Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakaway Cricket League in India

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Breakaway Cricket League in India

http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?...id=SPO&ssid=88

Zee News is going to start another league! Couldn't be happier, I was always hoping this would happen. Hopefully this will make the lazy bastards at BCCI do something about actual cricket.

Only disgusting part is that its going to be an ODI league, but hopefully that changes.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 03-04-2007 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

PY
    Even worse mate, it's starting as 20/20.

Shall be interesting to see if it pans out!
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah, lots of things begin big but then lose steam. Zee sports is just unhappy that they have almost no share of the cricket pie. ESPN/Star gets matches of the ICC, the matches in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. TEN SPORTS gets matches in Pakistan, SRi Lanka, West Indies. NEO SPORTS gets matches in India, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. All Zee have is the Afro/Asian Cup and other offshore matches of the BCCI. So they just want some kind of cricket to show on their channel. Don't read too much more into it. It is gonna fizzle out, most probably. These guys are no Kerry Packers.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah, lots of things begin big but then lose steam. Zee sports is just unhappy that they have almost no share of the cricket pie. ESPN/Star gets matches of the ICC, the matches in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. TEN SPORTS gets matches in Pakistan, SRi Lanka, West Indies. NEO SPORTS gets matches in India, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. All Zee have is the Afro/Asian Cup and other offshore matches of the BCCI. So they just want some kind of cricket to show on their channel. Don't read too much more into it. It is gonna fizzle out, most probably. These guys are no Kerry Packers.
    Bingo. I would wager that even if it does get off the ground, anyone associated would be quietly told that they can choose to be a part of the new group, or they can have a chance to be involved in the establishment, but not both.

No way will the BCCI allow another group to get their hands on even a small part of Indian cricket.

Banned
    Hope this works especially the Juniors concept.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Good news. Not that I want to see a breakaway league happening and further weakening the standard in the Ranji Trophy, but it might force the BCCI into doing something about the state of cricket there.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I can't help but thinking it's a bit optomistic aiming to get 16 teams in 3 years and be left with a compeition that's more competetive than the BCCI ran one.

I admit i don't know much about Indian domestic cricket but surely the main groups of cricketers that will join this new leauge are the ones who aren't getting a fair crack for their current side because they aren't good enough.

I know that would aid development, but to have a competetive leauge to bring in the money the quality needs to be there and i don't see the ICL bringing much quality from the current leauge.

This is good news but don't get too excited - it may turn out to be a money-making farce. I will wait to see the players, infrastructure and processes that are involved in the ICL before taking the concept seriously. Really, they should forget about the league and focus on fitness regimes and talent scouting - that will be far more useful than a bunch of Twenty20 matches among a bunch of no-namers (that's my assumption for now). SS and I should start one of these some day.
    Last edited by adharcric; 03-04-2007 at 01:19 PM.

hhhmmm....is that really going to be better for indian cricket? it may be like the world series in the 80's but on the other hand it might not...cause i'm sure the BCCI is going to bad the players that take part in the breakaway league...

Now how is this thing gonna work, they are talking about bringing in international players from other countries and Indian international players + domestic players.

But how are these international players gonna take time-out of their tightly scheduled international commitments.

I guess all the international players would be those who have been dropped from their respective teams.

well it doesn't have to be that way...i don't think they are not trying to do a Kerry Packer here...but it could happen like it happens in county cricket...but if they want to it with indian international players then they need to have a deal with BCCI and may be like cut down on the unneeded international cricket...or use the dropped international players or something like that because otherwise indian players couldn't play because of their contracts with BCCI

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    hhhmmm....is that really going to be better for indian cricket? it may be like the world series in the 80's but on the other hand it might not...cause i'm sure the BCCI is going to bad the players that take part in the breakaway league...
    Don't think it would do to underestimate the threat this poses - from my limited understanding this has the potential to be a new WSC. The articles I read said that Zee Tv had taken this step after their bid for the broadcast rights was rejected by the BCCI, despite it being the highest bid. They were prepared then to pay $380 million dollars for the rights for 4 years, so its not that they aren't prepared to spend money on this to make it work.

You can say that the BCCI would never let Zee get away with this. WSC established pretty much that you can't forbid pros from playing for who they want to - so then it becomes a question of who can convince the players they represent the best option for their self-interest. If Zee can persuade the majority of the Indian stars that they represent the best option, BCCI might find itself with no option but to eat humble pie and make a deal with Zee - just like the establishment had to do with Packer.

Admittedly the situation is tougher for somebody trying to stage a breakaway league these days as international players get very well paid already, but it doesn't seem to me that you can discount a determined effort by somebody with the kind of money Zee apparently have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    And I was only saying recently that we'd never see another Kerry Packer!

Seriously astounded that once again a TV company has decided to fight a Cricket Board.

No doubt the perpetrator of this will be lavished with praise for being in reality nothing other than a selfish **** who couldn't take his TV company being shunned in 30 years' time.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And I was only saying recently that we'd never see another Kerry Packer!

Seriously astounded that once again a TV company has decided to fight a Cricket Board.

No doubt the perpetrator of this will be lavished with praise for being in reality nothing other than a selfish **** who couldn't take his TV company being shunned in 30 years' time.
    Selfish? Yes, shame on them for being in business to make money! I have no problem with what Zee are trying to do, apart from the fact that its likely to interfere with cricket that I'd like to watch.

The reality is, its up to the boards of the world to keep their houses in order so even if somebody decides to do something like this, it won't affect their business. Whether we like it or not, international cricket is a big business, and with the amount of money involved, there are always going to be people willing to try and grab a chunk if they can. WSC established in court that the existing national boards have no God-given monopoly on cricket or those who play the sport. If the BCCI was a competent and credible lot then I'd doubt this would go anywhere. As it is...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I can't help thinking that this is likely to be a repeat of the Packer Schism, though maybe not quite so catastrophic as it was.

I'm well aware that cricket is massive business, but the fact of that is that it has it's downsides and this is one of the worst examples of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information