• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan not good enough for OD

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
England have named their squad for the OD series against Australia and Sri Lanka.

The squad is N.Hussain(c), K.Ali, I.Blackwell, A.Caddick, P.Collingwood, A.Flintoff, S.Harmison, R.Irani, R.Key, R.Kirtley, N.Knight, O.Shah, J.Snape, A.Stewart, M.Trescothick, C.White...

The main omissions were M.Vaughan :O:O:O:O:O M.Butcher and R.Dawson...

What i can't believe is how they can leave out their best batsman???
I mean yeah its a different game but he is the only batsman who has really looked comfortable against the Aussie bowlers and the ball that has had him in trouble (bouncer) would not trouble him as much in the one dayers...
What do u english think, should he be there????

Rich2001

International Captain
Don't worry GB Iam sure one of the English batsman will no doubt pick up an injury in the two warm up games and M.Vaughan will be back

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
whats the point of that? they have already lost the test series so why dont they rest him for that and try and win the one day series? doesnt hat seem more logical?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He's knackered so it's fine to give him a rest, especially as he's never really been a great OD batsman. Butcher left out as he again is not a OD player and Dawson...because he's thought of as more of a Test bowler. Anyway Snape takes his place in the ODI Squad. Interisting to see how Blackwell and Kabir Ali do...

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I dont see how the Poms could be happy from any perspective. He has easily been their best batsmen against the Aussies, and just because its a different style of game, it's still the same basic batsmen v bowler game.

I'd say he's been dropped to allow him to rest up and try and make something of the last two tests. I think the Pom's would rather win the last two tests than win the One Day series, even though they'll probably do neither.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hollioake is set to play in Flintoff's place.

Amazingly Butcher has never played an ODI, despite his medium pace option being useful.

Right to leave Vaughan IMO, he needs a break.

Kabir Ali, that's an interesting one - another I predicted 6 months back but never revealed...

Rich2001

International Captain
Hehe and you (Marc) all dogged the subject of Kent's R.Key being rewarded for a good tour with a place in the One Day side.

*Waits for Marc to tell me how poor Key is at the One Day game and how he will never make it* :P :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by hourn
I dont see how the Poms could be happy from any perspective. He has easily been their best batsmen against the Aussies, and just because its a different style of game, it's still the same basic batsmen v bowler game.

I'd say he's been dropped to allow him to rest up and try and make something of the last two tests. I think the Pom's would rather win the last two tests than win the One Day series, even though they'll probably do neither.
Just because he's our best Test Batsman doesn't mean that he's our best ODI Batsman...he's not really put any scores together really and averages only 19.70 with the bat...also if you've got a bad knee, one of the worst things is to run around in a ODI...it's gonna damage your knee even more!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Originally posted by broncoman
whats the point of that? they have already lost the test series so why dont they rest him for that and try and win the one day series? doesnt hat seem more logical?
Long term gain is better than short term gain. Finally the English selectors are realizing that. Don't risk getting your best batsman further injured to salvage a tour you've already conceded.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by Rik

Just because he's our best Test Batsman doesn't mean that he's our best ODI Batsman...he's not really put any scores together really and averages only 19.70 with the bat...also if you've got a bad knee, one of the worst things is to run around in a ODI...it's gonna damage your knee even more!
i thought he must have had in injury of some sought, in which case its probably best to have him rest.

If he was fit though, you'd have to have him in there.

Matty Hayden had done nothing in ODI, but after he's great form in the test scene, we stuck him in the ODI team and he's really turned it on there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
i thought he must have had in injury of some sought, in which case its probably best to have him rest.

If he was fit though, you'd have to have him in there.

Matty Hayden had done nothing in ODI, but after he's great form in the test scene, we stuck him in the ODI team and he's really turned it on there.
Yes but I don't quite think Vaughan can, ok I feel Vaughan has done really well in the Test Series, Hayden has faced a weak England attack and Vaughan has had to face Warne, Gillespie and McGrath. But Vaughan just gets out too much in ODIs.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by broncoman
Long term gain is better than short term gain. Finally the English selectors are realizing that. Don't risk getting your best batsman further injured to salvage a tour you've already conceded.
Yeah maybe but wouldn't that mean rest him rather than keep playing him in the Test series and destroy his knee all together????

Simon

if crawley is fit in time for the fourth test they dont need to risk Vaughan do they. Key is a natural opener and im sure he would perform even better than he has.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rich2001
Hehe and you (Marc) all dogged the subject of Kent's R.Key being rewarded for a good tour with a place in the One Day side.

*Waits for Marc to tell me how poor Key is at the One Day game and how he will never make it* :P :D
Didn't dodge it, I half expected it, and think it's good to be having someone with a bit of fight out there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah maybe but wouldn't that mean rest him rather than keep playing him in the Test series and destroy his knee all together????
He only really needs a few weeks break, and the 4th Test is 3 weeks away, which is about right - same for Hoggard, he needs a break.

anzac

International Debutant
If memory serves correctly Vaughan has only really cemented his place as opener in the tests after a good home series v India - and I think he got his opportunity in the series because of injury / loss of form to the other contenders. Didn't it used to be a 3 way tussle between Butcher, Knight & Vaughan to partner Trescothick.

He has never been 1st choice to partner Trescothick in ODI - that has fallen to Knight.

or have I got it round the wrong way??????

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Vaughan was always in line, just waiting for Atherton to go.

Butcher has reinvented himself as a number 3.

Knight probably won't ever play Test Cricket again.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Right but he is a good ODI opener, hence Vaughan being stuck in the middle order. I think Vaughan will get more chances to play there and may even succedd Knight to partner Tres in the ODI side as well.

I'd love to see Hollioake in there again. I could never understand why he hasn't been in all along. In the one day game he is the best AR we've had for years, yet he constantly got overlooked for others, including his brother who wasn't as good a player IMO.