• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh deserve to play ODIs regularly against the top teams?

Should Bangladesh be playing regularly against the top teams?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be on the main ODI table an associate have to beat two test nations, or beat one test nation and win more than 60% of their games against other associates. That's why they are there. But they had ODI status since 97 anyways its just that the big fishes never gave them a game. Which is why they gave odi status to more teams so at least they'll have some games even if the big fishes doesn't help them. I think that teams should play them though even if its like one game. Every team should play an associate when they tour a certain test team, I mean as in, say india's going to play south africa then as a tour warm up/opener they should play kenya and then move on to play the rest of the tour. This was done to the european associates when teams toured england. And so they should do things like this every tour.
It didn't work though - that's the problem. Kenya have been added to the rankings, but still - no-one takes them seriously and they never play any matches anyway. As I said before, I had no issue with Kenya being on there if they're going to play regularly, as I think they're at about the same quality as Zimbabwe anyway, but if appears that their addition has done virtually nothing in terms of matches played.

I wouldn't mind some one-off games against Kenya by teams touring South Africa or something - it'd make sense geographically - but if they aren't going to be involved in serious ODIs, then they shouldn't be on the rankings. Not that it actually makes any difference though really - it's quite easy to just ignore them when looking at the table. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Of course they should. They're clearly not far behind at all now, and miles clear of the other developing nations.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah, but that's why they gave other associates odi status so at least they can play against each others. and they will play serious odi's time to time but not always because not all are professionals. Canada and Bermuda could go to West Indies to play a little trianguler series with teams coming to tour the Windies. While Kenya can go to South africa to play against teams coming to South Africa. Netherlands, Scotland and Ireland could have a liittle knockout series with a team coming to play in england. Its just things like this that needs to happen and are easy things to do for these associates too. It's just up to the regional boards and their respective boards to manage these things

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, for the sake of further development

However, it'll be a long time before they're anything other than cannon fodder on a regular basis

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Of course I think they should be playing alongside the top teams, their last series against Scotland showed much how of a gap has developed between Bangladesh and the Associate Nations.
If that's not enough, just look at how well Bangladesh did yesterday. I think they deserve to be playing the 'big' teams regularly. Thats the only way they will catch up in the long run.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
but there's no other way for them to improve like this without test status. I don't think any team deserved to play tests when they 1st started or were good enough in comparison to other established countries

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just wondering what the members here think about this topic. Do you believe Bangladesh should play regularly against the top teams or they just spoil all the stats and other things.
Victories over Australia (perhaps that was a one-off), and now wins over India and South Africa (No 1 in the world) when it really counts - in the World Cup?

You bet they should be playing regularly.

They deserve to dine at the big table now.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
One day cricket definately! If you count the warm up win over NZ (I know it wasn't an offical ODI) They've beaten three of the top eight in this WC and they always beat Kenya and the associates now ( not the case in 2003). Test cricket will be tougher but the Tigers have earned their stripes in ODIs now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At the moment, they clearly do - but no way should such games be considered ODIs of the same ilk as those between the top 8 teams, they haven't proven that much yet.

However, if they continue at the rate they've been going recently it obviously won't be long before they become ODI-class. But equally, to simply assume it's already happened would be folly. We've seen Bangladesh supposedly make steps forward many times before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, they defeated India and South Africa within a month. That New Zealand game meant nothing, it was a 14-a-side practice game. I agree, this is indeed an unprecedented step. But it's still not a magic bullet. And it's perfectly possible that it'll be instantly regressed.

Nishant

International 12th Man
bangladesh have to play more cricket with the big boys....its really great for inetrnational cricket that they beat SA ( india as well, but i cant say that it was good 8-) ) But i think that all teams should play more games with the big boys....teams like kenya and bagladesh should most definitely IMO . Bermuda etc, may not play yet, but even ireland have proved that if they play a 5 match series, they may win at least one game!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think anything should be decided for reasons such as "spoiling the stats". Voted yes btw.
TBH, I think stats are so phenomenally important to cricket and I do think they should be preserved. Also, I do think that ODI stats don't really matter, so I don't mind putting whoever as ODI status as a precursor to Test status.

But ICC should always do their best to make sure all Tests are competitive, and that format (and the stats it has) should be protected at all costs.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Voted yes. They definitely should. Got some good youngsters and they'll only improve if they play against quality regularly.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At the moment, they clearly do - but no way should such games be considered ODIs of the same ilk as those between the top 8 teams, they haven't proven that much yet.
How do you propose making a game between Australia and Bangladesh different from a game between Australia and South Africa? As far as I can see, it has to be all or nothing in relation to Bangladesh having ODI status and playing ODI matches. I realise that Bangladesh haven't proven that they are indeed ODI class but I don't see a fair way of seperating the ODI's they play against top teams, other than in people's opinions.

However, if they continue at the rate they've been going recently it obviously won't be long before they become ODI-class. But equally, to simply assume it's already happened would be folly. We've seen Bangladesh supposedly make steps forward many times before.
I'm glad you are recognising that Bangladesh are indeed improving, I don't think anybody here can rightfully claim that they have reached ODI class yet but with the big improvements they had made over the past year or two then it's obvious that they will soon be much more competitive in the majority of their games. This time I think the progress is genuine though, they have beaten Australia, India and South Africa in the space of two years in ODI's. They've also beaten Scotland, Zimbabwe and Kenya which shows they are a notch above those teams now.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
TBH, I think stats are so phenomenally important to cricket and I do think they should be preserved. Also, I do think that ODI stats don't really matter, so I don't mind putting whoever as ODI status as a precursor to Test status.

But ICC should always do their best to make sure all Tests are competitive, and that format (and the stats it has) should be protected at all costs.
Well then the ICC doing something right in the development don't you think SS? even though they ****ed up in everything else

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I don't think anybody here can rightfully claim that they have reached ODI class yet.
What is ODI class to you? I think ODI class should be lower than Test class, the top 8 are test class which is better than odi class.