Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England captaincy and ODIs

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    In this day and age, yes.

Since 2000, the international schedule has been ridiculous.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In this day and age, yes.

Since 2000, the international schedule has been ridiculous.
    We can't complain though. It makes for plenty of cricket to watch all year round.
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

Well... no, I don't complain... as long as I don't think about it too hard.

TBH, I think of it as rather like Global Warming and the dominance of bat over ball of the last 5 or 6 years - it's terrifying when you actually sit down and think about the consequences... but it's thoroughly pleasant when you just lazily contemplate it casually.

Good comparsion, I must say.

Not mine of origin, I confess, I just have a long memory.

Matthew Engel is the man to credit. Or, at least, he was the one that mentioned Global Warming and the dominance of bat. I added the bit about the heavy schedule.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Still no centuaries for Vaughan in ODIs - and I'll be amazed if he gets one in this WC - it makes me think. Do England even consider one-day cricket when it comes to captaincy? Vaughan is not the first example of this - Nasser Hussain admits in his book he wasn't good at one-day cricket and Mike Atherton started the summer of 1993 out of the ODI team and ended it as captain!
    Atherton was actually an extremely under-rated ODI batsman IMO...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Is this is about the ODI captaincy... well, it is a fair point. Vaughan quite clearly isn't good enough to make the team as a batsman alone.. although neither are Strauss and Joyce and they still make it, and then we have Saj. The point is though, England really don't have many options that could win them an ODI.. if they dropped Vaughan, who would they pick? Joyce? Shah? Loye? All tried and failed. So England are basically selecting Vaughan as an allrounder - that is, as a captain who can bat a bit. It's believed his superior captaincy is more of an asset than the next best substandard one day batsman would be.. and if they are indeed going to pick someone like Shah, well they have a point I suppose. There's also the fact that seperate test and ODI captains could disrupt the team slightly.

Now, if anyone is actually suggesting Vaughan shouldn't be captain of the test team, however, they are mad. The day that the fact that a batsman can't make the ODI effects whether he is test captain is the day I die.
    ~ Cribbage

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    We'll both die together tbh. Sepuku might be painful, but we could go out in style.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    Strauss is good tactically, because of the job he does at Middlesex. However a KP/Flintoff style skipper, would show real passion an heart. We have no one who falls into both categories.
    and all the other captains don't show this. KP and Freddie are good players and IMO wouldn't be good captains.
    Where's my money?

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Atherton was actually an extremely under-rated ODI batsman IMO...
    Well... not really.

A strike-rate of 55 or whatever it was is hardly outstanding.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Pietersen, Flintoff and Collingwood are all in with a shout of being made the ODI captain if the selectors do wish to drop Vaughan and Strauss, who quite clearly aren't good enough. All three of the names I mentioned at the start of my post are guarranteed of their position in the ODI side (injury withstanding) so they are all candidates for the captaincy. Personally I would like it being given to KP as I think an aggressive approach to the ODI cricket that England play would be a good idea, however I don't know if he has any credentials or tactical nous from previous captaincy experience.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

I think that with KP at the helm, England would actually have a punt. I don't think he would make the correct decision all the time but when he did make a mistake, it would be playing attacking cricket rather than being to cautious or defensive which has been the biggest captaincy problem England has had.

KP ego would allow him to captain the way he wanted and not the way which pleased the board the most. I think with KP at the helm, decisions such as Panesar for Giles, and dropping Jones last ashes would be made without beurocratic bull****e

I think Collingwood would be an excellent ODI captain. He's the kind of player who can lead by example with bat, ball and in the field and I have no doubt he'd be a strong tactical leader as well.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I think Collingwood would be an excellent ODI captain. He's the kind of player who can lead by example with bat, ball and in the field and I have no doubt he'd be a strong tactical leader as well.
    Yeah Colly's worth a punt for mine as captain...always had a high reagrd for him....excellent team man with a great work ethic.

Strauss and Vaughan don't deserve to be in the ODI side period.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    Yeah Colly's worth a punt for mine as captain...always had a high reagrd for him....excellent team man with a great work ethic.

Strauss and Vaughan don't deserve to be in the ODI side period.
    Does Collingwood have the full respect of the players? whenever I see him, he seems to be rather quiet. Not the best quality for a skipper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information