Thread: Ricky Ponting - the new captain!

Ricky Ponting - the new captain!

What do you think of the selection of Ricky Ponting as captain of Australia?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Well the selectors named the only player in Australia guaranteed a spot in the one-dayers as captain. My choice would have been Lehmann, a proven and confident captain with South Australia. But good luck to Punter as our new overlord, err, leader

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Lehmann :I

He plays one match in a year and suddenly hes a hero! He's a top notch state player, not an International one.

I would have just kept Steve in there in the first place. Sure, hes a bit out of form, but any bloke who can play 17 years of top class cricket deserves a bit of respect in my books.

I would have given it to Warney (Shane Warne) because he's been captain in a one-day match before when Waugh was injured, and back then with a not so good Australian side (no offence) he still won.

Had Lehmann had the chances at international level like Blewett, Langer, Ponting and co, no doubt he would proved to be a great international player. Hes only played 5 tests, not even the best can prove themselves in that shorter time. His one-day international career record is also very good.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I just dont see how 70 matches at an average of 33 is good...

Blewett played under 10 ODIs Langer has played under 10 ODIs....

Better average than S. Waugh, and he played 325 matches. Im talking about in the test team, not just the One-Day team with Lehamnn not getting chances.

Thread Information