• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The fastest bowler you have ever faced?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
a few years ago i played my first club match in queensland i had just been upgraded from under 17's and a recently retired Paul Mcdermott was steaming in. i dont know how quick he was but i know out of the 9 balls i faced off him about 7 of them hit my body and pads. lol the bruises on my body the next week looked like i had gone ten rounds in a boxing ring. but i stil loved every minute of it.....!
Good News Week fan?

Craig McDermott. :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2 seperate bowlers come to mind when i think fastest bowler.

1st time, was about 10 years ago, and we were playing some winter cricket on synthetic pitches. Guy named Phil Sugars i think, a big left armer who bowled at pace, on synthetic :(. Lucky me got to open. My partner and i managed to put on 60 in 10 overs, we have never run so many singles (trying to get off strike) in our lives haha.

2nd time was just over a year ago, Playing Surfers Paradise - Jeff Anning. He has played last couple of seasons for QLD Country. We bowled them out late in the day, and had a couple of overs left to bat out. This guy had been warming up for 30mins before the end of there innings, so there was no warm up balls. For some reason he wanted to take my head off, possibly cause i was not wearing a helmet. I tell you its amazing how well you pick up the ball when you are concentrating. He had been gunned @ 140+. The next week he bowled 1 short and outside off stump, i cut it, and it nearly went for 6 :). Then he bowled me 2 bouncers, 1st one i pulled for a single, next one was 5 yards quicker and i hit straight up in the air to mid off, obviously beat me for pace :(.

Sorry for the paragraph of never ending dribble, its 5:27am, Hayden just got out and im not happy :(.

on a side note, Jason Stein an Australian Country bowler had 1 of those balls with speedometer in them. He is genuinely quick, the guy above that i mentioned, well he is easily slower than J Stein. 1 ball, Jason Stein bowled, picked it up and it registered 151kmh.

Night everyone

*edit* spelling, grammar, the works... oh well... im tired
I know Jason Stein too, he plays in the Gold Coast comp...I've never seen him bowl though. I heard he was quick. The only problem with the balls with a speedometer in them is they're inaccurate as you have to land them on the mark you set it for. I bowled with one and it said 160...and I am definitely not 160kph. Nor am I 140...I doubt 130 comes into it either.

Son Of Coco

And after another 8 months I actually take care of the finer details! :happy:

It was 2002, played them at home first game of the season and scraped through with a 2 wicket win (thanks to the resident Aussie who shall remain nameless compiling 30* at no.8). Then lost to them at their home ground by 4 runs (thanks to diabolical umpiring and the keeper letting through 30-40 byes...as well as dropping a hat-trick ball off an Aussie who shall remain nameless that hit him in the chest. I was given out LBW to a ball that the keeper was moving down leg to collect and that I was attempting to leg-glance. I know, I know...I should have hit it.)

It was after the second game we sat down, had a good hard look at ourselves, and didn't lose a game for the rest of the season.

Son Of Coco

a few years ago i played my first club match in queensland i had just been upgraded from under 17's and a recently retired Paul Mcdermott was steaming in. i dont know how quick he was but i know out of the 9 balls i faced off him about 7 of them hit my body and pads. lol the bruises on my body the next week looked like i had gone ten rounds in a boxing ring. but i stil loved every minute of it.....!
Who were you playing for? I think he played in the Gold Coast comp for a while too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes its true, all of it. It was very sad.

Strap pads onto the guy and give him a bat, any old bat would do, and the guy would produce incandescent cricket. Take him off the field and he would talk like a madman. He slowly went from bad to worse.

He was selected for the Delhi Ranji squad and at the nets at Feroze Shah Kotla, Ram Babu Gupta, who was the manager of the Delhi team (and of the Delhi University team where Prithvi was a star) and an umpire of those days asked him to fetch him a box of new balls from the pavillion. Prithvi turned around and told Ram Babu, ' If you think that you will include me in your Ranji team and in turn I will run your errands like a servant, you have another think coming". That was the last time anyone considered him for the Delhi side.

I asked him later why he did this since everyone in Delhi cricket was talking about it. He was adament that Ram Babu wanted to humiliate him since he had slaughtered the team Ram Babu was associated with and had refused an offer to play for them. So Gupta was trying to show Prithvi who was the boss.

He used to just imagine such insults aimed at him by one and all.

He was also an extremely well read guy and could quote extensively from English literature. He wrote beautifully and had hand writing as if it was printed. It was like calligraphy. He could also bowl medium paced outswingers and in-cutters.

Tall and athletic he was a natural.

My one regret in life is meeting Prithvi when I was still young and did not understand what was happening very well. Psychiatrists were not a common thing in the Delhi of the 1970's. Lunatic asylums were. I am sure treated early, Prithvi had a great chance in life but no one tried to give him that chance and he slowly slipped into the abyss.
Jeez, that really is a sad story. There have been a fair few 1st class and international players who have suffered from mental illness over the years - I think there's a book about some Aussie guys who ended up suiciding - can't think of the title though.

Top_Cat

Jeez, that really is a sad story. There have been a fair few 1st class and international players who have suffered from mental illness over the years - I think there's a book about some Aussie guys who ended up suiciding - can't think of the title though.
Is 'Mystery Spinner', the one about Jack Iverson, the one you're thinking about? Well-written book, I thought.

Burgey

The one I'm thinking of had a few players in it, not just Iverson. I think it might be "By their own hand" or somethign like that - just can't recall atm.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Exeter St James now no longer exists. Went to the wall due to lack of players in May this year, and have now reformed as Topsham St James, playing in the G Division, freed from the obligation to field a second XI...

cbuts

International Debutant
Faced Mark Gillespie last season, i had no idea lol. Managed to get a 4 - though it was a geniune nick through the vacant 4th slip region lol - didnt get me out though, so i was chuffed at that!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And after another 8 months I actually take care of the finer details! :happy:

It was 2002, played them at home first game of the season and scraped through with a 2 wicket win (thanks to the resident Aussie who shall remain nameless compiling 30* at no.8). Then lost to them at their home ground by 4 runs (thanks to diabolical umpiring and the keeper letting through 30-40 byes...as well as dropping a hat-trick ball off an Aussie who shall remain nameless that hit him in the chest. I was given out LBW to a ball that the keeper was moving down leg to collect and that I was attempting to leg-glance. I know, I know...I should have hit it.)

It was after the second game we sat down, had a good hard look at ourselves, and didn't lose a game for the rest of the season.
Interesting, if it was as far back as 2002 there's a very outside chance I might have been involved in some capacity or other, be it spectator, colt net session attender or emergency substitute fielder.

If so, who'd have guessed that a couple of years down the line I'd be arguing with said nameless Aussie from Sweden about first-chance averages and McGrath. :happy:

western_warrior

Cricket Spectator
:laugh: :laugh: yeah it must have been an add on tv when i was writing it .... i meant Craig.
i cant beleive i wrote paul... i dont think paul mcdermott would have much pace about him TBH