• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes in Indian cricket

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So I ask again, what action would you take that is not short sighted and not 'cosmetic'?
I think I answered this somewhere else - http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1144375&postcount=93

Drop the non-performers and also drop those who are detrimental to the team which means drop players like tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Bhajji. Drop the coach and let him enjoy his life in Australia, he has shown in the last two years athat he is no good.

Find and Hire someone who really is professional, who has proven track record, someone like Rod Marsh, Bobby Simpson, John Wright etc.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I think I answered this somewhere else - http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1144375&postcount=93

Drop the non-performers and also drop those who are detrimental to the team which means drop players like tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Bhajji. Drop the coach and let him enjoy his life in Australia, he has shown in the last two years athat he is no good.

Find and Hire someone who really is professional, who has proven track record in putting a proper system in place, someone like Rod Marsh, Bobby Simpson, John Wright etc.
Perhaps you'd like to explain how you would drop them even before the team is selected?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
shastri as the coach i am willing to wait out and see what happens, prasad i have grave doubts about, he was more or less a mediocre medium pacer, not sure why dravid recommended him other than the fact that he is from the same state, robin singh was a brilliant fielder and could teach these sloths a thing or two....anyway some of the other changes are long overdue and very welcome at this stage of indian cricket, hopefully all these don't take too long to implement because of the weight of bureaucracy....
Prasad was coach of the U/19s, seemed OK. I think a few of the players, from memory, found him a bit too "disciplinarian" though...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Find and Hire someone who really is professional, who has proven track record, someone like Rod Marsh, Bobby Simpson, John Wright etc.
But that solution is just going to affect the 11 men picked in the side. If what is suggested by the BCCI ends up being implemented, it has the potential to change the whole culture for the better.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Troy Cooley wasn't even a Test cricketer. Good player does not equal a good coach, and vice versa. It's a separate profession, and this is why I have grave doubts about Shastri. I'd rather have a Troy Cooley over any test player as my coach.
Prasad does have decent coaching credentials though.......he worked with India u-17 and u-19 teams and coached Karnataka to the Ranji trophy semi finals this season.
John Wright spoke quite highly of him when he was coach...

The greatest players don't necessarily make the best coaches - Prasad may not have been Malcolm Marshall as a a player but that should not be held against him when assessing his ability as a coach.
Troy Cooley, for instance, did not even play for Australia , yet nations are clamouring for his services.
Even though I will always have reservations about Prasad, he is well reputed as the under-19 coach; still, I would prefer someone like Bruce Reid. Don't be surprised if Prasad turns out to be a good choice though - he seems to have the credentials. Robin Singh should be a great addition to the coaching staff.
Prasad was coach of the U/19s, seemed OK. I think a few of the players, from memory, found him a bit too "disciplinarian" though...
ok...ok i get the point...didn't know that about prasad...will wait and see what he does before judging him....:)