• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri, the new coach of India!

Nishant

International 12th Man
Just read a link on cricinfo, suggesing that Shastri will be the coach of india for the bangladesh tour and Robin singh will be the fielding coach.

Quite suprised TBH......thought of Whatmore, Moody and Viv Richards...but Shastri never crossed my mind! Any views on this guys?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Doesn't matter. Unless I see 'Indian line up fired', and 'Domestic structure reduced to five teams', I don't really see any difference.

haroon510

International 12th Man
he is another big mouth jerk as a commentator ( like ramiz raja) lets see how good he is as a coach.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Seems like he'll be an interim coach...the article says he'll be coach for the Bangladesh tour - nothing about what'll happen afterwards.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see the BCCI taking some action, at least the players will know that they have a coach, if this report is true, for the upcoming tour to Bangladesh.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Well he has a bigger ego than any of the past Indian coaches.......he may get along with the Mumbai boys but dont know how he wil fare with chaps like Harbhajan, Sehwag etc who have have suspect attitudes.
Shastri is not someone to mince words and will shout and swear as that is what he was like as a vice captain/player. If you think that he was a big mouth on television(where he has to keep a check on what he has to say) think of what he will be like without the cameras.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It may be exactly what some of these slackers need, in particulary Harbhajan and Sehwag who seem to have the poorest attitudes out of all the players. By the sounds of it, Ravi Shastri won't be afraid to say what he thinks.

adharcric

International Coach
Good choice on an interim basis. Shastri seems like a no-nonsense guy who knows how to operate in India.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Good choice on an interim basis. Shastri seems like a no-nonsense guy who knows how to operate in India.
well, we'll see...he has his favourites and i don't know about the no-nonsense guy thing...chappell was a no-nonsense guy as well and we saw how that went down with these superstars....

adharcric

International Coach
well, we'll see...he has his favourites and i don't know about the no-nonsense guy thing...chappell was a no-nonsense guy as well and we saw how that went down with these superstars....
That's exactly why I included the second part. Chappell had his ideas but he didn't know how to handle Indian cricketers - Shastri does. Anyways, you're right - we'll see how it goes.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
from what i read there was some signs of indian cricket moving forward...they are going to get a batting, bowling, fielding coach so that's 1st.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
That's exactly why I included the second part. Chappell had his ideas but he didn't know how to handle Indian cricketers - Shastri does. Anyways, you're right - we'll see how it goes.
i noticed that but just because he is indian doesn't mean that he would be able to handle the players better(wright did that better than most indian coaches i would say), also does he really have any coaching credentials to speak of? i know chappell doesn't either but the point is i am waiting to see at least some medium-term results(a bangladesh tour wouldn't really tell me anything either way) before concluding anything about shastri the coach....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't understand - what coaching qualifications does Shastri have? Has he written any books on coaching? Has he coached any first class sides? How do you appoint someone as the head coach of a national team without him being a proven coach? What evidence do you have that he is even a remotely passable coach? It makes zero sense to me. Interim or not, surely the Indian board can find someone who is, you know, an actual coach, regardless of the short notice.

jeevan

International 12th Man
The next coach, interim or permanent, hopefully does not have to deal with Harbhajan's attitude. Since he is by far the easiest one to drop from this bunch. When was the last time he took a wicket in ODI's? Sehwag should not be too far behind and Ganguly,Tendulkar and Agarkar are also not too far behind.

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
I personnaly think this is a dumb move by the BCCI. Shastri has not even coached a first class team and now you're entrusting him with the reins of the national team.

India (among other things) need a proven coach at the helm. Somewone like Dav Whatmore would be ideal.

Even if they wanted an Indian there are better candidates than Shastri (e.g Robin Singh who mcoached India A fairl well in Australia last year and Venkatesh Prasad whoi coached India u-19 very succesfully and coached Karnataka to the Ranji semis this year).

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I don't understand - what coaching qualifications does Shastri have? Has he written any books on coaching? Has he coached any first class sides? How do you appoint someone as the head coach of a national team without him being a proven coach? What evidence do you have that he is even a remotely passable coach? It makes zero sense to me. Interim or not, surely the Indian board can find someone who is, you know, an actual coach, regardless of the short notice.
he won't be the coach(i think) he'll be the cricket manager.

howardj

International Coach
Shastri would be a good choice - a strong character who could give them direction. However, for mine, India's biggest problem in the last few years or so is that their view of themselves (which is reflected in their resolve, fight and willingness to put in the hard yards) has no correlation with their threadbare achievements as a team in the last five years or so. By contrast, a millionaire like Ponting, trains and plays like he is a pauper!