• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batters in English cricket

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
I was just wondering who everyone rated highly amongst the domestic scene. Excluding the centrally contracted players.

But i think Mal Loye & Van Jaarsveld are quality batters.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Yes but he is also eligable for England or something like that based on the Kolpak ruling. The one that brought Rudolph to Yorkshire.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
I thought he was a decent keeper too, but with Geraint Jones at Kent is there any reason for Van Jaarsveld to keep?

DCC_legend

International Regular
Have'nt seen much of this guy play, but from his Stats he looks fairly decent. The only thing thaqt would put me off is that he was selected for the ECB National Academy squad the following winter, but has failed to kick on as people expected and was dropped by Yorkshire during the 2005 season.

I copied the last bit from cricinfo, but it paints the picture anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What about Michael Lumb from Yorkshire, he could do a job in the ODI's
Even if he did as well for England in ODIs as he has for Yorkshire in List A games, he'd still be only be marginally better than Michael Vaughan. Says a lot, really...

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Have'nt seen much of this guy play, but from his Stats he looks fairly decent. The only thing thaqt would put me off is that he was selected for the ECB National Academy squad the following winter, but has failed to kick on as people expected and was dropped by Yorkshire during the 2005 season.

I copied the last bit from cricinfo, but it paints the picture anyway.
I thought he was better than that....oh well:oops:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not that I know of...

He bats in the middle order and bowls no-spin off-spin.
Barry Richards said of someone's would-be offies that he was bowling "straight-breaks", which I thought was a pretty cool description of a lot of part-time "spinners". Can't recall who he was referring to, but was during this WC.

Anyway, based on stats, the best English-qualified batsman in the CC scene just now is old twinkle-toes himself, Mark Ramprakash. Unfortunately he's about 37-ish & averages a touch over 27 from 50+ tests.