• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI Faces Its Toughest Challenge

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The way 'Chappell Ways' works, it was bound to happen. Unfortunately it cost India a good outing in the WC 2007. Some of us already knew this was going to happen, mojority were in denial and kept accusing those who questions 'Chappell Ways' of being biased.

Not to forget the fact that the Indian players are acting like a bunch of cry babies. Please dont ask them for hard work, please dont pull them out of their comfort zone. I really have lost all respect for this entire team and would have no problem if they kicked everyone out and started building a fresh team for future.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The players who need to be kicked out first are Ganguly, Tendulkar, Harbhajan, and Sehwag. How can they conspire against their captain and coach in such an important tournament.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The players who need to be kicked out first are Ganguly, Tendulkar, Harbhajan, and Sehwag. How can they conspire against their captain and coach in such an important tournament.
Yea, I agree. From that article, Dravid and Chappell need to go too, but as a professional player, you still have to do your best and try to work within what you have instead of conspiring and forming cliques within the team.

In any case, it hasn't really been a bad year for Indian cricket - far from it. We won our first series in the carribean in 35 years and won for the first time ever in SA. So the last 12 months have been really positive, from my view.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288609.html

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. What an utterly ridiculous situation. If the situation is as bad as the article paints, you need a complete revamp. That means, get rid of the seniors, get rid of the captain, the coach and pretty much everyone else, and start over.
That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If you allow the inmates to run the asylum (woah- metaphor overload...), then the problems will keep recurring. It might die down for a year or two, but then the next time there is a difference in opinion, you will be back in the same position again.

The board need to have a coach and captain whose vision for the team matches theirs- and presumably, that is why they appointed Chappell and Dravid. The rest of the players have the responsibility of following that vision. If they don't the team will fail. That is the one constant in all team sports.

On principle alone, I would retain Chappell and Dravid for a year or so, and make a statement by dropping the players that have been unprofessional. If they think that the coach and captain should be changed, then do so in a year after the message has been sent to the players that they follow the team direction, not their own. That helps enact a culture change within the team set up, and the younger players will see that the team wishes are paramount. It also gives the board the chance to work out what sort of coach they want, rather than makin a populist, knee-jerk decision.

If you keep the dissenting players and drop the leadership, the wrong message is clearly sent to the next lot of players.

Unfortunately (and I mean no disrespect to my Indian brethren here) I don't have a great deal of confidence that the BCCI will allow team discipline to overrule politics. Make a couple of token gestures to each side, and leave the problems to fester.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bracken said:
If you keep the dissenting players and drop the leadership, the wrong message is clearly sent to the next lot of players.

Unfortunately (and I mean no disrespect to my Indian brethren here) I don't have a great deal of confidence that the BCCI will allow team discipline to overrule politics. Make a couple of token gestures to each side, and leave the problems to fester.
Agreed completely.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If you allow the inmates to run the asylum (woah- metaphor overload...), then the problems will keep recurring. It might die down for a year or two, but then the next time there is a difference in opinion, you will be back in the same position again.

The board need to have a coach and captain whose vision for the team matches theirs- and presumably, that is why they appointed Chappell and Dravid. The rest of the players have the responsibility of following that vision. If they don't the team will fail. That is the one constant in all team sports.

On principle alone, I would retain Chappell and Dravid for a year or so, and make a statement by dropping the players that have been unprofessional. If they think that the coach and captain should be changed, then do so in a year after the message has been sent to the players that they follow the team direction, not their own. That helps enact a culture change within the team set up, and the younger players will see that the team wishes are paramount. It also gives the board the chance to work out what sort of coach they want, rather than makin a populist, knee-jerk decision.

Agree. But honestly, a bit of talking to Chappell about his ego and the way he uses the media may not be out of place at all.

pup11

International Coach
Chappell in a way has exposed the real face of Indian cricket and its senior cricketers. I mean how pathetic and selfish are these so called greats of Indian cricket who are more worried about their own future rather their country.

I feel for Dravid he didn't deserved to be treated like trash by his team-mates.

I think Indian cricket might take a long time to come out of this mess and BCCI certainly has some thinking to do now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Based on that article, IMHO, all of them should be sacked. Let us get Patil as the coach and let us drop/rest Sachin, Sourav, Harbhajan, AA, Sehwag and Dravid. Let us see what the others can do. I would rather see India lose to Bangladesh with an united and spirited side than see India beat them with a divided side.

A message needs to be sent to guys like Chappell, Dravid, Sachin, Sourav, Viru and Harbhajan that none of them is bigger than Indian cricket and that they have made more out of cricket than they have given back to the game. I really have lost a lot of respect for blokes like Sachin after all this, tbh.

Of course, I am assuming that the reports are reasonably true (and seeing it appear in so many different places makes me think that they are true). If they are not, obviously my apologies go out to everyone concerned.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kumble seems to be conspicuously missing from the list of disenfranchised seniors...

Make him captain of the Test team, and suspend the ODI team permanently. :ph34r:

OK, well realistically, I have no idea who should be captain.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Based on that article, IMHO, all of them should be sacked. Let us get Patil as the coach and let us drop/rest Sachin, Sourav, Harbhajan, AA, Sehwag and Dravid. Let us see what the others can do. I would rather see India lose to Bangladesh with an united and spirited side than see India beat them with a divided side.
The problem that I see with getting rid of everyone at once is that the players know that they will only be temporarily away from the side, and those same players will be well aware that Dravid and Chappell will both lose their jobs permanently.

That still creates the same problem- in a few months, the dissenting players will know that their behaviour has achieved their goals, which is patently bad for any long term benefits to the side.

Chappell and Dravid may very well be the wrong people to lead the team- but leaving them in their jobs for a year wouldn't be nearly as damaging to Indian cricket as allowing the next generation of players to come into the team with the idea that they might want to align themselves with the wishes of the senior faction rather than those of the team management.

I agree with you- a message needs to be sent to instill a culture within the set up- the goals of the team come before the wishes of a few players. Allowing the disruptive players to get any sort of "success" from these actions won't send that message.

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
It is very easy to say "Throw away everyone.Build a new team".But then one question arises.Who are the replacements?If India can offer better players than these so-called seniors evenif they are 40 or 17,I don't care,I can agree with you.As per a new article I have read(Checkout it,it is in cricinfo) the Indian players were not happy with the coach.And how can there be a team if there is no unity between coach and players.There are 2 solutions.Change the players or change the coach and captain.The second one would be easy and better because Chappell and Dravid are the most pathetic coach and captain I've ever seen.
The other solution is to retain chappell and make karthik the captain and raina the vice captain.They will certainly win you the next worldcup.Oh,God....please learn from mistakes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As far as I'm concerned, there is no 'right' or 'correct' party in this case. From the facts and alleged situations put forward in the last month or so, taking a 'side' is almost impossible.

pup11

International Coach
Now the senior players have hit out against Chappell and his comments regarding them.

They have said that Chappell is a dictator and he spread insecurities among the players,and he is blaming them just to save his own neck.

Indian cricket in its worst phase since the match-fixing scandal atm.

R_D

International Debutant
As far as I'm concerned, there is no 'right' or 'correct' party in this case. From the facts and alleged situations put forward in the last month or so, taking a 'side' is almost impossible.
wise man... sitting on the fence ;)
That way your not attached to either side.

What a farce... if these stories are true than i have lost lot of respect for sachin, this is something i never expected from someone like him.

Ps- love the new spell checker on Firefox.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, I really thought Sachin would have more class than that. I thought he should be dropped before, but this really cements it. I always thought Ganguly and Bhajji would do something like this, but not others.

Ah well, get rid of them all.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm not saying I condone the behavior of Tendulkar, Ganguly etc, but I believe the atmosphere was poisoned by Chappell. He created an environment of suspicion and manipulation, if reports are to be believed. I still remember the Indian team that triumphantly won in Pakistan for the first time in history. They were a united group then. How did it all goto pieces in such a relatively short period, with the same group of senior players involved that were united in victory back then? What has changed so drastically since then? I think the answer lies in the entry of Chappell as the new coach. He may have exposed some rotten tendencies of Indian players, but he had a large part to play in that. I think he needs to go. The players should be held accountable as well. It would be wise of the Indian board to drop Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sehwag, Bhaji and anyone else that played a rebellious role and caused the team to fail. I think the last thing a potential new coach should have to deal with is this division in the team.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
wise man... sitting on the fence ;)
That way your not attached to either side.

What a farce... if these stories are true than i have lost lot of respect for sachin, this is something i never expected from someone like him.

Ps- love the new spell checker on Firefox.
I hate it!
like the suggestions for the search, though..don't think i've seen that before.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
btw, according to the article, the rifts started after Ganguly came in..that would be in South Africa. We have been performing poorly for a while before that.
Just thought I'd point it out.