• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The fastest bowler you have ever faced?

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
I was just wondering about the kind of pace everybody gets to face when they play? The fastest players i have faced are I.O'Brian (New Zealand international) and Andy Maher (our Aussie pro from last season).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Faced Cameron Schoer in the nets when I was at his club - young left arm bowler who they clocked at 140km/hr. I highly doubt he was actually bowling that fast though ITBT - it's probably a combination of a poorly taken reading and an exaggeration on Cameron's part.

Nevertheless, he's still the fastest bowler I've faced, whatever pace he was actually bowling at.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The match in which the fastest bowler I've ever faced played was also, coincidentally, the worst pitch I've ever played on. It was an artificial surface but instead of concrete under the matting there was an uneven wooden surface. :laugh:

One of my team-mates got a broken nose. :mellow:

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Isnt that roughly mid-80's? in mph? thats fairly sharp considering Vaas takes wickets bowling mid-70mph. Then again if your line and length is good enough you should be taking wickets no matter what pace you bowl at.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
The match in which the fastest bowler I've ever faced played was also, coincidentally, the worst pitch I've ever played on. It was an artificial surface but instead of concrete under the matting there was an uneven wooden surface. :laugh:

One of my team-mates got a broken nose. :mellow:
That sounds like something I have seen. But i saw a throat ball on a concrete based artificial wicket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My sister's boyfriend. Don't know what speed he bowls, but I don't bother trying to score off him (I am crap though)

DCC_legend

International Regular
one of m fellow 3rd XI players. Bowled in the high 60's low 70's. He was probably one of the best bowlers at the club, but he a sort of Chucking action. His bowling got really bad throughout the season after it got reported to the NCU. He became a wicket keeper. Has now left the club and become a full time wipeout.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sanjeev Sharma who later played for India. Gursharan Singh's younger brother Jaspal who was just 17 when I played him but very sharp.

Then there was Suresh Luthra who was a terror in North India in the late sixties through the seventies. He could bowl blinding pace from a five step spinners run up. He swung the ball in to right handers and at that pace with deadly accuracy he was virtually unplayable. A look at his stats shows how successful he was in the first class game. But there was a small problem because of which he never played for India or outside the North Zone.

He chucked....blatantly.

Having played him and more importantly, having seen India's leading batsmen, including GR Vishwanath, one of the best against fast bowling, flounder against him, I have never had any doubts about where chuckers belong in this game....they dont.

When I was in clollege there used to be a bowler in St. Stephens Delhi called Amarjeet Singh Maini. He bowled ferociously fast but was all over the place. He never did play for Delhi.

I played Manoj Prabhakar in his early days. He was quick but not quick enough to be difficult to handle. He got you with his sharp in swing. The first time I played him he got me LBW first ball in the first innings with a sharp inswinger which I had gone prepared for !!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hope you don't mind me asking but... :unsure:

How old were you on the day these posts were made SJS?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, right - bit younger than I'd thought, then. :) So you'd have been, what, late 30s, early 40s when you faced these guys?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, right - bit younger than I'd thought, then. :) So you'd have been, what, late 30s, early 40s when you faced these guys?
When I first played Luthra, I was a teen ager and ****scared ! When I played Maini I was in college approaching twenty.

But Sharma, Prabhakar and Jaspal are much younger and I played all of them in the 83-85 period. That makes me 33 to 35.

Yes I was older and maybe slower but not a bad opening batsman for my club.

I played senior A Division League in Delhi from 1965 (15 yrs old) to 1985.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I wasn't commenting on your lack of abilities! :laugh: It's just that obviously it's gonna be different facing a really quick bowler at 40 than at 28.

Yeah, looks like I miscounted on the Prabhakar, Jaspal, etc. count though. :wacko:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It's just that obviously it's gonna be different facing a really quick bowler at 40 than at 28.

Yeah, looks like I miscounted on the Prabhakar, Jaspal, etc. count though. :wacko:
Oh I did not play any cricket after 1985. One of the biggest regrets of my life. It was the time my career took off vertically but I lost the greatest passion of my life through lack of time.

My company boys would orhanise a game once a year or so. Something like Plant versus Marketing and I would feel great looking good amongst very ordinary players. The day before my last working day they organised a game but it rained and we ended up playing a match on the beach with a hard rubber ball, wet sand underfoot and waiters carrying chicken tikkas and beer right through the match and onto the wicket.

I must get hold of some of those pictures. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here are some pictures from Jampore Beach Daman (a formal portugese colony in India) 14th August 2006

The Setting : The beach is lovely though the sand is very dark. It had rained all night so the moment you found a spot to start batting from and stood there bat in hand, pools of water started forming around your feet as the water came up with the weight of the body.

But it was lovely.

Attachments