• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara confirms one-day retirement

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anyone but Chanderpaul, he was terrible as a captain from what I seen.
and he is in terrible form as a player right now. Ideally, once Lara retires, the team I mentioned in the first page of this thread should be the team for them, with Chanderpaul coming in for Lara.

Gayle
Devon Smith
Sarwan
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Ramdin
Dwayne Smith
Collymore
Taylor
Powell
Bradshaw

sounds a decent 12 to me, but the key is that the guys like Bravo, Ramdin, Gayle, Sarwan, Samuels should progress rather than regress, which is what they have done in this WC.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and he is in terrible form as a player right now. Ideally, once Lara retires, the team I mentioned in the first page of this thread should be the team for them, with Chanderpaul coming in for Lara.

Gayle
Devon Smith
Sarwan
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Ramdin
Dwayne Smith
Collymore
Taylor
Powell
Bradshaw

sounds a decent 12 to me, but the key is that the guys like Bravo, Ramdin, Gayle, Sarwan, Samuels should progress rather than regress, which is what they have done in this WC.
I would swap Chanderpaul and Sarwan around as I think Sarwan's ideal ODI spot is at #5 while Chanderpaul has proved to be the goods at the top of the order in the past. I honestly have no idea who should be captain out of the 12 people you have there, Chanderpaul was woeful last time while other candidates like Ramdin and Bravo are too young an inexperienced. Really it comes down to Sarwan and Gayle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would swap Chanderpaul and Sarwan around as I think Sarwan's ideal ODI spot is at #5 while Chanderpaul has proved to be the goods at the top of the order in the past. I honestly have no idea who should be captain out of the 12 people you have there, Chanderpaul was woeful last time while other candidates like Ramdin and Bravo are too young an inexperienced. Really it comes down to Sarwan and Gayle.
yeah, neither fill me with any real excitement either as captaincy prospects, but Windies cricket is in that kind of a state, what to do?

I guess they just have to make the best out of a bad situation.

Perm

yeah, neither fill me with any real excitement either as captaincy prospects, but Windies cricket is in that kind of a state, what to do?

I guess they just have to make the best out of a bad situation.
They'll be seriously struggling in Test's for a decent captain, even though Gayle and Sarwan are both established players and assured of a spot they are pretty poor Test batsman and will struggle to lead by example. Devon Smith is another candidate, but would go with Bravo and Ramdin being too young and inexperienced.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They'll be seriously struggling in Test's for a decent captain, even though Gayle and Sarwan are both established players and assured of a spot they are pretty poor Test batsman and will struggle to lead by example. Devon Smith is another candidate, but would go with Bravo and Ramdin being too young and inexperienced.
Well, indications are that Sarwan is the one who is gonna be in charge. Let us hope he can do a AB and get Windies out of this rut.

Perm

Well, indications are that Sarwan is the one who is gonna be in charge. Let us hope he can do a AB and get Windies out of this rut.
He's probably a decent enough captain, he has been leading Guyana for a couple of seasons now I think and I haven't heard anything negative come out of that appointment. If he does get the job, which is pretty likely, then I hope that it would allow him to step his batting up a level in Test cricket. Currently he only averages 38 which isn't really good enough, with his amount of talent he should be up around 45.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He's probably a decent enough captain, he has been leading Guyana for a couple of seasons now I think and I haven't heard anything negative come out of that appointment. If he does get the job, which is pretty likely, then I hope that it would allow him to step his batting up a level in Test cricket. Currently he only averages 38 which isn't really good enough, with his amount of talent he should be up around 45.
yeah, but he is someone who I think will do better with the added responsibility. Let's see. I really hope guys like Clarke, Sarwan, Pieterson, Yuvraj and co. can really turn it on so that the next generation of batting remains strong.

Perm

yeah, but he is someone who I think will do better with the added responsibility. Let's see. I really hope guys like Clarke, Sarwan, Pieterson, Yuvraj and co. can really turn it on so that the next generation of batting remains strong.
He gives me the same impression, somebody who needs the added responsibility of leadership in order to fully unlock his potential. Hopefully the responsibility doesn't get to him too much and he doesn't completely lose his batting form. The next generation does look good in the batting department once you mention those guys who are all about 26 or 27 years old and really looking to step up their careers.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Lara was a great player in one day games...but i rate him even more of late. He has played for the team and helped the west indies a lot over te last 1 and a half yrs TBH! He was made captain and played to help the team. He transfomed a team which was said to be only competitive against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe into a great unit! He may retire now as the WC is over for WI....but he has regenerated the enthusiasm in cricket for the fans of WI...he reassured them that WI is still a great cricketing nation and this revolution began against india IMO! He shuffled his position in the batting order to help his team...so that youngsters can be tried out and discovered! Even though this world cup hanot been great for the WI, i think lara will leave them in a decent state in One day cricket!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Lara was a great player in one day games...but i rate him even more of late. He has played for the team and helped the west indies a lot over te last 1 and a half yrs TBH! He was made captain and played to help the team. He transfomed a team which was said to be only competitive against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe into a great unit! He may retire now as the WC is over for WI....but he has regenerated the enthusiasm in cricket for the fans of WI...he reassured them that WI is still a great cricketing nation and this revolution began against india IMO! He shuffled his position in the batting order to help his team...so that youngsters can be tried out and discovered! Even though this world cup hanot been great for the WI, i think lara will leave them in a decent state in One day cricket!
The West Indies haven't shown any marked improvement under Lara, they've always been ranked 7/8 in ODIs and tests in the world in as far back as i can remember, this WC shows imo that they are not progressing as a side.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Gayle
Devon Smith
Sarwan
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Ramdin
Dwayne Smith
Collymore
Taylor
Powell
Bradshaw

Up until three weeks ago Shivnarine was averaging close to 100 in ODI cricket for this year. Can't see how someone as poor as Devon Smith could ever be put in front of Chanderpaul considering his partnership with Gayle regardless of this World Cup is notoriously one of the best around. Sarwan for me also needs to bat lower probably five for his an excellent finisher.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Out of curiosity, where did the captaincy go wrong for the Windies? Most teams out there have their captains training up a very young guy so that they can take over when the captain calls it a day. Who was the last good captain for the Windies and why hasn't a young lad come up afterwards with the brains to learn from the good captain and carry on after him? No offence to Lara, but I never saw him as that good a captain...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Up until three weeks ago Shivnarine was averaging close to 100 in ODI cricket for this year. Can't see how someone as poor as Devon Smith could ever be put in front of Chanderpaul considering his partnership with Gayle regardless of this World Cup is notoriously one of the best around. Sarwan for me also needs to bat lower probably five for his an excellent finisher.
Devon Smith has been doing well in the last two ODIs he has played and Shiv has clearly struggled to even put bat to ball in this WC, except against Zim.