• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It seems like Bangladesh is winning their 'minnow' battle against England

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Below is their record against the top teams.

Bangladesh

Played - 5 (Aus,NZL, Sri, Ind, SAF)
Won - 2 (Ind, SAF)
Lost - 3 (Aus, NZL, Sri)
Win % - 40

It's sad that their match against India doesn't count in the Super Eight.

England

Played - 3 (Aus,NZL, Sri,)
Won - 0
Lost - 3 (Aus, NZL, Sri)
Win % - 0

Even if England wins against Bangladesh, their overall performance in this WC would still be worse than Bangladesh.

Really shows that among the minnows Bangladesh is marginally better than England and Ireland.

A big achievment for a country where first class cricket started just 6 years ago compared to a country who has a two hundred year cricket history.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't know what you intend to prove with this.

IF - and it is an if - England thrash Bangladesh when they get the chance all that will pale into insignificance.

Nor do I see any significance to cricket played by England in 1970 - never mind 1807. 8-)

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
IF - and it is an if - England thrash Bangladesh when they get the chance all that will pale into insignificance.
It wont change a thing. I dont count victories against teams who are not the top teams. To equal Bangladesh's performance in thios World Cup, England needs to defeat South Africa and West Indies. If they dont then Bangladesh to me would be the better team as their performance against the top teams have been better than England.

Bangladesh defeated South Africa so that doesn't mean Bangladesh have outperformed them. If South Africa's wins against England, West Indies and New Zealand and goes through then they outperformed Bangladesh but the reverse is nor true though Bangladesh defeated them.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I don't see the need for a new thread though. you could have posted this in the super 8 thread or the bangladesh threads that's already here and in the wc forum. I would suggest a mod to merge this into one of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wont change a thing. I dont count victories against teams who are not the top teams. To equal Bangladesh's performance in thios World Cup, England needs to defeat South Africa and West Indies. If they dont then Bangladesh to me would be the better team as their performance against the top teams have been better than England.
In which case Bangladesh cannot possibly have done better - since all games involving them - most significantly, their 2 victories - will be discounted.

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
In which case Bangladesh cannot possibly have done better - since all games involving them - most significantly, their 2 victories - will be discounted.
Bangladesh didn't win against Bangladesh....they won against India and South Africa......got that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, those games involved Bangladesh - if you wish to exclude games against substandard teams, you have to exclude those - so Bangladesh's record would read P 0 W 0 L 0.

See?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no he isn't talking about games with substandard teams, he's talking about how a team's performing against the top 8 and you know that's what he's talking about but just want to make it complicated.

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Err, those games involved Bangladesh - if you wish to exclude games against substandard teams, you have to exclude those - so Bangladesh's record would read P 0 W 0 L 0.

See?
Wins against susbstandard teams like England,Bangladesh and the associates shouldn't count. Like Bangladesh's victory over Bermuda or England's win over ireland shouldn't count.

But If teams like Bangladesh and England beats any of the top teams then that should count. England didn't beat any of the top sides but Bangladesh beat two of them. So you decide who did better in this world cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no he isn't talking about games with substandard teams, he's talking about how a team's performing against the top 8 and you know that's what he's talking about but just want to make it complicated.
I'm making no such effort - I'm pointing-out the flaws in what he's said.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wins against susbstandard teams like England,Bangladesh and the associates shouldn't count. Like Bangladesh's victory over Bermuda or England's win over ireland shouldn't count.

But If teams like Bangladesh and England beats any of the top teams then that should count.
Nope, doesn't work like that, you can't have it both ways.

Either a team is up-to-standard or it isn't.

Bangladesh aren't - so nothing involving them counts. Therefore they have won no games and no-one has won against them, in this analysis which counts for oh so much...

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nope, doesn't work like that, you can't have it both ways.

Either a team is up-to-standard or it isn't.

Bangladesh aren't - so nothing involving them counts. Therefore they have won no games and no-one has won against them, in this analysis which counts for oh so much...
lolzzzzz

1. Bangladesh and England are both substandard ODI teams.

2. Bangladesh beat two standard teams in this World Cup and England none.

3. Who has performed better?

Hope you get it this time!!!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
No the analysis is how many games have England and Bangladesh won against the top 8 in this world cup. So far Bangladesh = 2 England = 0.

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
No the analysis is how many games have England and Bangladesh won against the top 8 in this world cup. So far Bangladesh = 2 England = 0.

Exactly!!!

But you know he cannot accept the fact that Bangladesh outperformed England, really hard for him to digest that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
lolzzzzz

1. Bangladesh and England are both substandard ODI teams.

2. Bangladesh beat two standard teams in this World Cup and England none.

3. Who has performed better?

Hope you get it this time!!!
Bangladesh are actually substandard - England are merely very, very poor; the worst of the ODI-standard sides.

Let's wait until both teams have played ALL THEIR GAMES, shall we? Then we'll form the judgement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly!!!

But you know he cannot accept the fact that Bangladesh outperformed England, really hard for him to digest that.
Rubbish. It annoys me far more that Bangladesh beat South Africa than it ever would that they outperformed England.

As I say - don't tar me with the can't-take-the-inadequecies-of-your-own-country brush.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who exactly is trying to argue that Bangladesh are better than England? That's a ludicrous argument, and its just not true. As much as I think Bangladesh need to play more ODI (not test) against top eight nations, there is no way they are close to England.

England are one of the bottom teams in terms of ODI, but they are still 'in the pack', which consists of basically teams ranked 3-8, as there is surprisingly little to separate them. Bangladesh, at this moment, are not in that pack even if they are edging closer. In ten years, they may be right there but not right now.

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Who exactly is trying to argue that Bangladesh are better than England?
I am not saying that Bangladesh are better than England.

I am just saying Bangladesh performed better than England in this World Cup till now. They beat two quality teams while England haven't defeated even one.