• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batters in English cricket

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was looking through the stats for some of the English batsman not that long ago and was suprised how many of them had poor averages, I was expecting quite a few of them to be up around 45-50 but turns out I was gravely mistaken. I thought about it a little bit more and realised it was the old veterans (Ramprakash, Hick) and all the overseas players that scored the majority of the runs anyway.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Was looking through the stats for some of the English batsman not that long ago and was suprised how many of them had poor averages, I was expecting quite a few of them to be up around 45-50 but turns out I was gravely mistaken. I thought about it a little bit more and realised it was the old veterans (Ramprakash, Hick) and all the overseas players that scored the majority of the runs anyway.
It usually is the old war-horses such as Hick and Ramps that score the most runs. Dosent look well for the future, no young players really stood out.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes consistency wise, you have to look at Ramprakash, Hick, Law and Andy Flower for me, all from the old brigade!

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
In fact Vaughn has not really achieved much in county cricket in recent years, given that he was injured most of time. So I suppose that is unfair critism

open365

International Vice-Captain
Nah i think that's a bit harsh, anyone averaging 45+ is a quality player and i think with all the 50+ plaus players in test cricket we forget that averaging 40+ still makes you a decent bat.

And Michael Lumb is rubbish.

And Loye isn't a one trick pony you moron.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
The stats would suggest Mark Ramprakash, absoloutely on fire in 2006, I think he averaged 60+ and scored that magnificent 300. One for the future, who i can really see talent in, is of course, Samit Patel ;)

jammay123

State 12th Man
owais shah is a good batsmen and is unlucky not to get anothjer test chance. he played well in india

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Loye. You've got a pretty sorry domestic comp if your best batsman is a one-trick pony.
Haha, Loye a one-trick pony. Says a bit about your ill-conceived powers of observation, and so does the fact that you'd suggest he's one of the top domestic players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In fact Vaughn has not really achieved much in county cricket in recent years, given that he was injured most of time. So I suppose that is unfair critism
Not true, actually, since 2000 Vaughan's record for Yorkshire in First-Class cricket is top-shelf - averaging well over 50.