celebration was after scoring that century against Sri Lanka. He smashed the boundary and then raised his bat almost as an afterthought, he was obviously thinking about the team and wasn't too concerned with his own score.

I find it ridiculous that people are criticising Pietersen for celebrating his century, sure it was a little bit over-exuberant but fully deserved in my eyes. He has been holding together England's ODI side virtually since he was selected and although he has a superb average and strike rate, people were stll criticsing him because he wasn't scoring hundreds. Now he does ton up and people still give him crap, it's pathetic.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, it's just BLE, but there was a similar thing not long ago regarding Shane Watson and the celebration issue. As I said back then, it's just such rubbish. Some players get criticised from celebrating too much whilst some players get rubbished for celebrating too little. Some players get a hundred and celebrate heaps, and like this thread, they're criticised. Some get a hundred and barley move and as I've seen here, they're still criticised with people complaining that they're arrogant, acting like the hundred was their God given right etc.

There's also the hypocrisy of when some players celebrate like Murali or Monty they're lauded for their enthusiasm and energy but when some others celebrate like Watson or Lee, they're called "dicks".

It's all pathetic really. Every player can show his emotion however he wants and can celebrate however he choose and honestly it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, it's just BLE, but there was a similar thing not long ago regarding Shane Watson and the celebration issue. As I said back then, it's just such rubbish. Some players get criticised from celebrating too much whilst some players get rubbished for celebrating too little. Some players get a hundred and celebrate heaps, and like this thread, they're criticised. Some get a hundred and barley move and as I've seen here, they're still criticised with people complaining that they're arrogant, acting like the hundred was their God given right etc.

There's also the hypocrisy of when some players celebrate like Murali or Monty they're lauded for their enthusiasm and energy but when some others celebrate like Watson or Lee, they're called "dicks".

It's all pathetic really. Every player can show his emotion however he wants and can celebrate however he choose and honestly it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Just about covers it, tbh.

deeps

International 12th Man
It's nto the celebration that got me, it's the slowing down of scoring prior to the 100.

Swervy

International Captain
It's nto the celebration that got me, it's the slowing down of scoring prior to the 100.
of course that was nothing to do with the tightening up of the bowling, or the wickets falling, or the fact KP looked pretty knackered, or whatever

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why was he knackered though? Not been doing enough work on his fitness? It's not as if they've been playing masses of cricket over there, or that the conditions were that extreme. I've seen Brett Lee get that tired, but that was batting second, after he bowled ten overs and fielded for the other forty, and was in for 60 odd balls in high heat and humidity.

Swervy

International Captain
Why was he knackered though? Not been doing enough work on his fitness? It's not as if they've been playing masses of cricket over there, or that the conditions were that extreme. I've seen Brett Lee get that tired, but that was batting second, after he bowled ten overs and fielded for the other forty, and was in for 60 odd balls in high heat and humidity.
I dont run his fitness regime, I just think there was a time when he was in the 90s that he looked a bit cream crackered.

The point is I dont think he really thought about slowing down just to get the hundred at the expense of Englands chances in the game. Australia tightened up their game, England lost wickets and KP did what he thought he had to do...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
He scored a hundred that only included 7 (IIRC) boundaries, and only one of those came after he passed 50. In fairly hot and humid weather, I think that'd take it out of anyone TBH.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A team man like Styris didn't go overboard when he reached three figures vs Sri Lanka yesterday. He was low key as his mind was clearly on his teams less than ideal situation...not his own personal milestone. It came up as he smashed the ball to the boundary in an attempt to get some quick added runs for his side towards the end

Whereas Peitersen played slowly for his ton as the 50 overs drew to a close, ensuring he got it then celebrating like "he" had won the tournament. (I say he instead of "his team" as he would have been less animated than he was, if it were the latter)

Then he proceeded to finally play a shot, got out...and turned and walked off as soon as he had hit the ball up in the air. Without regard to trying to cross with his partner, Nixon thus getting him the strike instead of the incoming Mahmood.
Without comparing with Styris, I must say I was more than a bit surprised with Pietersen's reaction to reaching his hundred.

Perm

Without comparing with Styris, I must say I was more than a bit surprised with Pietersen's reaction to reaching his hundred.
Same here, I thought he went a little bit overboard with his celebrations. I'm a huge Pietersen fan but I can see why other people hate him, his celebration was just another reason I suppose.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

honestly, I never had a problem with exuberant celebrations. Watson was a tool because he sledged the batsman or insulted him when he got him out, just like Sreesanth or Nel were. If he was just celebrating like a Bravo or a Murali, it is different. In the few instances that I have seen of him getting a wicket, he most certainly was insulting the batsmen and that is why I think he is a tool.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Same here, I thought he went a little bit overboard with his celebrations. I'm a huge Pietersen fan but I can see why other people hate him, his celebration was just another reason I suppose.
I don't get it. A World Cup century against Australia is special, why shouldn't you celebrate it?

Perm

I don't get it. A World Cup century against Australia is special, why shouldn't you celebrate it?
Well his team were getting thumped, therefore that should have taken away some of it's glory. I just thought he went overboard a little and his celebrations were a little exuberant but loooking back at all the criticism he was copping, it seems he was intent on sticking it up those people who were complaining that he doesn't score enough hundreds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This thread really is strange.

As per usual SW\BLE has fooled countless gullible masses into debating stuff when the thread should just be closed on the spot - but why has the prakesh account not been banned? And isn't it hilarious that he should accuse someone innocent of being him! :laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well Max Walker in his "A-Z of Cricket" (the first cricket book I ever read as a kiddie) recounted an anecdote from his days as a junior club cricketer where his school coach asked him how the match had gone on weekend with his club. "Great" said Max, "I got two wickets and 46 runs". His coach stopped him, told him in no uncertain terms that cricket was a team sport and it was the wrong attitude to put your personal achievements ahead of the team's results. After that, Walker says, whenever anyone asked him how he went, he'd replied "good, we won" or "no good, we lost" and leave it at that.

Fairly basic moral to the story, which most players in a team sport absorb at a similarly young age - cricket is a team sport, and the results that should matter to you are the team's, not your personal results. Given there's already been talk about Pietersen not being a team man, its not surprising his attitude after the hundred has drawn flak.

Perm

This thread really is strange.

As per usual SW\BLE has fooled countless gullible masses into debating stuff when the thread should just be closed on the spot - but why has the prakesh account not been banned? And isn't it hilarious that he should accuse someone innocent of being him! :laugh:
Not every negative thread or post regarding the English cricket team should be locked or deleted, there has been some decent discussion about the comparisons between Pietersen and Styris.

Matt79

Global Moderator
And tbf, not every point BLE makes is so utterly devoid of merit that the thread should just be closed. Quite a few people in this thread have agreed with the point he made in the original post.