Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shastri, the new coach of India!

Shastri, the new coach of India!

Just read a link on cricinfo, suggesing that Shastri will be the coach of india for the bangladesh tour and Robin singh will be the fielding coach.

Quite suprised TBH......thought of Whatmore, Moody and Viv Richards...but Shastri never crossed my mind! Any views on this guys?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Doesn't matter. Unless I see 'Indian line up fired', and 'Domestic structure reduced to five teams', I don't really see any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Shastri as a coach?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

he is another big mouth jerk as a commentator ( like ramiz raja) lets see how good he is as a coach.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Seems like he'll be an interim coach...the article says he'll be coach for the Bangladesh tour - nothing about what'll happen afterwards.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Good to see the BCCI taking some action, at least the players will know that they have a coach, if this report is true, for the upcoming tour to Bangladesh.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Well he has a bigger ego than any of the past Indian coaches.......he may get along with the Mumbai boys but dont know how he wil fare with chaps like Harbhajan, Sehwag etc who have have suspect attitudes.
    Shastri is not someone to mince words and will shout and swear as that is what he was like as a vice captain/player. If you think that he was a big mouth on television(where he has to keep a check on what he has to say) think of what he will be like without the cameras.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    It may be exactly what some of these slackers need, in particulary Harbhajan and Sehwag who seem to have the poorest attitudes out of all the players. By the sounds of it, Ravi Shastri won't be afraid to say what he thinks.

Good choice on an interim basis. Shastri seems like a no-nonsense guy who knows how to operate in India.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Only an interim coach as to the article. Anyway worth giving him a shot too.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Good choice on an interim basis. Shastri seems like a no-nonsense guy who knows how to operate in India.
    well, we'll see...he has his favourites and i don't know about the no-nonsense guy thing...chappell was a no-nonsense guy as well and we saw how that went down with these superstars....

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    well, we'll see...he has his favourites and i don't know about the no-nonsense guy thing...chappell was a no-nonsense guy as well and we saw how that went down with these superstars....
    That's exactly why I included the second part. Chappell had his ideas but he didn't know how to handle Indian cricketers - Shastri does. Anyways, you're right - we'll see how it goes.

from what i read there was some signs of indian cricket moving forward...they are going to get a batting, bowling, fielding coach so that's 1st.

That's exactly why I included the second part. Chappell had his ideas but he didn't know how to handle Indian cricketers - Shastri does. Anyways, you're right - we'll see how it goes.
    i noticed that but just because he is indian doesn't mean that he would be able to handle the players better(wright did that better than most indian coaches i would say), also does he really have any coaching credentials to speak of? i know chappell doesn't either but the point is i am waiting to see at least some medium-term results(a bangladesh tour wouldn't really tell me anything either way) before concluding anything about shastri the coach....

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I don't understand - what coaching qualifications does Shastri have? Has he written any books on coaching? Has he coached any first class sides? How do you appoint someone as the head coach of a national team without him being a proven coach? What evidence do you have that he is even a remotely passable coach? It makes zero sense to me. Interim or not, surely the Indian board can find someone who is, you know, an actual coach, regardless of the short notice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information