• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Afro-Asian Cup

shortpitched713

International Captain
Can't really see Shoaib Malik coming ahead of Ashraful or Chamara Silva. (but if you are picking him as a bowling option perhaps.)
Are you serious, Shoiab Malik is streets ahead of Ashraful and his batting easily puts him ahead of Silva. I can see Ashraful being selected in a token Bangladeshi sort of sense, but I think Shahriar Nafees is more meritous of one of the opening slots than Ashraful is of a place in the middle order. Mortaza is solid enough but I think it would be hard to look past Abdul Razzaq for a spot as the Bangladeshi bowler.

Nishant

International 12th Man
what is the point in an afro asian cup? these representitive teams always crap. plus when this was done last tyime didnt it flop? no one turned up.
I agree with that...all in all it is a waste of time TBH! I dont care who wins and there is no chemistry between the players or any team spirit! As an asian, i would support the asian team, but if they win, that would be great, but if they lose, i wont cry abt it!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Ugh. What's the point?
It's a fund raiser for Asian Cricket council and African Cricket council. But these shouldn't be ODI status. It's not the same thing as when your repping your country. I would like it if the icc introduced something like all star/exhibition status and the games would count as that.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh. What's the point?
I agree that these games are pretty pointless, but if the players put in the effort then it can be quite entertaining to watch all these superstars. The chances of the players putting in as much effort as if they were representing their own countries is slim though.

Are you serious, Shoiab Malik is streets ahead of Ashraful and his batting easily puts him ahead of Silva. I can see Ashraful being selected in a token Bangladeshi sort of sense, but I think Shahriar Nafees is more meritous of one of the opening slots than Ashraful is of a place in the middle order. Mortaza is solid enough but I think it would be hard to look past Abdul Razzaq for a spot as the Bangladeshi bowler.
Abdur Razzaq I assume you mean? Anyway, with Nafees having such a poor WC campaign then his chances have diminished greatly of representing this Asian XI although he may get into the squad.

Perm

I think Ashraful is a better batsmen than Nafess
I disagree pretty strongly with that, while Ashraful may be more talented it's obvious that Nafees is the better batsman. He is probably slightly less talented but has been putting runs on the board pretty consistently, up until this WC where he's hit some poor form.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Yeah, but you'll Ashraful making runs against the likes of the top 8 where as for Nafees he's yet to prove that.

Perm

Yeah, but you'll Ashraful making runs against the likes of the top 8 where as for Nafees he's yet to prove that.
138 and 79 against the best in the world. Consecutive Test's he played well against the best team in the world, would you like me to list some of his ODI innings against the top 8?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah, that 1st test was an amazing one, but I Ashraful scored 3 test 100 while Nafees got one. Nafees doesn't have any 100's vs top 8 in odi's i think while ashraful got 1, then a 94 and 80+ score that deserved to be 100.

Perm

yeah, that 1st test was an amazing one, but I Ashraful scored 3 test 100 while Nafees got one. Nafees doesn't have any 100's vs top 8 in odi's i think while ashraful got 1, then a 94 and 80+ score that deserved to be 100.
Nafees also hit 51 against Vaas, Malinga, Fernando and Muralitharan which is a good Test attack.

Ashraful has indeed hit three centuries, 114 on Test debut, 158* against India and 136 against Sri Lanka. While he is a talented batsman he has only 3 Test centuries to his name in 65 innings while Nafees has scored 1 century in 12 innings, against the best team in the world. It's a no contest for me, while Ashraful is more talented I think Shahriar Nafees is quite clearly the better batsman.

Perm

No, Nafees is a better performer but isn't a better batsmen as in skills.
He's been putting runs on the board a lot more consistently than Ashraful hasn't he? That makes him a better batsman IMO. Ashraful has the potential to be better, but isn't.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no ashraful's been performing since he's been back though and Nafees hasn't so doesn't that make ashraful a better batsman? also Nafees is a opener so he gets more opportunity to make more runs while except the last game ashraful's been batting at 5-7.

cricman

International 12th Man
This event is Sad it's going to be 12 South Africans along with Tikolo, and maybe Taylor from Zimbabwe vs an Asian XI.

Asian XI will win easily just, unless the BCCI makes them play in those Flat Track Heavens, the Asian Side will have spinners the African side will have 1 spinner in Prosper Utseya

cricman

International 12th Man
I disagree pretty strongly with that, while Ashraful may be more talented it's obvious that Nafees is the better batsman. He is probably slightly less talented but has been putting runs on the board pretty consistently, up until this WC where he's hit some poor form.
Besides his 75 vs Australia in the Natwest hasn't done much but I think once Bashar retires he'll be a Good Middle order Batsmen.

Perm

no ashraful's been performing since he's been back though and Nafees hasn't so doesn't that make ashraful a better batsman? also Nafees is a opener so he gets more opportunity to make more runs while except the last game ashraful's been batting at 5-7.
Over their entire careers I mean, I realise that Nafees is in very poor form at the moment and since his recall Ashraful has been scoring runs. No denying that Ashraful is in better form at the moment than Nafees, however Nafees is still the better batsman.

Perm

Besides his 75 vs Australia in the Natwest hasn't done much but I think once Bashar retires he'll be a Good Middle order Batsmen.
What about his 101 vs Australia, or his 84 vs South Africa, or his 3 Test centuries? It's folly to say that Ashraful hasn't done anything when quite clearly he has, just not consistently enough.