• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overthrows?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Why when batsmen run a single and the ball is overthrown to the boundary do they get 5 but when a batsman hits a good shot, runs a single, the fielder dives on the boundary but knocks it over the rope, the batting side only gets 4?

Is there a specific rule for overthrows?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That-'un's always baffled me, too.

I never see how any "run" runs should count when the ball crosses the boundary.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Why when batsmen run a single and the ball is overthrown to the boundary do they get 5 but when a batsman hits a good shot, runs a single, the fielder dives on the boundary but knocks it over the rope, the batting side only gets 4?

That would be Law 19.6

open365

International Vice-Captain
6. Overthrow or wilful act of fielder
If the boundary results either from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder the runs scored shall be
(i) the penalty for a No ball or a Wide, if applicable, together with any penalties under either of Laws 18.5(b) (Deliberate short runs) or 42 (Fair and unfair play) that are applicable before the boundary is scored
and (ii) the allowance for the boundary
and (iii) the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they have crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Ah ha

luffy

International Captain
Never really thought of that tbh. Maybe it should be a new rule one day??

adharcric

International Coach
Let me try to justify it. In the first scenario, the batsmen get the runs that they have run and additionally there is a punishment of 4 runs for the fielding side as a result of the overthrow. Otherwise, the overthrow could either cost you 1, 2 or 3 runs based upon how many the batsmen have run, which makes no sense. In the second scenario, the batsman should get 4 runs (no more, no less) because he managed to get the ball past the fielders to the boundary, which pretty much translates into 4 runs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

When I was watching the OT test in 05, McGrath was hitting a single, which obviously would have taken him off strike. i thought to myself, why doesn't the fielder just throw it out so it's four, and he keeps the strike. But obviously it would have been overthrows and five (and hugely detrimental to the spirit of the game, I never actually expected it to be done). I'm sure this isn't the reason why the law exists, but for me it's a definite plus, as the fielding side could manipulate the strike when they had runs to spare with "accidental" overthrows.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
When I was watching the OT test in 05, McGrath was hitting a single, which obviously would have taken him off strike. i thought to myself, why doesn't the fielder just throw it out so it's four, and he keeps the strike. But obviously it would have been overthrows and five (and hugely detrimental to the spirit of the game, I never actually expected it to be done). I'm sure this isn't the reason why the law exists, but for me it's a definite plus, as the fielding side could manipulate the strike when they had runs to spare with "accidental" overthrows.
Its difficult to manipulate if the batsmen are on to it.

They can refuse to take more runs than they want (odd or even number) and refuse to run extra due to the over throws. There isnt, normally, enough time for the fielder to get this idea and get an over thrown four before the batsmen have crossed for the first run. Only that can convert the odd number to even.

What can happen, neverthess, and does some times, is that a fielder allows a boundary by not fielding or kicking the ball over the fence. In the latter case, the umpires may take issue if it is very blatant.