• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen's Catch

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was having a conversation with a few mates a month or so ago, discussing pretty much what happened last night with Pietersen's catch - in fact, it might have been when Cameron White threw that ball back into play vs NZ. Now, AFAIK, the rule concerning a catch is that all you need to do is complete the catch. Pietersen had control of how he disposed of the ball, had control of the ball in his hand. IMO, it should be adjudged a catch.

Do the rules specifically state otherwise? Your opinions?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I think it should be out when you have controll of the ball and you can land both your feet in than throw it away. I actually didn't see what happen so can anyone explain what happend?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The commentators were having a discussion about how the exact rule states that you need to have control of the body as well as the ball or something. By throwing the ball away while still moving (and not moving as part of a celebration) he wasnt in control i guess.

I have to say if someone had a catch like that accepted against England id be pretty annoyed! so no complaints here.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The law states pretty clearly that you must be in control of the ball as well as your own movements, in which case Pietersen was not in control of his movements, meaning that the catch wasn't given.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Thinking about it, it would be cool if when he was off balance, threw the ball super high up in the air in field, and then ran to go and catch it. Pretty impossible, but would be awesome to watch.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thinking about it, it would be cool if when he was off balance, threw the ball super high up in the air in field, and then ran to go and catch it. Pretty impossible, but would be awesome to watch.
I remember someone in a domestic one dayer in Aus threw it to a team-mate a while ago.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I remember someone in a domestic one dayer in Aus threw it to a team-mate a while ago.
It was Shane Watson when he was still playing for Tasmania i'm pretty sure. The guy he threw it to was only a couple of meters away from him, but still a good effort

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wasn't a catch according to the rules and I think the rules in this instant are fair too, if you want people's opinions on the rules. Pieterson did the best he could in the given situation.

pup11

International Coach
I think it was fair enough call from the umpires because though Pietersen was in control of the ball for a while but his momentum was carrying him over the ropes, so one can't say he was in total control of the catch.

simmy

International Regular
I think the law is wrong as far as this is concerned.

If KP had the piece of mind to throw the ball back in then he had control of it and therefore it is a catch.

One thing I will say, is that it was a phenomenal bit of work. He had quite a game!

open365

International Vice-Captain
It wasn't a catch by the laws of the game and imo the law makes sense.

Does anyone remember an incident like this a few years ago in the 2020?

A Leicester outfielder(Maddy or Robinson i think) caught it running back about 4 yards from the boundary then turned around and ran over the the fans who'd been givin him a bit of stick, the batsmen contested the decision saying it was an excuse for not having control of himself but the catch still stood.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The law states pretty clearly that you must be in control of the ball as well as your own movements, in which case Pietersen was not in control of his movements, meaning that the catch wasn't given.
That's rubbish. Of course he had control of his movements. It's not as if he was there thinking "****! Why are my legs moving?! How do I make them stop?" That there was no possible way he could stay in the field because he was unbalanced doesn't mean he couldn't control his movements. If that's the wording of the law it's ****e.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
It wasn't a catch by the laws of the game and imo the law makes sense.

Does anyone remember an incident like this a few years ago in the 2020?

A Leicester outfielder(Maddy or Robinson i think) caught it running back about 4 yards from the boundary then turned around and ran over the the fans who'd been givin him a bit of stick, the batsmen contested the decision saying it was an excuse for not having control of himself but the catch still stood.
I think that might have been Brad Hodge actually, in a Twenty20 game.