• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri, the new coach of India!

Nishant

International 12th Man
I looked at Robin singh's stats...and TBH, they are quite poor! Was he a good fieldsman because i really cant remember?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I looked at Robin singh's stats...and TBH, they are quite poor! Was he a good fieldsman because i really cant remember?
Irrelevent. I don't care how good/bad he was as a player - it is a completely separate issue from whether he is good or bad as a coach.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
he was india's best fielder for some time...he was quite brilliant throughout his career...

adharcric

International Coach
he was india's best fielder for some time...he was quite brilliant throughout his career...
The most impressive thing about Robin Singh is that he was arguably the fittest man in the team (Jadeja too) despite being one of the senior players (mid-30s IIRC).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's nothing that wrong with this appointment, because it's not that easy to find someone willing to jump in as a stop-gap measure. How good he is as a coach isn't all that relevant, it is just as long as he keeps things in order for the next coach and doesn't let things get out of hand WRT the reported problems in the dressing room.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There's nothing that wrong with this appointment, because it's not that easy to find someone willing to jump in as a stop-gap measure. How good he is as a coach isn't all that relevant, it is just as long as he keeps things in order for the next coach and doesn't let things get out of hand WRT the reported problems in the dressing room.
Shastri is a guy who is close to some in the board as well as to some of the senior players. If this doesn't show that there INDEED were a few problems in the side w.r.t unity, then I don't know what does.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
you are talking about running a cricket team as a military unit, do you think any of the successful teams are doing that? how would that be a good idea?
I have never mentioned running the team like a military unit. What I said was that past selectors and coaches have tiptoed around senior Indian players. I hope Shastri does not.

Players out of form like Tendulkar, Sehwag and Yuvraj should be playing a lot of county cricket to get back into form but it does not look like they are interested in that.

Yuvraj, Dhoni seem to always throw their wickets away going instead of playing the role required, Tendulkar grafts around so much that he ends up wasting a lot of overs as he does not take as many singles. India needs their players to work as hard as Collingwood or Bevan at accumulating runs. But instead they only want to score the big hits. When those get blocked, they hole out playing stupid shots. Dravid used to be the run accumulator but the team can't afford to have more than 1 person like that in a ODI squad.

i am not talking about reforming them, the team management can only work on their fitness, technique and the like, they can do very little about the mental side of things, that would be mostly up to the players
Well what about their fitness levels?? This is one of the most unfit squad amongst the top 8 playing nations.

but if they don't develop the winning habit(or simply put, if they keep losing), then out they should go....that should apply to current members as well as new members...as for looking for people with those qualities, no one deliberately looks for a loser...
Agreed but Indian selectors play the favoritism game , an Agarkar gets a call back to the squad when all he is good for is the nets. Every team has at least 1 passenger(sometimes even more) who was only selected to keep the zone happy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I missed the move from Shastri to Kumble. Did Ravi just not want the responsibility any more and want to get back behind the microphone?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Helped that Kumble's a great guy and good mates with the three people vested with making the decision. Also helped that Shastri "attended" the interview from a beach in Thailand via Skype.