• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drop Vaughan, keep Strauss

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yes, TBH. Strauss is just as useless in ODIs as Vaughan, doesn't bowl and can't captain in ODIs. If you're gonna drop one of them, drop him.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Strauss has ODI hundreds, Vaughan dosent even have an 80.
He does have an 80, he actually has a couple of 90s.

Also, all of Strauss' ODI hundreds bar one have come against minnows, and the one that didn't came against a horribly weak WI side.

You've got to look beyond statistics. Strauss is a minnow-basher, which has been concealing his lack of ODI know-how for years now.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
He does have an 80, he actually has a couple of 90s.

Also, all of Strauss' ODI hundreds bar one have come against minnows, and the one that didn't came against a horribly weak WI side.

You've got to look beyond statistics. Strauss is a minnow-basher, which has been concealing his lack of ODI know-how for years now.
No he dosent, the pundits were furious his top score is 80*

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fine 90* thats still shocking for his reputation
Yes, but that doesn't make Strauss any less shocking, just because he happens to have made runs against rubbish attacks. Vaughan's 90* actually came against Australia IIRC, so if he'd got those extra ten runs this thread might not have existed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, he who still holds-out any hope for either in ODIs is delusional. The two of them were dismissed today by Shaun Tait - a new low.

Swervy

International Captain
Seriously, he who still holds-out any hope for either in ODIs is delusional. The two of them were dismissed today by Shaun Tait - a new low.
who actually bowled really well today...maybe you havent watched it yet Richard (it wouldnt surprise me to be honest)

DCC_legend

International Regular
He was bowling V.well today TBH.

IMO just drop them both, Call up Mal Loye and some one else, thena ppoint Paul Collingwood as captain. Problem Solved.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
who actually bowled really well today...maybe you havent watched it yet Richard (it wouldnt surprise me to be honest)
I did watch both dismissals - and both dragged-on nothing balls, playing with angled bats.

Tait may have bowled well but those 2 wickets (not so the Collingwood one) were terrible batting for which no credit can be attributed to the accuracy of the bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was bowling V.well today TBH.

IMO just drop them both, Call up Mal Loye and some one else, thena ppoint Paul Collingwood as captain. Problem Solved.
Calling-up Loye is posthumous now, though. Loye's time has come and gone.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I did watch both dismissals - and both dragged-on nothing balls, playing with angled bats.

Tait may have bowled well but those 2 wickets (not so the Collingwood one) were terrible batting for which no credit can be attributed to the accuracy of the bowlers.
Indeed. Tait bowled brilliantly, but Vaughan and Strauss were shocking.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lets drop both of em, but who could replace them, long-term?
Well Marcus Trescothick will obviously come back if he's recovered - he's only 31 and should make WC2011. And TBH, I think James Benning should be the man picked to partner him, though like Loye it does worry me a bit that he's a manufactured opener - in the First-Class game he's a middle-order batsman and, AFAIK, he's never opened before doing so for Surrey.

Nor is it OOTQ that Bell might open with him. I do even wonder about Joseph Denly, though selecting within the next year would be pure stupidity.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Threschothick wont go on any more tours, because his wife sleeps around whilst he's away. That was his 'mental breakdown'