• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Tendulkar should consider quitting' by Ian chappel

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
tendulkar should go

look plain and simple VVS Laxman And M.Kaif Should be playing oneday cricket for india and kaif should be one day skipper and laxman should probably be test skipper until kaif is ready

at 31 VVS can still pl;ay the next world cup who cares about him being sluggish in the field we needed his experience at number 3 in the world cup and kaif at 6 or 7

As for tendulkar seriously everyone should go from the one day squad including him

Tendulkar Ganguly and Dravid should be gone harbajan should go aswell ive had enough lack luster performances from him

People mite say im stupid to say that VVS should be recalled to the ODI squad but why waste his undoubted skill with the bat he has 4 years left in him

Kaif Laxman Murali Kartkik and my cousin, biased ofcourse tamil nadus vidyut shivaramakrishnan needs to get a look in
My ODI Team/Squad
1.G.Gahmbir
2.D.Karthik
3.VVS Laxman
4.Yuvraj Singh
5.Mohammed Kaif (C)
6.MS Dhoni (WK)
7.Irfan Pathan (Undoubted Allround talent must be given more of a chance at #7)
8.Ajit Agarkar (Statistically the best ODI bowler India has ever Had)
9.Zaheer Khan
10.Murali Kartkik
11.S.Sreesanth (or Ramesh Powar Based on the Conditions)

12.Virender Sehwag
13.Venugopal Rao(About 50 times the Player Suresh Raina is)
14.Ramesh Powar(good performer but c'mon seriously Murali Kartkik all the way)
15.Vidyut (Although this wont happen i would love to see it play another batsman god forbid suresh raina or a quick in munaf patel)

That closes out my Indian Squad for the Next Series

As Far As The Test Goes there are no 4 year plans in place and our test side has performed admirably of lat so all of teh above keep their placxes with VVS laxman as a caretaker captain til kaif is ready. No place for Yuvraj in the test team as yet. I also believe tendular dravid and gangully should be at 4 5 and 6 and VVS at 3. His average is 60 batting at 3 for india.

1.Wasim Jaffer
2.Dinesh Kartkik
3.VVS Laxman
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Saourav Ganguly
7. MS Dhoni
8. Anil Kumble
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Sreesanth
11. Munaf Patel/Balaji if fit

12Murali Kartkik
13.Harbajan Singh
14. Virender Shewag
15.Mohammed Kaif
16.Yuvraj Singh

Thats Who My Squad Ecompasses

Please let me hear your thoughts everyone.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
See, that's just palpably wrong.

Tendulkar may be unable to score runs like he did back in the 90s, but so what? If he's not in the top echelon of batsman nowadays, that's sad, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be playing for India, if he's likely to score more runs than his competing teammates vying for his middle order spot.

You saying he must score the runs like he did a number of years ago is ridiculous. If he gets a double ton in England similar to that of Sydney, it'd be great for Team India. Maybe not for vintage Tendulkar fans, but that's not who he plays for, not should he.
That is where this gets tough, Jono.

Maybe Sachin is still good enough to average 40 overall. But let us say a youngster (Rohit Sharma, for instance) is also good enough to average round about the same (say around 37-38) and is a better fielder than Sachin. Also, throw in the fact that someone like him is going to improve, most probably, as opposed to SAchin, who, in all probability, will either stay the same or go down a bit.

That is where the selectors should make a call and basically stick to it. Chopping and changing too much will never help.

pup11

International Coach
Sachin tendulkar won't be dropped and thats the bottom line and the ground reality of Indian cricket.

No selector or administrators have the guts to drop him because in India he is larger than game itself.

Only way Sachin can go out of the team is if he personally retires on his own terms.

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
Sachin tendulkar won't be dropped and thats the bottom line and the ground reality of Indian cricket.

No selector or administrators have the guts to drop him because in India he is larger than game itself.

Only way Sachin can go out of the team is if he personally retires on his own terms.
Spot on mate.That is exactly why I said this forum shouldn't have opened.by the way I support Sachin

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
look plain and simple VVS Laxman And M.Kaif Should be playing oneday cricket for india and kaif should be one day skipper and laxman should probably be test skipper until kaif is ready

at 31 VVS can still pl;ay the next world cup who cares about him being sluggish in the field we needed his experience at number 3 in the world cup and kaif at 6 or 7

As for tendulkar seriously everyone should go from the one day squad including him

Tendulkar Ganguly and Dravid should be gone harbajan should go aswell ive had enough lack luster performances from him

People mite say im stupid to say that VVS should be recalled to the ODI squad but why waste his undoubted skill with the bat he has 4 years left in him

Kaif Laxman Murali Kartkik and my cousin, biased ofcourse tamil nadus vidyut shivaramakrishnan needs to get a look in
My ODI Team/Squad
1.G.Gahmbir
2.D.Karthik
3.VVS Laxman
4.Yuvraj Singh
5.Mohammed Kaif (C)
6.MS Dhoni (WK)
7.Irfan Pathan (Undoubted Allround talent must be given more of a chance at #7)
8.Ajit Agarkar (Statistically the best ODI bowler India has ever Had)
9.Zaheer Khan
10.Murali Kartkik
11.S.Sreesanth (or Ramesh Powar Based on the Conditions)

12.Virender Sehwag
13.Venugopal Rao(About 50 times the Player Suresh Raina is)
14.Ramesh Powar(good performer but c'mon seriously Murali Kartkik all the way)
15.Vidyut (Although this wont happen i would love to see it play another batsman god forbid suresh raina or a quick in munaf patel)

That closes out my Indian Squad for the Next Series

As Far As The Test Goes there are no 4 year plans in place and our test side has performed admirably of lat so all of teh above keep their placxes with VVS laxman as a caretaker captain til kaif is ready. No place for Yuvraj in the test team as yet. I also believe tendular dravid and gangully should be at 4 5 and 6 and VVS at 3. His average is 60 batting at 3 for india.

1.Wasim Jaffer
2.Dinesh Kartkik
3.VVS Laxman
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Saourav Ganguly
7. MS Dhoni
8. Anil Kumble
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Sreesanth
11. Munaf Patel/Balaji if fit

12Murali Kartkik
13.Harbajan Singh
14. Virender Shewag
15.Mohammed Kaif
16.Yuvraj Singh

Thats Who My Squad Ecompasses

Please let me hear your thoughts everyone.
If this is for the India A team I agree mate

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

sadly, I agree that it is true.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, SS i agree Sachin is very close to being the Indian captain for the 3rd time now, and that would probably be the only way he might be able to hold his place in the side, atleast for a while.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder - and the Indian fans on the board can help me out with this - will Tendulkar's absence be a plus for the sport? Will expectations become more realistic as the team is given time to build? Without it's main star, will the light go from blindingly bright to "just right". If not, and there are no better alternatives, why would his absence benefit Indian cricket?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wonder - and the Indian fans on the board can help me out with this - will Tendulkar's absence be a plus for the sport? Will expectations become more realistic as the team is given time to build? Without it's main star, will the light go from blindingly bright to "just right". If not, and there are no better alternatives, why would his absence benefit Indian cricket?
Nope, the mob will find a new one to focus their energy on. Maybe Dhoni.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have to disagree there, sure he's not as good as he used to be but his statistical form is no where near as bad as a lot of people make out.

In his last ten games, he's averaged 44.28(higher than his career average), in 2006 he averaged 44.85(also higher than his career average).

People need to rating Sachin by his own standards, if anyone else in the Indian team(part from Ganguly maybe) had turned out those stats no body would be complaining.
The question was about Test matches.

Swervy

International Captain
last ten tests he averages 25.
In his last 20 tests (not including B'desh) he averages 30

Even in his last 25 tests which includes the unbeaten 241, 60 and 194 in a row he averages 41.

He certainly is not a model of consistancy

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, SS i agree Sachin is very close to being the Indian captain for the 3rd time now, and that would probably be the only way he might be able to hold his place in the side, atleast for a while.
Yet 5 hours before this post you said how he wouldn't be dropped, and thus by definition would keep his place in the side regardless of who's captain.

What happened in the 5 hours that meant that he now has to be captain to not be dropped?

pup11

International Coach
marc, Tendulkar has himself shown keen interest to captain Indian side for one more time.

I doubt whether questions would be asked about Tendulkar's place in the side once he becomes the captain, so that would give him an easier and tension free ride in the team.

Tendulkar won't ever be dropped from the team, we all can see the kind of outburst over Chappell's comments regarding him, imagine what would happen if he is dropped.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar won't ever be dropped from the team, we all can see the kind of outburst over Chappell's comments regarding him, imagine what would happen if he is dropped.
actually what would happen? some mob burning some effigies maybe? some idiot fans going on some stupid hunger strike for a few days? even if it's more than that, it's better to get that madness over with and move on rather than being scared to touch that scenario....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
actually what would happen? some mob burning some effigies maybe? some idiot fans going on some stupid hunger strike for a few days? even if it's more than that, it's better to get that madness over with and move on rather than being scared to touch that scenario....
it is, but do you think the guys who matter will think that way?

Indian cricket just seems destined to never rise above mediocrity and that is the way it is gonna be, I guess. The fans (there are one or two of that sort here at CW too) need to understand that Sachin is NOT bigger than Indian cricket and that he has earned more from it than he has GIVEN to it. And that it is not the end of the world when a player is dropped due to bad form, no matter how big a star he is.