• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis turns down Pakistan captaincy

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't he captain an ODI match recently? I can't remember which one it was, but I do him being absolutely clueless.
I think he may have, but he definately seems pretty woeful as a captain. Not only is he not very tactically astute but he struggles to lead by example in the field, all of which makes for a shoddy captain.

shortpitched713

International Captain
You want Abdul Razzaq to captain Pakistan? He would be one of the last people I would want leading them, his attitude and body language is so poor and he has shown nothing to suggest he would make a good captain.
I'm not saying I want Razzaq to be captain, I'm just saying he would be one of the only viable alternatives as he is a respected, more senior member in the side. Sure he might have looked clueless in that ODI, but if he had been groomed for multiple years for the job that might not have been the case. As it is, if they select him he'll probably have to grow into the job and won't be so great early on, but I can see him doing a competent job in the long run.

However right now I do have to admit that I am definitely leaning towards Yousuf. The thought that Malik might be captain somewhat repulses me though. His integrity has shown to be lacking for one, and on the other note hes not ready.

Perm

Meh, Imran Khan was not all that flash in the field either.
But he was an inspirational leader and could also perform to a high level on the field, two things that Razzaq is lacking. Combine that with his sloppiness in the field and general attitude then it makes for a poor captaincy candidate.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dare suggest that no one will make a successful captain of Pakistan until the whole system of Pakistan cricket is overhauled or until they are lucky to have a player with the talent, the charisma, leadership qualities and, most importantly, the power to be bigger than the establishment like Imran was.

They wont be given the best captain and if by sheer chance they are, he will be pulled down by the other ****roaches inside the bottle.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm surprised to read this from you. You're usually of the opinion that "they're professional athletes and should be able to handle pressure". You know what Captain I think has the most pressure in the world? Ponting. Think about it. Aus are expected to win every single game. Not only are they expected to win, people are disapointed if the margin of victory is not large enough. If Aus lose two consecutive games, much less a series, the whole world starts talking about their "decline". You don't think Ponting feels stressed due to these absurd expectations? I'm positive he does. But he's a leader and he chose to take on the challenge. He doesn't whine about it like a little girl a.k.a Younis.

Look, every key position in sports has unfair amount of pressure. Whether it's the goalie in Soccer or the Quaterback in Football, they get too much credit for the win, and too much blame for the loss. Same thing with the Captain's position in Cricket. So who would want to take on such a role? Those who are not afraid of a challenge, don't buckle under pressure, and want the glory and power. Obviosly that's not Younis. Again, I don't buy his "afraid for my family" excuse. Did he just start playing for Pakistan? Where is this surprise at the hostile reaction coming from? That kind of stuff has always been there, and he's dealt with it before. So let's stop with the "my feelings are hurt" routine. I would have more respect for him if he simply said he doesn't want the Captaincy without making childish excuses.

The difference my friend over here is - If Australia loses an Important game, he doesn't have to worry about the safety of his family, or fear that someone will ransack his home in Perth (or whereever) or people waiting on the Airport with Shoes/Sandals.

Handling pressure is different from the above. That said, Younis Khan's reaction does sound like an excuse, because if he really didn't accept captaincy because of those reasons, then IMO he should not play cricket either, because he will still have pretty much similar risk as an important player of Pakistan team.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Handling pressure is different from the above. That said, Younis Khan's reaction does sound like an excuse, because if he really didn't accept captaincy because of those reasons, then IMO he should not play cricket either, because he will still have pretty much similar risk as an important player of Pakistan team.
Exactly. He'll still have to deal with the same pressures. Also, like many have pointed out (including Imran), why did he take the VC role if he didn't want to deal with this stuff? This hostile reaction should not be a surprise for him as this stuff happens each and every time Pakistan lose an important series!

Perm

Became a run machine a while after becoming captain. IIRC he had a very bad patch just after he took over.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Apparently there is the whole Yorkshire angle as well..

Yorkshire have confirmed that Younis Khan will be available for their opening Championship match, against Surrey at The Oval, despite speculation that his county stint would be prevented by the Pakistan board.

Pakistan are scheduled to play in Abu Dhabi against Sri Lanka in a three-match ODI series in May, but Younis has told Yorkshire that he has discussed the situation with the PCB and is unlikely to be involved.
Younis Khan pulls out of international tour.

Fusion

Global Moderator
"Bob Woolmer remains deeply upsetting. Pakistan's World Cup exit and the nature of the reception I received when I returned to Pakistan was also very tough to deal with."

So let me get this straight. He's too upset to play for Pakistan, but will be ok to play for Yorkshire? Yeah no element of hypocrisy there.

His "boo hoo, people were mean to me" when I returned home comment continues to amaze me. You'd think he's a rookie who was experiencing the effigy burnings by a few morons for the first time. He's dealt with all this before. And even if he's not the Captain, he'll still have to deal with it as a key member of the team. I've lost a lot of respect for Younis and it will take a lot for him to earn it back.