• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Cricket ( MY Plan)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by The Argonaut
My theory on this has been posted before and goes like this. Keep the 18 county sides but have this competition as the 2nd tier. Have 3 teams feed their best players into 6 regional teams. This will improve both competitions as players will strive to get promoted into the top level and the top level players will want to stay there.
Agreed... though then bring in the minor counties to these regions, and what teams would make up each region?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, that might mean that although I live in a Minor County (Shropshire), I might actually be noticed...but fat chance of that, you only get noticed in my county if you go to a good school or your mates with one of the captains of the teams...to think if I was in a city I would have been encouraged to play, over here its my job to try and find someone to play for :(!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Originally posted by The Argonaut
My theory on this has been posted before and goes like this. Keep the 18 county sides but have this competition as the 2nd tier. Have 3 teams feed their best players into 6 regional teams. This will improve both competitions as players will strive to get promoted into the top level and the top level players will want to stay there.
Agreed... though then bring in the minor counties to these regions, and what teams would make up each region?
I think the original split up was something like this:

North: Durham, Lancashire, Yorkshire
Central-North: Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire
Central-South: Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
London: Essex, MIddlesex, Surrey
South: Kent, Hampshire, Sussex
West: Glamorgan, Gloucestershire, Somerset

These were drawn up on geographical lines and don't take into account any inter-county hatreds that may exist.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
"These were drawn up on geographical lines and don't take into account any inter-county hatreds that may exist."

Hahaha, yeah, you just try and make Lancashire and Yorkshire join together :lol::lol::lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They join together to play for England, and I'm sure they'd have no problems teaming up to crush those southerners.

You couldn't split teams like that, or you'd lose the classic derby games.

chris.hinton

International Captain
8) Bring back England A for Home Matches and Play against Touring Sides

I think that England A should be brought back for Home Matches, they could play the other touring side whilst England are playing the First touring side. Players from Regional system should be allowed, It time to put England First

9) C+G Trophy has to be the "FA Cup of Cricket"

Has David Lloyd quite rightly said " The C+G Trophy is a Fix" as Minor Counties are always drawn with First Class, Lets have this as a Random draw and add the University sides into it and bring back the County Boards, then they is 66 teams involved in a Big Knock out competition

* Regional Players should be Allowed

10) 2nd Xi cricket and County Boards to merge

It is a Better idea that this will happen as it Thins the amount of players and raises the "Second Tier" standard. They could only play 8x3 day matches and a one day competition with
Minor Counties.

11) Minor Counties Cricket

They only play six matches i think that 9 matches would be the answer as it is only 27 days cricket, Many of the matches could start on a Sunday.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The problem with those last 2 Chris is that Minor Counties players have to have holiday from work to play, so a lot wouldn't be able to sustain any more cricket - and also, they have club commitments on Sundays!