• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ players doing well in Domestic comp.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see some current NZ players & one's close to selection doing well.

James Marshall 74
Hamish Marshall 88*
Brendon McCullum 53
Warren McSkimming 47*
Nathan Astle 42 & 3/34
Michael Papps 88
Chris Cairns 76*
Shane Bond 52 & 2/54
James Franklin 6/38
Stephen Fleming 55
Chris Nevin 49*
Brent Hefford 2/28

So I guess the selectors will be relatively pleased that fringe players are putting their hand up. Especially James Franklin who was dropped & only got called up to Wellington because of another player's injury.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
James Franklin is not a bad bowler as I saw him against Pakistan, why is he struggling to make it to the side ?

Kimbo

International Debutant
He has had some extremely bad performances for NZ as I remember.
Lets have a look at his figures...

Well, Gotchya, you are right, he did play well against Pakistan- he has only played two tests and both were against Pakistan.
He took 7 wickets at 21.42.

Its one dayers that he has performed badly in...
He has taken 20 wickets in 24 matches at 45.35.

Maybe he should be given another go at test level- if we need him...

oh and good to see Bond scored 52... his batting could develop quite nicely. you've got to love a big fast bowler that likes to swing the bat

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I was quite interested to see that Bond bats at Number 3 or 4 for his club side. The club competition is of a high quality as well.

Good to see Papps is in the runs.. could be a NZ call up for him or one of the Marshells to fill in that opening position

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon in the next year, Bond could develop into an all-rounder for NZ.

He's very capable of getting 50's, and I wouldn't mind seeing him move up to #8 or #9 instead of his usual position of 10 or 11.

I think that also shows the strength of batting in the tail-enders for NZ. All of our tail-enders can bat which is part of the reason why we are doing well in test cricket anyway.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Adding to that list...

Tim McIntosh 48*
Rob Nicol 50*

these are 2 players im sure the selectors will be looking at after the World Cup is over.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Good to see a bit of competition for spots in the team. We haven't had that in a long time. Finally a bit of depth...

[Edited on 1/12/2002 by Sunil Havascar]

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Rob Nicol 147*

quick Sir Richard Hadlee, you can't leave a guy averaging 50 with 3 centuries in his first real season of first class cricket on the sidelines.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Great to see Jimmy Marshall scoring runs over there. He had a good period with our club over here, scored plenty of runs and was a really top bloke, so hopefully he can score some big scores and get close to a Kiwi spot.

Where is he ranked in comparison to other Kiwi's??? Far from a spot or close??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say both the Marshall brothers will be close to the top of the pecking order at the moment.

anzac

International Debutant
I recall Franklin being talked of as being groomed to be Cairn's eventual replacement as the all rounder in the team. Apparently he can hold a bat and this was what supposedly first brought him to notice. He still needs another yard in pace and I would like to see him use his height to better effect - but heck he's still in his early 20's. Like the English bowlers he lost his length during the Tri series over here, but he had shown enough that he was awkward for the top orders for both OZ & SA.

NZ have a good crop of youngsters all in their early 20's - Vincent, Tuffey, Franklin, Bell, McCullum, Adams, Butler & Oram have all made their international debuts - and Vettori is still in the same age bracket!!!

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
NZ have a good crop of youngsters all in their early 20's - Vincent, Tuffey, Franklin, Bell, McCullum, Adams, Butler & Oram have all made their international debuts - and Vettori is still in the same age bracket!!!

:)
Because he started so early, one tends to forget he's still only 22 - yet he's played 43 matches? He could easily go on to play another 15 years, and that'd be an enormous number of Tests, and he may even challenge highest wicket takers of all time!