• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It seems like Bangladesh is winning their 'minnow' battle against England

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Who exactly is trying to argue that Bangladesh are better than England? That's a ludicrous argument, and its just not true. As much as I think Bangladesh need to play more ODI (not test) against top eight nations, there is no way they are close to England.

England are one of the bottom teams in terms of ODI, but they are still 'in the pack', which consists of basically teams ranked 3-8, as there is surprisingly little to separate them. Bangladesh, at this moment, are not in that pack even if they are edging closer. In ten years, they may be right there but not right now.
No one is saying Bangladesh is a better side then England. What he was saying was that Bangladesh performed better in this world cup than England so far that's all, although i don't think he needed a separate thread to point that out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought most neutrals would be rooting for Bangladesh tbh, esp. considering how well Smith is liked. ;)
I'm not a neutral when South Africa are playing, and I've liked Graeme Smith ever since he... took consecutive double-centuries off us. :unsure:

South Africa have been my 2nd-fave team, with daylight 3rd, ever since the epic series of 1998 which captured my interest in the game for the first time.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well one thing that is true is that a new cricket fan looking at this World Cup in isolation would find it difficult to differentiate Bangladesh from one of the so called "up to standard" ODI sides. They've beaten all the true "minnow" sides and have pulled off two fairly comfortable victories against the other "up to standard sides".

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Who exactly is trying to argue that Bangladesh are better than England? That's a ludicrous argument, and its just not true. As much as I think Bangladesh need to play more ODI (not test) against top eight nations, there is no way they are close to England.

England are one of the bottom teams in terms of ODI, but they are still 'in the pack', which consists of basically teams ranked 3-8, as there is surprisingly little to separate them. Bangladesh, at this moment, are not in that pack even if they are edging closer. In ten years, they may be right there but not right now.

They'll be 'in the pack" a lot sooner than ten years, tbh.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
number of matches isn't the factor, time is and they are well ahead of nz when they 1st got it in that.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
number of matches isn't the factor, time is and they are well ahead of nz when they 1st got it in that.
says who? you are just twisting factors to suit your convenience here....:) ....i can as well say they got much more chances in their initial years than nz when they first came into international cricket, have had much more infrastructural and coaching support than nz and just haven't had the talent to make use of it....

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
maybe, but theirs has been by far the slowest progress in terms of number of matches, of all the entrants into international cricket....
but one of the fastest progress in ODIs if u just consider number of years

Sri lanka in 1987 World Cup didn't do much; they actually lost all six of their matches (that was about 5 years after they entered the international arena)

Zimbawe in 1996 lost all four of their matches against the test playing nations (that was about 4 years after ......)

Bangladesh in 2007 has lost 3 and won 2 against the test nations till now (6 years after ....)

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
says who? you are just twisting factors to suit your convenience here....:) ....i can as well say they got much more chances in their initial years than nz when they first came into international cricket, have had much more infrastructural and coaching support than nz and just haven't had the talent to make use of it....
says me :) but yeah because the players get better with experience yes but they don't become a lot better. So you have to wait for the new crops to get into the scene. And now after 6 years the new crops for bangladesh are starting to come through. You have to wait for latent to come your current players get a bit better but not a whole lot but they money the current players are brining are funding for better talents which are starting to come. So its more about time to see real changes.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
says me :) but yeah because the players get better with experience yes but they don't become a lot better. So you have to wait for the new crops to get into the scene. And now after 6 years the new crops for bangladesh are starting to come through. You have to wait for latent to come your current players get a bit better but not a whole lot but they money the current players are brining are funding for better talents which are starting to come. So its more about time to see real chances.
that's fine....and let's continue to see how this new "crop" makes use of the "real chances"....my point still stands though....

LA ICE-E

State Captain
that's fine....and let's continue to see how this new "crop" makes use of the "real chances"....my point still stands though....
meant changes

well, you seen some already right? plus matches gives expericence to the players there and they learn from that but that doesn't make a whole lot better so your points isn't invalid but is misleading a bit. Because new crop is the main thing but you have to bare with the old ones because they raise the fund.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
maybe, but theirs has been by far the slowest progress in terms of number of matches, of all the entrants into international cricket....
Only because there's that many more matches played nowadays than in the past.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
IF - and it is an if - England thrash Bangladesh when they get the chance all that will pale into insignificance.
If England defeat Bangladesh, even thrash them, that wont mean they have performed better than Bangladesh in the world cup. Teams can have bad days. You can't say which team performed better in the tournament based on 1 game.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Bangladesh have easily played better than England in this WC , i say this because England have underachieved and all their big players except KP have failed to perform, and England have also been very defensive in their approach and they simply lack some flair in their game.

In contrast Bangers have played some aggressive and fearless cricket, the youth of their side has really shown great attitude.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anil, quality players won't emerge straightaway when your team has got test status. IT takes a little time to get used to everything that goes with international cricket. Esp. for a team like Bangladesh, who are not exposed to top class training or infrastructure right off the bat. Given all that, I think Bangladesh are doing as well as any nation once they got test status. It generally takes a second-generation team to get a new side to be competitive due to a variety of reasons.