• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2011 XI Prediction thread

simmy

International Regular
So.. who do you think will be the stars in 4 years time?!

I will post mine once I have chosen the bowlers as they seemingly need more thought than the batters.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Possible England XI:

IR Bell
AN Cook*
KP Pietersen
PD Collingwood
JC Hildreth
RS Bopara
A Flintoff
SM Davies+
SCJ Broad
MS Panesar
JM Anderson

simmy

International Regular
Possible England XI:

IR Bell
AN Cook*
KP Pietersen
PD Collingwood
JC Hildreth
RS Bopara
A Flintoff
SM Davies+
SCJ Broad
MS Panesar
JM Anderson
It wasn't really country specific Barney. More a prediction of a WORLD XI.

I agree with your England XI though mind, especially with Broad's inclusion.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
It wasn't really country specific Barney. More a prediction of a WORLD XI.

I agree with your England XI though mind, especially with Broad's inclusion.
Yeah, I knew what you meant with the thread. Just wanted to add my two cents about England, thought the other future stars would be pointed out soon enough. :)

simmy

International Regular
I feel this could become an interesting discussion as the Bangladesh team all look to have so much potential, along with people like Boyd Rankin of Ireland and the other obvious bigger names such as Clarke and Pietersen.

simmy

International Regular
Cook IMO is going to be a big star in the future.
More so in Tests than ODIs I feel. He is a quality act though obviously with an excellent head on his shoulders.

England have really good youngsters coming through IMO, especially with people with Broad, Bopara, Bell and Cook.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will be looking for guys like Patel and Taylor to dominate from New Zealand.

simmy

International Regular
Will be looking for guys like Patel and Taylor to dominate from New Zealand.
Taylor more than Patel IMO. I haven't been overly impressed by Patel.

Mohammed Ashraful could be another big name in the coming years. He has a good big game temperament as well as an obvious talent.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor more than Patel IMO. I haven't been overly impressed by Patel.

Mohammed Ashraful could be another big name in the coming years. He has a good big game temperament as well as an obvious talent.
Definately, but Patel has been reasonably steady without impressing all the time. He certainly does a job for the team and is quite good at it. Nowhere near the levels of Vettori though.

simmy

International Regular
Definately, but Patel has been reasonably steady without impressing all the time. He certainly does a job for the team and is quite good at it. Nowhere near the levels of Vettori though.
Your use of "does a job" is interesting...

I hope he doesn't become the Kiwi Ashley Giles!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So.. who do you think will be the stars in 4 years time?!
Maybe there might be new teams for all, as the opening ceremony of the 2009 Champions Trophy might be hit by an earthquake, rendering all the players there perminantly disabled and incapable of playing cricket ever again...

Which is a long-winded way of saying that 4 years is such a long time threads like this are nothing more than an excuse to make random guesses.

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia
Michael Clarke: at 30 years old he could be at his peak and score plenty of runs for the aussies at number 4.
Shaun Tait: at 28 and having grown in stature during the current world cup tait may spear head the aussie attack in 2011.
England
Kevin Pietersen: he'll be 30 in 2011 and like clarke for aussie will score plenty of runs for england at no.4, hes currently their best player and still will be in 2011.
James Andersen: i think he will continue to grow over the next 4 years and at 28 be a force opening the bowling and swinging the ball for the poms.
India
Robin Uthappa: By 2011 he'll be 25 and i expect this man to grow into a very decent cricketer.
Sreesanth: he will grow into a great odi bowler and be 28 by 2011.
New Zealand
Ross Taylor: will be 27 in 4 years time and is a given that he will be the key man for nz in 2011. this man has loads of talent.
Daniel Vettori: will be 32, hugely experienced and probly nz's skipper. so expect a big world cup from dan the man in 2011.
Brendon McCullum: his keeping has been unbelievable this world cup and his batting continues to improve out of sight. i expect the 29 year old mccullum to win nz some games in 2011 with his quick running and big hitting.
Pakistan
Shahid Afridi: i hope that by 2011 a 31 yr old afridi will be a smarter player and be at his dynamic best in 2011 (i hope)
Mohammad Asif: the 28 year old will be back and bowling well in 2011.
South Africa
Graeme Smith: the south african skipper will be talking more then ever in 2011 and at 30 scoring plenty of runs also.
AB De Villiers: the talented young man will be 27 in 2011 and be a brilliant batsmen at the top of the order for sa and be fielder of the tournament.
Dale Steyn: all of south africas bowlers at this world cup will be in their mid thirties by 2011 so the then 27 year old will step up as opening bowler.
Sri Lanka
Upul Thranga: in 2011 the 26 year old will be more experienced and scoring plenty of runs in the cup.
Lasith Malinga: 27 years by 2011 and malinga will be at his best in the world cup. knocking over plenty of stumps.
West Indies
Ramnaresh Sarwan: at 30 years he will be west indies best batsmen in 2011.
Dwayne Bravo: by 2011 he'll be 27 and will have finally reached his potential and be a devastating all rounder.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hhhm no talks about the minnows yet? who will be the 2011 minnows? even though i would call them minnows(associates)- Kenya, Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland, Namibia, ?Afghanistan?

pup11

International Coach
Frankly speaking 4 years is such a long time that predicting anything is tough because life is so unpredictable.

Anyways my Aussie 15 for WC 2011 :-

1.Phil Jacques
2.L.Ronchi (WK)
3.M.Clarke (C)
4.S.Watson
5.A.Symonds
6.M.Hussey (VC)
7.C.White
8.B.Lee
9.N.Bracken
10.S.Tait
11.B.Hilfenhaus

12.M.Johnson
13.D.Cullen/N.Hauritz
14.M.Cosgrove
15.M.Henriques

Ponting to be the captain (and bat #3) if he is still playing odi's in 2011.