• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good an ODI batsman was Inzamam?

Beleg

International Regular
Pretty simple really, where do you rank him among a list of all time ODI great batsmen.

And what do you reckon were his peak years?

Same questions for Saeed Anwar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
:wub: He did score almost 12k runs, and an average just below 40, so he was an excellent ODI player. His running between the wickets hurt him in the shorter form of the game, but he was still an excellent calming influence in the middle order. I'd put him around 5-10 in terms of all time ODI players.

Saeed Anwar is a bit of a different story, because though his record was good, I still would take a couple others over him. In Tests, he was a good opener (especially compared to other openers that Pakistan and India have had since), but in ODIs I prefer Ganguly and Jayasurya above Anwar.

In Tests, he was clearly the best out of the three. Overall, Inzamam was better in both Tests and ODIs IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Inzamam-ul-Haq was one of the best middle-order ODI batsmen of the modern era.

Able to play in just about any way demanded by any situation, he scored runs at a far better rate and quantity than most ever managed.

Had Tendulkar batted in the middle-order more often I think he'd probably have outdone him, but as it is I can't think of too many better middle-order batsmen since 1990. Neil Fairbrother and 1 or 2 others come close, of course.

This is, obviously, discounting Michael Bevan who was head-and-shoulders above everyone else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saeed Anwar is a bit of a different story, because though his record was good, I still would take a couple others over him.
You ARE joking, aren't you?

Ganguly maybe, but Jayasuriya? SRs pretty similar, Anwar's average was a good 5 points higher than Jayasuriya's.

Oh, hang on, I forget... ss and ODIs don't mix. :D

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You ARE joking, aren't you?

Ganguly maybe, but Jayasuriya? SRs pretty similar, Anwar's average was a good 5 points higher than Jayasuriya's.

Oh, hang on, I forget... ss and ODIs don't mix. :D
Yea, you wouldn't be wrong if you just ignore everything I say about ODIs. :laugh: I have no defense for Jayasurya > Anwar in ODI, just who I think is better. Also, five points of average doesn't exactly mean all that much, depending on other factors. Look at Lara vs Dravid.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dravid and Lara is an interesting one IMO - and there's not a hell of a lot to decide them. Lara often wins out on that absurd "the more dominant player must be the better" thing I've mentioned a few times.

Anyhoo - no, 5 points on average doesn't automatically mean everything, but if you break it down you'll see there are broad truths that apply to both. Anwar was probably a better defensive player, mind.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Right now he comes at about the top of the heap for Pakistani one day batsmen. Anwar and Miandad come right after Inzi, but I feel by the end of his career Yousuf will surpass them all.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
:wub:
but in ODIs I prefer Ganguly and Jayasurya above Anwar.IMO.
Jayasuria is an excellent one day player, maybe he is past his now. But he can open the batting, take advantage of the power plays and go on to make hundreds. Just look at this world cup. He is second in the list of most ODI 100's. Plus he has taken nearly 400 ODI wickets. He is the ULTIMATE ODI player.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If there was one batsman who was totally unconcerned about the reputaion of the bowler he was facing it was Inzy. In fact the better the bowler the better he batted.

If there was one batsman who was totally unfazed (and looked it) by the dire condition of his team in the match, it was Inzy. He seemed to thrive in crisis situation.

If there was one batsman who could judge the game situation and go about as if he knew exactly what was required (including the most effortless changing of gears ever) it was Inzy.

If there was one batsman who never ever looked anything less than effortlessly imperial at the wicket it was Inzy.

No, I have no doubt whatsoever that he was one of the finest (and relatively most under-rated) one day batsman ever. The only blot was his runningt between the wickets. That too not because he was slow but because he couldnt be rushed with a bat in hand.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I think Inzamam is one of the ten best ODI batsmen ever personally. I don't have a dead-set top ten, but he'd be in there with Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Michael Bevan, Mark Waugh, Dean Jones, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Saeed Anwar etc. Terrific batsman Inzamam... I hope he isn't forgotten because although Mohammad Yousuf may pass him, I don't think Pakistan has had a better batsman in either form of the game (with the exception of maybe Miandad in Tests).

If there was one batsman who was totally unconcerned about the reputaion of the bowler he was facing it was Inzy. In fact the better the bowler the better he batted.
I don't entirely agree with that. Inzamam struggled against Warne in ODI's a lot IIRC. Warne has gotten him many times and if I recall Inzi looked a bit tentative an uncertain how to play him.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Inzi was a great player IMO...for ODIs...he sort of reminds me of Lara....inzi was the captain of a young developing side...and he had most of the responsibilty and he stood up well...ill remember him for that TBH...he did especially well aginst india in those historical serieses!

open365

International Vice-Captain
One thing against Inzy is the accusation that he doesn't perform in big tournaments, an article before the WC highlighted Inzy's terrible record in tournaments and finals which is something that should be taken into consideration when rating him imo, especialy as players like Lara and Hayden have to deal with it anytime their name is mentioned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Inzamam is one of the ten best ODI batsmen ever personally. I don't have a dead-set top ten, but he'd be in there with Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Michael Bevan, Mark Waugh, Dean Jones, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Saeed Anwar etc.
To compare him to Richards and Jones (not to mention Zaheer Abbas) is utterly fruitless IMO.

It'd be like comparing WG to Barrington.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One thing against Inzy is the accusation that he doesn't perform in big tournaments, an article before the WC highlighted Inzy's terrible record in tournaments and finals which is something that should be taken into consideration when rating him imo, especialy as players like Lara and Hayden have to deal with it anytime their name is mentioned.
Nonsense, that, IMO. Pakistan's most recent WC barely got going, so that counts for virtually nothing; and obviously he was poor in WC2003, which, purely and simply, can happen. But there was little wrong with his play in 3 out of 4 WCs, his first 3 being acceptible enough.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

If there was one batsman who was totally unfazed (and looked it) by the dire condition of his team in the match, it was Inzy. He seemed to thrive in crisis situation.

If there was one batsman who could judge the game situation and go about as if he knew exactly what was required (including the most effortless changing of gears ever) it was Inzy.

If there was one batsman who never ever looked anything less than effortlessly imperial at the wicket it was Inzy.

No, I have no doubt whatsoever that he was one of the finest (and relatively most under-rated) one day batsman ever. The only blot was his runningt between the wickets. That too not because he was slow but because he couldnt be rushed with a bat in hand.
:cool: Ditto.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
To compare him to Richards and Jones (not to mention Zaheer Abbas) is utterly fruitless IMO.

It'd be like comparing WG to Barrington.
I wasn't comparing them, rather just saying they'd be in my top ten. As it is, Viv would be number #2 on my list of all time best ODI batsmen (and a contender for #1). Jones... I don't know where he'd rank... but he wasn't as great as Viv.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't put them in the same top anything. The game Richards and Jones played was different to the one modern players have played. TBH, Jones did more than anyone to change into what it is today.

I'd never, ever put either in a top 10 with modern ODI players - only in one including players of their day.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i would defintly rate him higher than Dravid in one day game. as far as Test matches go i would pick him over Dravid but it is a topic of dabet here. another good thing about inzi was if inzy would not perform good in a series, his team would lost that series. if he would have a good series with bat, his team had higher chances of wining the series.
i think saeed anwar and inzy were to different batsman that can't be campared. saeed was one of the best one day openers while inzy was a one of the best middle order batsman.
in my opinon pakistan's best squad ever was 99 world cup when pakistan had both inzi and saeed anwar in the team.

i think ss was talking about camparing Lara with Dravid. lara is much better for many reason. when lara bats he dominates the opposition side's bowlers. Dravid is one of the most boring batsman to watch for me. i think what is the point of making 500 individual runs when a batsman do it in 5 days and draw the test series or what is the point of making 100 runs in 400 deliveries while making the audiance fall asleep when making those runs. well to cut it short i am describing Dravid there.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Can't really see how on Earth you got it that way around.
purly based on strike rate. inzi could play shots and make cricket fun to watch. Dravid is going to defence and defind every ball and make u fall asleep while watching the game. there ae occations that Dravid's slow bating have caused india the match. i will prove it soon.