• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting - the new captain!

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well the selectors named the only player in Australia guaranteed a spot in the one-dayers as captain. My choice would have been Lehmann, a proven and confident captain with South Australia. But good luck to Punter as our new overlord, err, leader :D

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lehmann :I

He plays one match in a year and suddenly hes a hero! He's a top notch state player, not an International one.

I would have just kept Steve in there in the first place. Sure, hes a bit out of form, but any bloke who can play 17 years of top class cricket deserves a bit of respect in my books.

G

I would have given it to Warney (Shane Warne) because he's been captain in a one-day match before when Waugh was injured, and back then with a not so good Australian side (no offence) he still won.

Andre

International Regular
Had Lehmann had the chances at international level like Blewett, Langer, Ponting and co, no doubt he would proved to be a great international player. Hes only played 5 tests, not even the best can prove themselves in that shorter time. His one-day international career record is also very good.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
I just dont see how 70 matches at an average of 33 is good...

Blewett played under 10 ODIs Langer has played under 10 ODIs....

Andre

International Regular
Better average than S. Waugh, and he played 325 matches. Im talking about in the test team, not just the One-Day team with Lehamnn not getting chances.