• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

inside look into expanding

LA ICE-E

State Captain
here's a funny quote from japan "Yes, mate, sign here to join the Baseball Club. We've made a few rule changes, mind."

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah i did read that..and i think he's wrong because the evidence is there- china playing its 1st womens international match...them playing in the sixes etc...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know the correspondants, having been part of the same writing team for the same book, the way he does, do you?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no but i do know that there's been improvement because i pay attention to the minnows...if you did you would see some results too but to you all that matters is the top 8 and even if a team gets test status you'll be the 1st one to say they don't deserve it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll say they don't deserve it.

Those correspondants on CRTW pay attention, too - and as Matthew Engel says, they often over-egg the pudding.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah i did read that..and i think he's wrong because the evidence is there- china playing its 1st womens international match...them playing in the sixes etc...
I could be wrong here, given I've not gone back for over a year, but the women's international match was half made up of expat women playing against another similar team from another country (forget what it was, may have been Hong Kong). That said, it is encouraging that half the team was locals, but all the players came from the one club in Shanghai, and the majority of the locals were introduced to it through their expat boyfriends. As for the sixes (assuming you mean Hong Kong), it's a purely expat team that goes, again from the same club.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I could be wrong here, given I've not gone back for over a year, but the women's international match was half made up of expat women playing against another similar team from another country (forget what it was, may have been Hong Kong). That said, it is encouraging that half the team was locals, but all the players came from the one club in Shanghai, and the majority of the locals were introduced to it through their expat boyfriends. As for the sixes (assuming you mean Hong Kong), it's a purely expat team that goes, again from the same club.
Well it was like in 2006 i think that i heard they toured england...and i know hong kongs like full of expats but think i read it somewhere that china was playing it...anyways the article doesn't even say all good stuff about it...theres negative stuff too...so i think its a fairly balanced article...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very interesting insight from Master Cameron, there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And yet the writer is distinctly cautious and doesn't paint an especially optimistic picture for those who believe it's a forgone conclusion that China will soon take cricket seriously.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
And yet the writer is distinctly cautious and doesn't paint an especially optimistic picture for those who believe it's a forgone conclusion that China will soon take cricket seriously.
never said it was going to happen overnight...its doesn't happen overnight...but its a good start...

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
never said it was going to happen overnight...its doesn't happen overnight...but its a good start...
You want the game to expand which can only help the game of cricket but we have to face reality except maybe Kenya there won't be a new Test team in our lifetime. The ICC can grant all the ODI status they want but these new countries won't be able to sustain the game as the full members have.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
You want the game to expand which can only help the game of cricket but we have to face reality except maybe Kenya there won't be a new Test team in our lifetime. The ICC can grant all the ODI status they want but these new countries won't be able to sustain the game as the full members have.
well, we might see some...may not you, depending on how old you are:p but i expect to see some in my lifetime...kenya, had a set back with its administrative problems or could have been really close to getting it by now... and if the chinese government puts a foot on it than they might get it (not now but sometime later in "my lifetime")...also the likes of nepal and afghanstan might get it because they are getting some good start at the grass root... the only nation right now from the 6 associates that might get test status is kenya, may be, just may be ireland (they have been doing good in the intercontinental trophy{2nd trier test}). but as always things might go wrong like a new chinese government condemning cricket or something or things might be better...who knows.. but looking at how ireland can be looking forward at test status if they go like this...and some test quality players stay loyal..cant they?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well one thing for sure...some of the english commentators would have a really hard time saying some of the chinese names...