• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next West Indies Captain...For ODIs at least

Next ODI WI Skipper

• Total voters

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I was bored and with Lara retiring just wanted to see who you all thought would be the best choice to replace him. All the candidates I've named have played quite a few matches for the WI and I'm sure have at least captained or vice captained the WI in an international.

For me it's Sarwan. He's been being "groomed" for this for four years now and if he can't do it now he probably won't be able to again. Vice captain to two Lara terms and one of Chanderpaul. Been captain of Guyana for a couple seasons now. Has looked good in the occasions when he's been given the task to lead the team with Lara off the field or unavailable.

Oh Joseph and Ganga are there just for fun.

pup11

International Coach
I would like to see Chris Gayle as the captain, TBH West Indies really don't have to many good options to select a captain.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seeing as how Daren Ganga and Sylvester Joseph aren't even in the ODI squad at the moment I think it would be a little far-fetched if they were to be appointed the next captain of the West Indies. Still, a suprise could be in store but I think it's very unlikely that either of these two will be the next captain. They have plenty of FC captaincy experience, and could be possible candidates for the Test captaincy but not in ODI cricket.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul was woeful as a captain, he honestly looked like he had no idea how to do the job and still score runs. It would be a massive backwards step to re-appoint him as a captain and would ruin Chanderpaul as a cricketer I think. Dinesh Ramdin has only just secured his ODI spot from Carlton Baugh, and is too young and inexperienced to be thought about as a captain at the present point of time. His leadership skills are very good by all accounts and I can see him captaining the side in the future.

Really, it comes down to a straight choice between Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan. One of whom has FC experience as a captain and the other who doesn't, simple choice really and I would be suprised if Sarwan doesn't get the job. Not to say that he deserves it or anything.

readie

State Regular
I wanted to vote for Gayle but I don't think they will take the risk of making him Captain. Also I think that his form could potentially suffer if he was made Captain

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Sarwan ahead of Gayle as he seems to have been groomed for it. Shiv is a backward step. I would never appoint a 'keeper as captain and the other ones - well if they ain't good enough for this WC squad...

readie

State Regular
Sarwan ahead of Gayle as he seems to have been groomed for it. Shiv is a backward step. I would never appoint a 'keeper as captain and the other ones - well if they ain't good enough for this WC squad...
I am a keeper and as such may be biased, however why should being a keeper be any disadvantage to being captain. I think its actually beneficial as a keeper you are always in the play.

Because of your position in the field you have a similar viewpoint to the batsman and can see the gaps and areas which would be easy for him to work into. Also a keeper is usually one of the biggest talkers in the team which makes him more likely to take control of a match when things aren't going well

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh Joseph and Ganga are there just for fun.
Ganga's a better one-day batsman than Lendl Simmons and a few others around the team these days. Also by far the best captain in the region. I wouldn't say he's totally out of the picture. Joseph practically is, however. And it has to be Sarwan for the captaincy now.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ganga's a better one-day batsman than Lendl Simmons and a few others around the team these days. Also by far the best captain in the region. I wouldn't say he's totally out of the picture. Joseph practically is, however. And it has to be Sarwan for the captaincy now.
It's unlikely he'd get the captaincy though. With Lara retiring he'll be up for his spot as a batsman. Unless Sarwan fails horribly he won't get a chance.

prakesh

Banned
I would like to see Chris Gayle as the captain, TBH West Indies really don't have to many good options to select a captain.
You have to be joking. Ramnerine's a good option compared to Chris Fail.

The lack of effort on display from him in this tournament has been as poor as his ever present bulshy body language.

His lame attempts at fielding have been lacksidaisical in the extreme.

And I am actually a fan of his potential talent BTW.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i would go for chanderpaul TBH...dont really rate sarwan for some reason, dont know why! But chanderpaul can be a good captain...he is a regular in your side and can score runs. ( lets not include the WC in this!)

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
i would go for chanderpaul TBH...dont really rate sarwan for some reason, dont know why! But chanderpaul can be a good captain...he is a regular in your side and can score runs. ( lets not include the WC in this!)
Chanderpaul's captaincy was terrible when the Windies last toured NZ. He struggled on the field and off...not a good interviewee and struggled with the media side of it