• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Strategies

Natman20

International Debutant
It is known that the most effective bowlers are ones that can mix up there dileveries from changing the pace, changing the seam movement etc. What I aim to do here is to analyse and evaluate particular ways to get a batsman out by choosing where fielders should stand and with your help possibly the delivery that should be used. For this first analysis I will use a fast bolwer as an example. I will try to gather images that can help outline these strategies. The ideas I will try to convey would be in an ODI situation where batsman would presumably try to play shots.

1. Fast Bowler

This batsman is known to have a tendancy to pull the ball - RHB "George"

Check out the Attachments.

Here is what I have to say to explain myself.

Ideally to induce the pull shot I would try to bowl a length that is fairly short and looking to go towards the middle and leg stump. Ideally to make it uncomfortable and try to create an opportunity there should be either exaggerated swing movement maybe starting at off moving towards leg or seam movement. The vertical red line symbolises the length I would choose to try induce the pull shot and the horizontal line is the ideal line. Of course this strategy is a very risky one and has the potential to be create a lot of runs for the batsman. Now for fielding positions. Of course with this type of shot fielders on the leg side are vital. I have made some fielding places that are likely to be able to complete catches with yellow dots. The fine-leg position is there because it could be possible that the batsman doesnt get hold of the ball and maybe edge it or mis-time it. This position could be handy but that theory of where the batsman hits it is unlikely. The position that would probably place the most pressure on the batsman is either mid-wicket, deep mid-wicket or deep square leg with long on also a posibility. If there was a mid-wicket without someone in the deep in behind the batsman may be tempted to hit over the top however if he gets it wrong there is a possibility that he would hit it straight at the mid-wicket feilder. If the batsman is always managing to find gaps then the strategy should possibly change. This is an aggressive approach to take wickets whereas ideally a lot of people would make sure that he would not be allowed to play his favoured pull shot.

Attachments

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
When im stuck for an idea im a fan of bowling lots of balls where the batsmen finds it hard to score and then bowling a sucker ball that they will really have a go at an dhopefully get caught from.

If the batsmen are trying to score mixing it up (it terms of pace and line) will always test them.

pup11

International Coach
I personally like to bowl a lot of bumpers at the batsman when i find myself in trouble.

My line and length can be a bit all-over the place (like Taito) most of the time TBH.

Natman20

International Debutant
Do you think that bowlers use theories or anyhting like I said often or do they just mix it up and bowl and hope to take wickets. I think the best bowlers are the ones that can make these sorts of strategies and use it once or twice an over although a lot of bowlers without these sorts of things could possibly be high class as well. I think the bowlers like Bond, Vettori, Warne, Murali, McGrath etc. all have particular strategies in their heads as to where the ball should be in order for the ball to go to the fielder.

pup11

International Coach
I think every bowler has got some strengths and weaknesses so i guess they just try to stick to their strengths and they just try to bowl in the right areas and vary their pace and lengths.

And of course at the end of the day hope for the best.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Do you think that bowlers use theories or anyhting like I said often or do they just mix it up and bowl and hope to take wickets. I think the best bowlers are the ones that can make these sorts of strategies and use it once or twice an over although a lot of bowlers without these sorts of things could possibly be high class as well. I think the bowlers like Bond, Vettori, Warne, Murali, McGrath etc. all have particular strategies in their heads as to where the ball should be in order for the ball to go to the fielder.
Tbh i think McGrath just bowls in exactly the same area every delivery because that's the best area to bowl it against any batsman.

I think these so called strategies for batsman are a bit over valued as most batsman in the modern game today aren't one trick ponies and even if they were, i still maintain that the line McGrath and Pollock bowl is where everyone should aim to bowl full stop because quite simply it works the best.

There's not many places you can bowl to a batsman without the obvious results, remember the England bowling plans? They were completely pointless as they basicaly said "Bowl outside offstump" for every batsman which to international bowlers should be common knowledge. "I just close my eyes and wang it down" - Matthew Hoggard

I think spinner use plan more than quick bowlers because their art is more intricate.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Generally CBF coming up with a strategy for bowling to a batsman, save for something like 'two fast outswingers, and then a slower offcutter.' I just vary my pace a lot; normally in a game I'll bowl two spells, with the first coming off a long run up, bowling at my fastest, and then I'll slip in a slower ball (split fingered or offcutter). In my second spell, I bowl off the same run up, but kind of canter in and bowl medium pacers, and then I vary my pace up just by putting a bit more effort into the delivery.

Woodster

International Captain
If I was bowling to a batsman that favoured the pull, I would test him out early doors with a few short ones leaving deep mid wicket and deep backward square vacant. A fine leg would be in place as would a square leg (or a touch backward dependant on pace of the pitch). The square leg would be a touch deeper than regulation, but I would attempt to entice the batsman to play the pull/hook early in his innings, horizontal bat shots on a wicket you are not yet accustomed to is going to work in the bowlers favour.

If then, however, he pulls me at will (which is probably what would take place!), I would adjust my line and my field accordingly. I would use the shorter ball sparingly, and I would change my line when I do bowl it to outside his off stump so he really does have to fetch it if he wants to pull/hook it, thus increasing the chances of the ball going straight up. A deep backward and/or a deep mid wicket (track dependant) would now be in place.

All this is obviously hypothetical as I only manage medium pace these days, and despit being 6 foot 6, the pitches I play on are traditionally not conducive to attempting bouncers.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If the batsmen are batting reasonably normally then I try and bowl plenty of flighted balls to tempt them, with as many revolutions on the ball as possible, usually outside leg-stump, to bring out the moo, though it also helps that my natural line is outside leg-stump. It's a strategy that leads to the odd clouting but plenty of wickets too.

If they're setting up a declaration/slogging, then obviously I'll bowl flatter but variations in pace are still useful and the odd wrong-'un doesn't go amiss either.

jeffpartridge

Cricket Spectator
I would like to see someone who can pitch it short to get the batsman to play a pull shot and also be able to swing it from off stump to leg stump when it is being pitched that short. Must be a legend of a bowler.... Shane bond perhaps?

jeffpartridge

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, but swinging it from off to leg when its pitched short? That's what it says in the first post...

Anyway, I think its going to be an Aussie vs Black Caps final....

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
The Slower-ball Yorker can create problems for every batsman

I am an off-spinner, and when I need a wicket, tossing up and pitching at leg stump seems to do the trick. It cuts back in a fair bit and has fooled everyone. Have to save t for special occaisions though