• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen's Catch

simmy

International Regular
That's rubbish. Of course he had control of his movements. It's not as if he was there thinking "****! Why are my legs moving?! How do I make them stop?" That there was no possible way he could stay in the field because he was unbalanced doesn't mean he couldn't control his movements. If that's the wording of the law it's ****e.
I completely agree. If he has the presence of mind to stay in the pitch and throw the ball back in.. then he by default is in control.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the law is wrong as far as this is concerned.

QUOTE]

Yep, nonsense law that's only come about since the introduction of boundary ropes.

He obviously caught the ball whilst inside the boundary - end of story

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's rubbish. Of course he had control of his movements. It's not as if he was there thinking "****! Why are my legs moving?! How do I make them stop?" That there was no possible way he could stay in the field because he was unbalanced doesn't mean he couldn't control his movements. If that's the wording of the law it's ****e.
In a sense he couldn't control his movements otherwise he would have stopped moving, taken the catch and then the batsman would have been out. But since he wasn't able to keep his balance, then he didn't really have control of his movements did he?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
You can stop a four by stopping the ball by going over the boundary rope as long as your not touching the rope at the time, why shouldn't the same apply to a catch? Fair enough if he was in the air when he took the catch and then landed on or over the rope but he took it inside the boundary and then after being in enough control of the ball to throw it back his momentum took him over.

However I'd be seething if Australia had taken the catch and it was given.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
In a sense he couldn't control his movements otherwise he would have stopped moving, taken the catch and then the batsman would have been out. But since he wasn't able to keep his balance, then he didn't really have control of his movements did he?
I suppose it's open to interpretation, he was in control of his body enough not to fall over and spasm. He was not in control of the momentum but the steps he took were his...

:laugh: rubbish

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thinking about it, it would be cool if when he was off balance, threw the ball super high up in the air in field, and then ran to go and catch it. Pretty impossible, but would be awesome to watch.
not as silly as it sounds. could have given it a go. would have been awesome. ive done it in back yard cricket once :laugh: