• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh deserve to play ODIs regularly against the top teams?

Should Bangladesh be playing regularly against the top teams?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Totally disagree on this point. Cricket is a sport, not a science. If people want to to turn it into some sort of mathematical equation, then by all means go ahead. I even enjoy the statistics myself. But statistics should never have that sort of impact and if it did it would be a shame and missing the point really. To say a certain tean shouldn't be given a certain status because it dilutes statistics is quite silly in my books.
Statistics are all a part of something.

Status is all about the integrity of the game - preserving the elitism which is so peculiar and precious to cricket.

And stats are a part of that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They haven't shown anything in this World Cup that they have shown before IMO.
Not as consistently no, but it is obvious to anyone who is open-minded enough to accept that they've made a bad call in the past that they've been very much improving in recent times, and this is just a further extension of that improvement.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
They don't keep on showing it - they've suggested, in the last couple of weeks (and NEVER, ONCE before), that they might do. If they continue after this Cup the way they've been going here maybe in hindsight I'll consider every ODI from this Cup onwards worthy of the status - but as I'd long suspected, there'll be those who claim that because they eventually did become ODI-class, that can't possibly mean they never were. 8-)
They haven't shown anything in this World Cup that they have shown before IMO.
What's the point of that post?
Seems pretty obvious to me. You stated that what they've suggested in this World Cup is the first time they ever have. They're certainly stringing more wins together in a shorter period of time however they are still inconsistent...note the losses to Australia and Sri Lanka in particular.

pup11

International Coach
I think Bangladesh are playing decent number of games atm, but they are playing most of these games at home.

They should tour outside Bangladesh a lot more so that they get a lot more exposure of playing in different conditions, India is the only place Bangladesh is yet to tour because the BCCI thinks nobody in India would be interested to watch India v/s Bangladesh which is a such a pathetic attitude for BCCI to have.

pasag

RTDAS
Statistics are all a part of something.

Status is all about the integrity of the game - preserving the elitism which is so peculiar and precious to cricket.

And stats are a part of that.
Yeah, agree that Test status should be a very valuable thing that isn't given out lightly and something that should be preserved (And to a much, much lesser extent ODIs). But I just don't think statistics should have anything to do with that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems pretty obvious to me. You stated that what they've suggested in this World Cup is the first time they ever have. They're certainly stringing more wins together in a shorter period of time however they are still inconsistent...note the losses to Australia and Sri Lanka in particular.
Which is exactly what I just said in the post you quoted from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not as consistently no, but it is obvious to anyone who is open-minded enough to accept that they've made a bad call in the past that they've been very much improving in recent times, and this is just a further extension of that improvement.
No, it wasn't a bad call to say they weren't improving before now, nor that they weren't worthy of having their games classed as ODIs and Tests in those times.

It would be a bad call to say they've not been better in this Cup than they ever were before, of course.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
understand that even if they werren't worthy enough, they wouldn't have improved this much, without the money they got from it.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
nothing can to known until it happens so you still have to go and make educated guess and hope you're right

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yes to both tests and ODI's.. Eating my words, but the way in which they were promoted (after one dodgy ODI win against Pakistan) and with no decent domestic structure still makes me irate.. Especially when you consider that there were sides like Kenya knocking about..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh I never deny you think about what you're saying, what I do deny is that you show any flexibility when others who have more knowledge on specifics add their comments.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I deny that I show such inflexibility.

What I don't appreciate is people (badgerhair Mike, for the most obvious example) being so patronising and rude when they "have more knowledge on the specifics". I'm hardly likely to take kindly to that.

People (like David Lewis) who are more warm in their posts suggesting they know better, I tend to listen to more readily.

luffy

International Captain
Honestly i'm sick of everyone giving team's that are having a go and get smashed an about **** load of crap. Teams can only get better look at Ireland they've won a couple of matches at this WC which wasn't expected, and Bangledesh got to the Super 8s which is more than most people would of expected.