• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever ODI XI

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
1. Gilchrist
2. Jayasuria
3. Tendulkar
4. Lara
5. Botham
6. Lance Klusner
7. (The pakistan captain one) Khan
8. Akram
9. Murali
10.Pollock
11. McGrath

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
1. Gilchrist
2. Jayasuria
3. Tendulkar
4. Lara
5. Botham
6. Lance Klusner
8. Akram
9. Murali
10.Pollock
11. McGrath
Not having Michael Bevan, Joel Garner and Vivian Freaking Richards in an all time ODI team is an absolute crime against humanity. You left out the two out of three greatest batsmen of all time and the greatest fast bowler of all time (in ODI format).

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not having Michael Bevan, Joel Garner and Vivian Freaking Richards in an all time ODI team is an absolute crime against humanity. You left out the two out of three greatest batsmen of all time and the greatest fast bowler of all time (in ODI format).
Yes Richards should probably be in there probably at the expense of Beefy. Don't think you could find a place for Garner but I would probably not have Imran Khan in there and include Bevan

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes Richards should probably be in there probably at the expense of Beefy. Don't think you could find a place for Garner but I would probably not have Imran Khan in there and include Bevan
Garner is only the best ODI fast bowler of all time.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was definitely a great ODI bowler. Whether he is the best of all time is debatable but fair enough if you think he is. He's definitely up there.
I don't really think there's much debate over Garner's position as a one day bowler. He conceded more than 50 runs only 3 times, and ended with an average of under 19. You don't leave him out.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't really think there's much debate over Garner's position as a one day bowler. He conceded more than 50 runs only 3 times, and ended with an average of under 19. You don't leave him out.
Shane Bond? :ph34r:

Average of 19 and 100+ wickets...in this era :ph34r:

Gladiator667

Cricket Spectator
1. Gilchrist
2. Jayasuria
3. Tendulkar
4. Lara
5. Botham
6. Lance Klusner
8. Akram
9. Murali
10.Pollock
11. McGrath
Botham??? Sure they had there moments in ODI's but Botham never really excelled in this form of the game (especially to warrant a spot as number 5 batsman). Great test match player but never clicked in ODI.

Klusener???? was a devastating batsman for a period of 3 years, but always when he played tough matches and opposition he failed, Watched himin at least a dozen world series matches and he didnt score a single fifty from memory. He could not score runs away from Africa.

Klusener was always shown up against consistant Bowling, quality attacks never got torn apart by klusener more than a one-off. He was a good No7 or 8 if he was required, but didnt offer anything special with the ball... There are just as devastating hitters out there that you could put at 6 that were more consistant.

I better put my money where my mouth is and come up with a team.

1. Sachin Tendulkar (this is Tendulkars spot for ODI's - Get him in and let him go)
2. Sanath Jayasuriya
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Viv Richards
5. Micheal Bevan (In case things went wrong at the top of the order)
6. Adam Gilchrist (My Klusenerstyle - Late order hitter, Gilly would have been devatating at 6 finishing off an innings and a lot more consistant than Klusener ever was))
7. Wasim Akram
8. Shane Warne
9. Waqar Younis (Who will ever bowl a better Yorker?)
10. Denis Lillee
11. Curtly Ambrose

I selected a bowling attack that is going to bowl the opposition out. I cant rememer more devastating ODI bowlers than Ambrose, Waqar and Wasim (taking Lille on footage I've seen and hear- say) - They are bowling to get you out they are looking to skittle the opposition, with restricting the runs an added benefit. Hence why I didnt include Mcgrath and Pollock, they are more bowlers that strangle the batsman into giving there wicket away. The attack I selected is definatly going to have teams at least 4 or 5 down at the 30 Over mark.

I didnt see any of Garner... But for me Ambrose was the most brutal West Indian Bowler I witnessed especially wathcing him at the SCG many a time make the Aussies look like little kids.

And of course Shane Warne, just ahead of Murali - Why you ask? Flip the coin... but seriously this may be the one-eyed Aussie in me (and the fact I've watched a lot more of Warne), but Warne for me offered more on Pitches that Didnt offer a spinner much.

For me Murali will take you wickets every time he bowls. But if you needed a wicket our a devastating spell to turn the match Warne for me is more likely to produce that something special to get rid of a batsman already on 100.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
1. Tendulkar
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Richards
5. Bevan
6. Hussey
7. Kapil Dev
8. Warne
9. Pollock
10. Wasim Akram
11. Garner

Matt79

Global Moderator
-ish. Yeah, he probably should be below them - he'd be one of the best no. 10's ever...

oz_fan

International Regular
1. Tendulkar
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. Viv Richards
6. Bevan
7. Klusener
8. Pollock
9. Akram
10. Garner