• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatmore throws his hat into the ring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore has thrown his hat into the ring to succeed Greg Chappell as Indian cricket coach.

On the day Chappell handed in his resignation, two weeks after the team's first-round exit in the World Cup, Whatmore confirmed his interest in taking over the reins in India from his Australian compatriot.

The 53-year-old Whatmore coached Sri Lanka to World Cup success in 1996 and has worked wonders with the Bangladesh team, who effectively condemned India to an early exit from the World Cup with a surprise victory in the group phase of the competition.

The Indian board meets over two days starting Friday to delve into the World Cup debacle and discuss the subject of the next coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

pup11

International Coach
The BCCI offers the best money and luxuries to its coaches and support staff compared to any other board in the world, so i am not least suprised if Whatmore is interested in the job.

JBH001

International Regular
He'd probably do a good job too.

Considering the fact that he is quite low key in approach, part sub-continental himself, as well as having extensive experience in that part of the world.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would say he is the front runner.

But it woul be an absolute pity if guys like Sourav, Sachin, Viru, Harbhajan, AA and Yuvraj were left untouched after all that has happened. They have to take some part of the blame too. As one newspaper had said "his approach and his attitude may have been wrong, but at least, Chappell had no hidden agendas and only wanted Indian cricket to improve".

LA ICE-E

State Captain
The BCCI offers the best money and luxuries to its coaches and support staff compared to any other board in the world, so i am not least suprised if Whatmore is interested in the job.
I know about money but not about the luxuries though because there's a lot of hostilities there but still money talks...so whatmore walks..

Nishant

International 12th Man
Whatmore might be a good coach as far as i can see....we just have o hope that if he is selected, he is keen to bring in new ideas and doesnt get too influenced by the senior players...so he will be encouraged to bring in new players etc etc!

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
I think India should go for an un-proven coach, but someone who has excelled on the international scence. Someone like......

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Perhaps it would, 'Good teams gamble though' as the soccer proverb goes. Does anyone else have any suggestions for the next india coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.