Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponting on West Indies

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar

Ponting on West Indies

From CI:

Ponting's team was unimpressed by West Indies' behaviour after they beat Australia early in the Champions Trophy in October. West Indies went on to reach the final but were convincingly beaten by Australia, which Ponting said was typical of their hit-and-miss temperament.

"They are a funny side," he said. "Once they start getting on top, then their body language is out of control. You've only got to see a couple of games in the Champions Trophy, especially the first game that we lost.

"It was like they'd won the World Cup, and it was the first game of the Champions Trophy. I think they probably felt a bit of the pressure of being at home in this World Cup and being spoken about a fair bit as real contenders in this event."

Ponting expected the hosts to hit their straps at some point in the Super Eights, with only matches against Bangladesh and England remaining. "You'll see at some stage, there's a couple of games to go," he said. "If they can get off to a good start and they take early wickets then all that sort of body language will come back.

"Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels and Dwayne Bravo and those sort of guys tend to enjoy themselves pretty much out on the field when things are going their way, but when things aren't going their way then they can drag their backsides around."

"If they don't maximise the money that is generated with this World Cup and get their infrastructure and facilities right, then they really could go by the wayside," he said.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I love it how Ponting always manages to critisise other teams and players for misbehaviour, yet I seem to remember that he has plenty of smudges against his name when it comes to discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I love it how Ponting always manages to critisise other teams and players for misbehaviour, yet I seem to remember that he has plenty of smudges against his name when it comes to discipline.
    True....i think he has a point, but he is NOT a one to talk TBH! He needs to look at himself first before he talks abt other teams!

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    He's right though.

I don't really think he's said much about their behavior either, that's just the journo.

Fair comment from Ricky.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    and the cycle starts again...Punter says something..people either agree or disagree...despite opinion, people say 'how dare he' and rant about Australian team behaviour...thread grows into the world vs Australian attitude debate...and so on.
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Ponting's maturity level is amazing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    The first two paragraphs were fair enough I thought, he was offering some insight into why he thought the West Indies hadn't done as well as was predicted. This sentence pretty much summed it up for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Ponting
    "Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels and Dwayne Bravo and those sort of guys tend to enjoy themselves pretty much out on the field when things are going their way, but when things aren't going their way then they can drag their backsides around."
    These three players are all very talented, but their temperament definately needs questioned. Ponting isn't the only one who thinks along those lines.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Hmmmmm, i love it how people like yourself completely miss the point of the article, and use it as a chance to have a dig at Ponting/Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    From CI:

Ponting's team was unimpressed by West Indies' behaviour after they beat Australia early in the Champions Trophy in October. West Indies went on to reach the final but were convincingly beaten by Australia, which Ponting said was typical of their hit-and-miss temperament.

"They are a funny side," he said. "Once they start getting on top, then their body language is out of control. You've only got to see a couple of games in the Champions Trophy, especially the first game that we lost.

"It was like they'd won the World Cup, and it was the first game of the Champions Trophy. I think they probably felt a bit of the pressure of being at home in this World Cup and being spoken about a fair bit as real contenders in this event."

Ponting expected the hosts to hit their straps at some point in the Super Eights, with only matches against Bangladesh and England remaining. "You'll see at some stage, there's a couple of games to go," he said. "If they can get off to a good start and they take early wickets then all that sort of body language will come back.

"If they don't maximise the money that is generated with this World Cup and get their infrastructure and facilities right, then they really could go by the wayside," he said.
    Had to laugh at this comment given the way the Aussie's carry on after a win, with all the man-love

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgupta View Post
    Had to laugh at this comment given the way the Aussie's carry on after a win, with all the man-love
    Nothing wrong with a bit of man-love after a hard fought win, if it's been a tight and tough battle then I don't see why people criticise a team showing some emotion because they've come away with the win.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Ponting speaks the truth. Sad but true.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Ponting's maturity level is amazing.
    Yep, fancy responding to a reporter's questions accurately - what a child!

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Yep, fancy responding to a reporter's questions accurately - what a child!

Whenever Ponting is reported in the media, it always seems to bring out the Punter haters, regardless of what was said.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    and the cycle starts again...Punter says something..people either agree or disagree...despite opinion, people say 'how dare he' and rant about Australian team behaviour...thread grows into the world vs Australian attitude debate...and so on.
    Yep - I'll kick it off - How dare anyone, anywhere, ever criticise Australia and Ponting about cricket, behaviour, fashion or anything else?

Just getting the fishing line ready to reel them all in........
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information