• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

inside look into expanding

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but looking at how ireland can be looking forward at test status if they go like this...and some test quality players stay loyal..cant they?
Ireland can never, ever get Test status because Ireland is in cricketing terms part of England and every Irishman who has ever got good at cricket has played in and for England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
never said it was going to happen overnight...its doesn't happen overnight...but its a good start...
And it's a start many have made. A start is of little consequence. It's the next few steps that will make those with some sense sit up and take notice.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
in some of those countries its pretty much mainstream...so even though the icc should try to convert other non mainstream countries to cricket, they should 1st help and get the countries that do have at as a main stream sport up to the top levels. because yes you can convert countries that doesn't have it as mainstream but its going to take a long long time...just look at soccer in the us for example...so the icc should 1st make strong ground on what they already have as mainstream and then move to the harder projects because if the dont, the countries that have it as mainstream might move on to some other sport...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Ireland can never, ever get Test status because Ireland is in cricketing terms part of England and every Irishman who has ever got good at cricket has played in and for England.
I don't know whats the qualification process for these two countries though, i know that if your from northern ireland than you could hold citizenship for either ireland or the uk. So players who play for ireland have to be either one. so if you play for ireland don't you have to wait and then play for england like 4 years later or is the process different for them? Every good enough irish might have played for england but that might change though because they have a good infrastructure and if they produce some good players i'll bet you at least one of them will stay loyal...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know whats the qualification process for these two countries though, i know that if your from northern ireland than you could hold citizenship for either ireland or the uk. So players who play for ireland have to be either one. so if you play for ireland don't you have to wait and then play for england like 4 years later or is the process different for them? Every good enough irish might have played for england but that might change though because they have a good infrastructure and if they produce some good players i'll bet you at least one of them will stay loyal...
Citizenship is totally and utterly irrelevant, as I've told you several times. It's not about your political identity, it's about your cricket-playing one. Nor is it about "staying loyal", that's an utterly ridiculous accusation to make. Ireland is part of England in cricketing terms, and therefore if an Irishman wants to make a good shot at an international cricket career of a serious nature his only choice is to play for England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
then wouldn't it be the same for a bangladeshi player to play for india or pakistan?
Not one player born in modern day Bangladesh has played for India or Pakistan, even before their independence. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
then wouldn't it be the same for a bangladeshi player to play for india or pakistan?
Not really, because Bangladesh has never been a cricket-playing part of India or Pakistan. It was, of course, once a complete part of both, but once separated everything within was split totally from both countries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not one player born in modern day Bangladesh has played for India or Pakistan, even before their independence. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions...
When's modern day Bangladesh?

The country's only existed for 36 years - for 20-odd years before that it was part of Pakistan, and for as long as I know before that both were part of India.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When's modern day Bangladesh?

The country's only existed for 36 years - for 20-odd years before that it was part of Pakistan, and for as long as I know before that both were part of India.
When? :huh: Do you mean where? I meant no player born within the modern-day (i.e. post indepedence) borders of Bangladesh has ever played tests for India or Pakistan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well of course they haven't - the place was split away from India and Pakistan, wasn't it!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well of course they haven't - the place was split away from India and Pakistan, wasn't it!
No "of course" about it at all. Players born in modern-day Pakistan have played for India & vice versa too. No-one born in the area now called "Bangladesh" has ever played for India or Pakistan, either when it was part of India or East Pakistan.

The point I was making is that they seemingly do not produce many test-quality players.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
they havenow...but ok then may be not bangladesh but pakistan...but pakistan was part of india and they played as india...so why don't the play as india as whole? in cricket terms they played togather before politicals stuff came in...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to hear cricket is ‘progressing’ in Uganda. They have according to a friend of mine a couple of quite talented cricketers. Cricket should have really taken off more considering the input of the British and more significantly the Asian community in East Africa but General Dada put such notions to bed. Alongside Pan-Africanism ideas which dictates the forming of an African culture (not one inherited by their imperial masters or played by Arab/Muslim 'invaders'), coupled with civil unrest and involvement in African genocide, cricket was hardly in a situation to prosper. However, it is encouraging to hear that 17,000 children are playing some form of cricket.

As Martin Williamson suggests Africa is where the ICC should be concerned with (due to it‘s cricketing heritage), not pipe dreams in China, where the ICC are only interested in the Chinese Yuan not the development of cricket.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No "of course" about it at all. Players born in modern-day Pakistan have played for India & vice versa too. No-one born in the area now called "Bangladesh" has ever played for India or Pakistan, either when it was part of India or East Pakistan.

The point I was making is that they seemingly do not produce many test-quality players.
Well, they haven't.

I'm presuming that will change, though - IMO Mortaza, Rafique and Shaz Nafees Az would undoubtedly be Test-class players if they'd been Indian or Pakistani born.

It's really just a case of wait-and-see. Just a shame we have to have this nonsense of them degrading international cricket in the meantime.