• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England captaincy and ODIs

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Still no centuaries for Vaughan in ODIs - and I'll be amazed if he gets one in this WC - it makes me think. Do England even consider one-day cricket when it comes to captaincy? Vaughan is not the first example of this - Nasser Hussain admits in his book he wasn't good at one-day cricket and Mike Atherton started the summer of 1993 out of the ODI team and ended it as captain! And of course if Vaughan goes as captain after this WC Strauss might be the new captain - and he hasn't got into the WC team until today.The funny thing is the other countries seem to have captains that deserve their place in Test AND ODI cricket -the only non English captain I can think of who wasn't worthy of an ODI place was MarkTaylor (one ODI centuary in his career, none before he became captain). IMO England either should split the captaincy or pick a man who is worthy of a place in both forms of the game - because lets face it if Vaughan wasn't captain he wouldn't be playing today. To think - Vaughan got the ODI captaincy after the last WC because of brilliant TEST performances. Go figure...

readie

State Regular
Kevin Pietersen should captain England. He'll captain England with some fire he's cemented his side in the team and seems to be the type of player who performs under pressure or when the chips are down.

He's one of the only players in their team (Collingwood,and Flintoff aside) who could play anysort of Captain's Knock.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Collingwood should be captain in both forms of the game, and Vaughan should be dropped until he gets fit.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Kevin Pietersen should captain England. He'll captain England with some fire he's cemented his side in the team and seems to be the type of player who performs under pressure or when the chips are down.

He's one of the only players in their team (Collingwood,and Flintoff aside) who could play anysort of Captain's Knock.
Good Shout

DCC_legend

International Regular

You can't just say KP to captain england because he can hit the ball around the park. OK, he is the best player in the England team, but what about his captaincy skills?
Would he be able to get the players going when there backs are against the wall?
What about Bowling strategies? When to take power plays etc.

He might be able to play a "captains knock" but if he can't get the team going, to justify his knock, i don't think there is any chance of him being captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's pretty obvious that England selectors take ages and sometimes fail completely to recognise that a player good at one form of the game can (and is - quite often - too) be poor at the other. Usually it's good at Tests and crap at ODIs, too. Which means that ODIs are usually the form that suffer most.

I can't see any option as the next ODI captain (and above all I hope and pray that Vaughan's Test captaincy credentials aren't called into question the coming summer) without some serious caveats. Pietersen genuinely does seem the best option - and Pietersen as captain has the potential to be a recipe for disaster in several areas. It also, of course, has the potential to be a phenominal success and knowing Pietersen it'd be odds-law that it would end-up being. But I don't think it's a decision that could be taken without a hell of an ominous feeling.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Maybe Strauss as test captian until Vaughan proves he's fit at county level. Then Bring Vaughan back into the fold.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I don't see that Vaughan's not fit. His knee appears to be fine for the moment. Sure, he's only played one-day games since his comeback, but right now if he gets through the rest of the Cup I'd be perfectly happy to put him straight back in the Test side on May 17th.

Obviously, if at any point he's not available, Strauss should be next in line in the Test side.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Strauss is good tactically, because of the job he does at Middlesex. However a KP/Flintoff style skipper, would show real passion an heart. We have no one who falls into both categories.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I'm less than convinced about Strauss tactically. He's perfectly sound, there are no glaring holes the way there, occasionally, are with Flintoff, but he's no genius or anything. And his Middlesex experience is overrated, too - he did the job for 1 whole season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah - appointed for the 2003 season, England regular within a year.
Think he's played 6 or 7 First-Class games for Middx at best since the Lord's Test of 2004.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Yeah - appointed for the 2003 season, England regular within a year.
Think he's played 6 or 7 First-Class games for Middx at best since the Lord's Test of 2004.
Thats the problem with having England players at your club, they play 3-4 games a season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In this day and age, yes.

Since 2000, the international schedule has been ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... no, I don't complain... as long as I don't think about it too hard.

TBH, I think of it as rather like Global Warming and the dominance of bat over ball of the last 5 or 6 years - it's terrifying when you actually sit down and think about the consequences... but it's thoroughly pleasant when you just lazily contemplate it casually.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not mine of origin, I confess, I just have a long memory.

Matthew Engel is the man to credit. Or, at least, he was the one that mentioned Global Warming and the dominance of bat. I added the bit about the heavy schedule.