• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara confirms one-day retirement

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
about bloody time, he is one of the best cricketers ever. but is too 'big time' for the current west indies side and they need to find a new talisman and stop living in the past!!

Loony BoB

International Captain
Definitely the time to go, I have to say. Windies really need a new leader. Now, whether they have one around...

oz_fan

International Regular
The right decision for himself and the West Indian team. Hopefully he can go out a winner, playing a great knock.

pup11

International Coach
So is Lara gonna play in the next 2 games?

I think Chris Gayle should be the next Windies captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HIs captaincy in this WC was extremely weird to say the least, I agree but before that he has been a very good captain for the Windies. And let us not forget that the Windies, as a team, have been very poor in this WC. Chanderpaul and Gayle have played with no intent whatsoever, and have always put the middle order under pressure. Gayle's bowling has deteriorated alarmingly and so has Bravo's batting and bowling. Samuels, apart from showing some spark initially, hasn't done anything special. Same with Dwayne Smith. This is a side with a no. of players in poor form at the same time, like India were for a while before their home series. Lara's retirement would mean more problems than solutions for them, AFAIC.

But, still, Lara seems to have been clearly unhappy esp. against the selectors and I guess a bit of harmony MIGHT help the side when the new captain gets in. I just hope he is consulted before teams are announced. I was really amazed that Lara was here in INdia for a series when the WC squad was announced, that too without even a token consultation of the captain and coach. I just hope a new selection panel can take over as well, so that they can all start from scratch.

Ideally, for the next games, Windies should play

Gayle
Devon Smith
Lara
Sarwan
Samuels
Bravo
Ramdin
Dwayne Smith
Powell
Taylor/Bradshaw
Collymore

And just hope that whatever is happening with blokes like Gayle, Bravo and Samuels is just a temporary dip in form and not actual regression.

Fusion

Global Moderator
One of my all-time favorites. His decision to retire from ODI's is probably for the best. I will miss seeing him play in that format though.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
He is my absolute batting idol, I'll be sad to see him go. I've grown watching Lara make headline after headline. He is unreplaceable.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not a great way for him to go out in terms of ODIs, hope he can play a few more quality knocks in Tests yet.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he does stay true to his word and retire at the end of the World Cup, it will mean that he has played 299 ODI's. Quite a remarkable acheivement, but like others have said already if it means he'll be a Test batsman for longer, then I'm all for it. The issue of captaincy for the West Indies is quite a concern though, with two main candidates at the moment in Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan, neither of whom are fit to take the job IMO.