• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breakaway Cricket League in India

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really - assuming it is successful, this is the best thing that could happen to Indian cricket. Both BCCI and Zee are in it for the money, except Zee is an actual company with a financial stake in making sure cricket is successful. BCCI is a political body where the money that comes in, is usually pocketed by someone in a bureaucratic position. BCCI still doesn't even have a web site, let alone a professional CEO or an office building.

How anyone can say that a challenge - any challenge - to the corrupt and useless bastards at BCCI isn't a massive help to cricket in India is beyond me.
Because it's a challenge in completely the wrong area. That's like saying that a challenge to the ZCU, being a wing of Zanu PF, would in some way help the situation in Zimbabwe at large. Or that you could get something out of putting a challenge to the Lib Dems about the UK's part in the Iraq conflict.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because it's a challenge in completely the wrong area. That's like saying that a challenge to the ZCU, being a wing of Zanu PF, would in some way help the situation in Zimbabwe at large. Or that you could get something out of putting a challenge to the Lib Dems about the UK's part in the Iraq conflict.
Except its in exactly the right area. The Indian domestic structure is in shambles, the facilities stink, the stands are empty and all the teams live off money made by the national team. Something that would kick start and draw interest to domestic competition is exactly what we need.

adharcric

International Coach
Have to agree with SS here, this is great for Indian cricket. Doesn't really matter why Zee is doing this, just the fact that they are is good news.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It certainly does sound interesting.

Most likely is that it will be a sideshow with little effect and will fold within a season or 3.

However, on the off chance it does become big then there is the possibility that it could make a tangible difference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except its in exactly the right area. The Indian domestic structure is in shambles, the facilities stink, the stands are empty and all the teams live off money made by the national team. Something that would kick start and draw interest to domestic competition is exactly what we need.
Which is the same just about everywhere in The World. There's no chance, anywhere, of making domestic-First-Class cricket a spectator sport. No chance at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Which is the same just about everywhere in The World. There's no chance, anywhere, of making domestic-First-Class cricket a spectator sport. No chance at all.
Except other countries at least have some fan interest, or is broadcast on TV or radio, or at least the finals draw interest. In India nothing does. And regardless, that's not the point. If this new league brings in facilities, merit-based advancement, and proper management, it is light years ahead of the BCCI and their spineless incompetent lazy idiotic henchmen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You think there's any interest whatsoever by way of broadcast or attendance in South Africa, New Zealand or Pakistan? (Though TBH not sure about the broadcast case in SA - Kev may be able to help here)

So long as there are people who follow the game deeply, there'll be interest in the game. Not neccessarily the teams playing, but the players. And there's plenty of those in all cricket-playing countries. But they don't attend the domestic-First-Class game. Unless they're on a meetup with an online cricket forum.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You think there's any interest whatsoever by way of broadcast or attendance in South Africa, New Zealand or Pakistan? (Though TBH not sure about the broadcast case in SA - Kev may be able to help here)

So long as there are people who follow the game deeply, there'll be interest in the game. Not neccessarily the teams playing, but the players. And there's plenty of those in all cricket-playing countries. But they don't attend the domestic-First-Class game. Unless they're on a meetup with an online cricket forum.
As I said, potential interest is the least of the issues. Also, the league is a 20/20 league, and I hear that England has quite good interest in that regard.

I care more about bringing a bit of professionalism, facilities, management, etc to the domestic game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said, potential interest is the least of the issues. Also, the league is a 20/20 league, and I hear that England has quite good interest in that regard.
We do right now - the same was true of the 65-over stuff in 1963, and the 40-over stuff in 1969.

I wait with interest to see how quickly the Twenty20 Cup loses it's sheen, especially once the international game muscles in.

But yes, a domestic Twenty20 Cup in India wouldn't be the worst idea. But you should NEVER, EVER expect such a thing to lead to an increase in attendance at the domestic-First-Class game, because even those who care deeply about the thing (like me) aren't terribly interested in attending the games.
I care more about bringing a bit of professionalism, facilities, management, etc to the domestic game.
And we are now far more professional (in the efficiency sense of the word) now than we were in the 1970s - but arguably the game is far weaker now than then.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

You could not pay people in SA to go watch a 4 day FC game. The only time there are any crowds (and then they are very big) is when Pro-20 (what SA calls 20-20) is being played.

FC and List A games are on TV and some people will watch, but the only games people really watch on TV and talk about the next day, and follow the league table of is 20-20 (Pro-20).

Making Domestic FC games a financial success anywhere in the world (there may be exceptions but I cant think of any) would be virtually competely reliant on the amateur status of the players. And that is obviously a backwards step.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly.

How much FC and OD stuff is there on SA TV and is it pay-stations or free-to-air?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And we are now far more professional (in the efficiency sense of the word) now than we were in the 1970s - but arguably the game is far weaker now than then.
So the system then was better at analyzing and honing talent that they had, compared to now? Why?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly.

How much FC and OD stuff is there on SA TV and is it pay-stations or free-to-air?
I think all FC and the vast majority of OD is on DSTV, the equivelant of Sky. Though TBH its by far the best way. I dont even consider it a pay-station as life here would be impossible without it with only SABC and E-Tv to watch (though I never have watched any of those channels).

Free-to-air has had its day regarding cricket and sports in general.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably true, TBH. :(

At least in most places. Maybe might last a bit longer in Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So the system then was better at analyzing and honing talent that they had, compared to now? Why?
If anyone knew the answer to that question, they'd probably be able to solve all problems in cricket.

The facts, though, are pretty indisputable IMO - there were far more high-quality cricketers who produced the figures season-in-season-out in the 1970s than there are now. And the amount of cricket played was little different.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If anyone knew the answer to that question, they'd probably be able to solve all problems in cricket.

The facts, though, are pretty indisputable IMO - there were far more high-quality cricketers who produced the figures season-in-season-out in the 1970s than there are now. And the amount of cricket played was little different.
Lack of talent is not necessarily the system's fault.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also, I am not sure but it sounds like you're trying to say that meritocracy, professionalism, better coaching, fitness levels, management, and facilities will somehow harm Indian cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm certainly not. I'm saying don't take it as a magic fix.
No one said it was. What I'm saying is that any league that will introduce competition is a good thing because it challenges the BCCI's complacency and might just force improvement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair noof. Re-reading the thread I can see how we got dragged off the central issues.