• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis turns down Pakistan captaincy

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like I was just saying to you on MSN Pratyush, I think it's fair enough that Younis wants to keep his family safe. Family should always come before cricket and he's concerned that if he doesn't do a very good job then his family will be in danger, which is quite a likely scenario in Pakistan.

The next best candidates would be Abdul Razzaq, Mohammad Yousuf and Shoaib Malik I think. Razzaq is too lazy and doesn't set a good enough example while Yousuf would only get it by default through being the most senior player. Give it to Shoaib Malik I say, I think he could do a pretty good job.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah I am a first supporter of family>sport so if that is indeed the reason, fair enough. Also, I would like it to be given to Malik as well..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am almost sure that it is not the only reason. I think that chances are that Pakistan dressing room is divided into groups too and one of those groups (likes of Afridi, part of it , I think) don't like him as captain and he perhaps didn't want the job since he knew he wont have the full support of his team.

Anyways, it is rather sad but not completely surprising.

Perm

I am almost sure that it is not the only reason. I think that chances are that Pakistan dressing room is divided into groups too and one of those groups (likes of Afridi, part of it , I think) don't like him as captain and he perhaps didn't want the job since he knew he wont have the full support of his team.

Anyways, it is rather sad but not completely surprising.
I always got the impression that Younis would be a far better captain that Inzamam, not that it would be hard, but he seemed so much more active and positive in the field. If his bowlers were getting a little bit of tonk, then he would be able to talk to them and help them out a little bit. Inzi just stood there looking confused basically.

I have no doubt that dressing room politics played a part in Younis' decision either, some of the players in this Pakistan side obviously think that they can run the show from behind the scenes (Afridi, Akhtar) and quite clearly their behaviour on the field reflects this attitude.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, he always looked like a natural captain to me and that is why I said it was rather sad. Sad to see 3 of favourite teams(Ind, Pak and Windies) just breaking up like this and the 4th not being all that great (England)...... :(

Craig

World Traveller
I always got the impression that Younis would be a far better captain that Inzamam, not that it would be hard, but he seemed so much more active and positive in the field. If his bowlers were getting a little bit of tonk, then he would be able to talk to them and help them out a little bit. Inzi just stood there looking confused basically.

I have no doubt that dressing room politics played a part in Younis' decision either, some of the players in this Pakistan side obviously think that they can run the show from behind the scenes (Afridi, Akhtar) and quite clearly their behaviour on the field reflects this attitude.
If that is the case, players like that should be axed from the team post haste. Give me a lesser talented but a hard working team then a pompus tool who thinks he is God's Gift to Cricket and therefore divides the dressing room.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Apparently there is the whole Yorkshire angle as well..

Yorkshire have confirmed that Younis Khan will be available for their opening Championship match, against Surrey at The Oval, despite speculation that his county stint would be prevented by the Pakistan board.

Pakistan are scheduled to play in Abu Dhabi against Sri Lanka in a three-match ODI series in May, but Younis has told Yorkshire that he has discussed the situation with the PCB and is unlikely to be involved.

Perm

If that is the case, players like that should be axed from the team post haste. Give me a lesser talented but a hard working team then a pompus tool who thinks he is God's Gift to Cricket and therefore divides the dressing room.
That's the way it should work as well, but we all know what Pakistan is like. Afridi has been dropped repeatedly from the Test team after he has performed pretty well on the field, even if he has been a fool off it.

pup11

International Coach
I would like to see Malik as the captain because its about time Pakistan appoints a young captain who can inflict some aggression into this side.

But TBH, the next captain in all probability would be Mohd.Yousuf.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think that Shoaib Malik would be the best choice as captain in the future, i don't know why but i get the feeling he'd do a better job than Mo Yo who being honest would only be given it because of his skill and experience as a player, not his ability as a leader(a bit like Inzy).

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm pretty disapointed in Younis. This is the second time he's turned down the captaincy. I don't buy his "scared for my family" excuse. Every Pakistani Captain, including Imran, has had to deal with the high expectations of Pakistani fans. Every one of them have had their effigies burned by a few nuts. No one's family has ever been harmed. I think there are other reasons for Younis' decision. Perhaps he felt he didn't have the support in the dressing room. Perhaps he didn't want the added pressure. In any case, I don't want the PCB to ever offer him the position again. In fact, he shouldn't even be the VC. Those positions should goto players that WANT to lead and welcome the challenge. So who are those players? The pickings are mighty slim unfortunately. Shoaib Malik would be my choice. He's young, fit (by Pak standards), and energetic. Woolmer thought enough of him to promote him as a future Captain, which speaks volumes in my book. I hope he's given a chance to lead.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Agree with the sentiments in the previous post, and I would like to add that it's a shame to see Younis Turn it down. Usually, you should jump at the chance to captain your side.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I personally would never want to captain India or Pakistan if I were offered tbh. It's bad enough having to deal with everything as a player..being a captain is a whole another level of crap you have to deal with. And for what? Whatever you win, if you lose a game in an important tournament or series, you suck. Not worth it IMO.

Plus, both the countries have a very dubious notion of 'team', and eventually you end up babysitting a bunch of guys who don't really care all that much.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently there is the whole Yorkshire angle as well..

Yorkshire have confirmed that Younis Khan will be available for their opening Championship match, against Surrey at The Oval, despite speculation that his county stint would be prevented by the Pakistan board.

Pakistan are scheduled to play in Abu Dhabi against Sri Lanka in a three-match ODI series in May, but Younis has told Yorkshire that he has discussed the situation with the PCB and is unlikely to be involved.
Interesting to note also that the PCB have blocked Umar Gul's move to Gloucestershire and told Mohammad Asif not to accept a county contract for this season.

Craig

World Traveller
Interesting to note also that the PCB have blocked Umar Gul's move to Gloucestershire and told Mohammad Asif not to accept a county contract for this season.
And what if they did the opposite to what the PCB said not to do? Hire goons to come around and break their legs?