• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan U/19s in Australia

brockley

International Captain
Reality check for young Aussies

April 10, 2007 AUSTRALIA'S cricketers of the future face a major challenge when they play world No.1 Pakistan in a five-match, Under 19 series starting in Brisbane on Friday.

Selectors are using the series to develop a squad to challenge for the 2008 U-19 World Cup in Malaysia, and Pakistan has won the past two competitions.

The Australia captaincy will be rotated in order to build a strong leadership base, with New South Wales's Simon Keen getting first go.

"India and Pakistan are the acknowledged world leaders when it comes to youth cricket with huge emphasis and resources placed in this area," said Australian team coach Brian McFayden.

"The Pakistan team have a different style of play to what is familiar in Australian youth cricket and this should give our players valuable experience."

The first two matches are at the Allan Border Field in Brisbane, with the final three at Caloundra.

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Are Anwar Ali and that Jamshed guy still U19? If they are then Aussies U19 is in big trouble.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure Anwar Ali is playing for the Pakistan Academy at the moment in a Tri-series against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

brockley

International Captain
AUSTRALIA: Daniel Burns (NSW), Matthew Day (NSW), James Faulkner (NSW), Phillip Hughes (NSW), Simon Keen (NSW), David Murphy (NSW), Kumar Sarna (Vic), Michael Hill (Vic), Dom O'Brien (Qld), Shaun Austin (Qld), James Smith (SA), Nathan Couter-Nile (WA).
PAKISTAN: Ahmed Shehzad (capt), Imad Wasim (v-capt), Ali Jawad, Gulraiz Sadaf, Junaid Khan, Junaid Malik, Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Rameez, Rahat Ullah, Shahzaib Ahmed, Shan Masood, Taimur Ali, Umar Amin, Zeeshan Mushtaq.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd expect Imad Wasim to do a fair bit of damage, depending on how receptive the wickets are at AB Field for spin (traditionally, not very). He's a very handy bowler, although very flat.

readie

State Regular
AUSTRALIA: Daniel Burns (NSW), Matthew Day (NSW), James Faulkner (NSW), Phillip Hughes (NSW), Simon Keen (NSW), David Murphy (NSW), Kumar Sarna (Vic), Michael Hill (Vic), Dom O'Brien (Qld), Shaun Austin (Qld), James Smith (SA), Nathan Couter-Nile (WA).
PAKISTAN: Ahmed Shehzad (capt), Imad Wasim (v-capt), Ali Jawad, Gulraiz Sadaf, Junaid Khan, Junaid Malik, Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Rameez, Rahat Ullah, Shahzaib Ahmed, Shan Masood, Taimur Ali, Umar Amin, Zeeshan Mushtaq.

He's a quality played an U 16's rep game against him a few years back and he was freakishly talented. He had an amazing aura of confidence about his strokeplay.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
This is a good opportunity for Pakistan to build towards their defence of the WC in 2008.

I would hope we get to play against a strong Indian youth outfit at some point this year - I think that and this series will give us a gauge of where we stand at.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
He is not that good tbh struggled in Sydney Grade Cricket this year till he made like an 80in the final.
that doesn't mean thats hes not that good, some players take time to adjust to grade cricket. It could also simply have been a form slump. That he made 80 in the final suggests to me that his club rate him pretty highly even if he did have a rough season.

readie

State Regular
that doesn't mean thats hes not that good, some players take time to adjust to grade cricket. It could also simply have been a form slump. That he made 80 in the final suggests to me that his club rate him pretty highly even if he did have a rough season.
Yer I haven't seen him for a 2 years or so. I only know how good he was back then

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I went and watched a fair bit of this game today, Hughes was impressive making 102 out of Australia's about 240 I think. Pakistan were 2/140 with 21 overs to go when I left.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
D Burns

I used to play against Daniel Burns in juniors, and I'm suprised at his rise to the top. He didn't do much against anyone really on the synthetic, but at the age of 17, he has already playing first grade at Bankstown and he pushed a under 19 player - Pat Darwen to another club team.

Either way, he's been performing well for NSW, was playing 19s when he was only 17.

If anyone finds the link to the game, please post.

I used to play against Daniel Burns in juniors, and I'm suprised at his rise to the top. He didn't do much against anyone really on the synthetic, but at the age of 17, he has already playing first grade at Bankstown and he pushed a under 19 player - Pat Darwen to another club team.

Either way, he's been performing well for NSW, was playing 19s when he was only 17.

If anyone finds the link to the game, please post.
Pat Darwen is like more of a batsmen now anyway which shows how poor his offies were.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough

But the fact of the matter is that Darwen was batting at number 11 for Bankstown which means that he was playing as a bolwer. I know Burns personally and a lot of people who are around the Bankstown set up, many say that because he goes to Wesfields SPorts, his coach their, Ian Gill has given him the inside track at Bankstown.

But the fact of the matter is that Darwen was batting at number 11 for Bankstown which means that he was playing as a bolwer. I know Burns personally and a lot of people who are around the Bankstown set up, many say that because he goes to Wesfields SPorts, his coach their, Ian Gill has given him the inside track at Bankstown.
He definetly is talented and I mean a lot more talented than Darwen. So why not give him a long go as a youngster he is just going to learn from it.Similar case with Sam Robson.