• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara confirms one-day retirement

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Out of curiosity, where did the captaincy go wrong for the Windies? Most teams out there have their captains training up a very young guy so that they can take over when the captain calls it a day. Who was the last good captain for the Windies and why hasn't a young lad come up afterwards with the brains to learn from the good captain and carry on after him? No offence to Lara, but I never saw him as that good a captain...
He was a good captain when he was ok, but I think he tended to get a little too unorthodox, esp. when he was angry at someone and was proving a point. But I generally feel that given a normal environment where the captain is given his due place in the selection committee meetings and stuff, he would mak a decent enough captain, AFAIC.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
A great player gone. HIs ODI record could have been better but it'll still be considered a a great one anyway. No more ODIs is probably for the best. Tests are his forte and now he can fully concentrate on them and won't have added stress in playing too many matches. I'm 99.9% sure Sarwan will be the next captain and about 50% sure Gayle will be his second in command. Sars has been vice captain for two Lara terms and one of Chanderpaul, a total of four years with his appointment after the 2003 WC. He should have learned enough of what to do and what not to do.

Nishant

International 12th Man
The West Indies haven't shown any marked improvement under Lara, they've always been ranked 7/8 in ODIs and tests in the world in as far back as i can remember, this WC shows imo that they are not progressing as a side.
Rankings dont actually say much abt a team IMO! WI beat india 4-1 and won against the aussies a couple of times. They also got to the champions trophy final again...what were the chances of that happening again! Rankings shouldnt really determine how good a side is TBH! For example, ireland are not even ranked and Zimbabwe is! How does that make sense?