• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's mad, yes, but it's not anything that I wasn't expecting. Plunkett, after all, did take wickets in the latter stages of the CBS, and you know full well that English pundits go mad at a bowler that takes wickets in ODIs for a few games in a row (a la Anderson in 2003). Mahmood, I guess we were moreoreless resigned to a 11th commandment at that stage: Sajid Mahmood Shalt Play For England Regardless Of Going For Eight-An-Over.

FBU

International Debutant
Bowling stocks at the moment

Pace and Bounce
6'4 Harmison (28) - 88-94mph
6'6 Broad (21) - 84-88mph
6'7 Tremlett (25) - 84-88mph
6'4 Mahmood (25) - 85-94mph

Swing
6'2 Hoggard (30) - 80mph
6'2 Anderson (24) - 85-89mph
6'3 Sidebottom (29) - 80mph
6'3 Lewis (31) - 80mph
6'3 Plunkett (22) - 84-88mph
6'2 Onions (24) - 85mph
6'3 Jones (28) - 88-92mph

When everyone is fit we should have Harmison, Hoggard and Jones for Tests and Anderson, Lewis and Broad for ODIs. I think there are enough bowlers here to last for the next 10 years to play and cover for injuries.

Next generation
6'0 Harris (17) at Glamorgan
6'8 Finn (18) at Middlesex

open365

International Vice-Captain
Does it really matter? He wasn't making any arguable point by putting them into catergories

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On the contrary, it's very important that people realise that height and pace are no great use without some sort of sideways-movement.

Equally, sideways-movement is augmented hugely by height and pace. Just imagine a fusion of Hoggard's skill with swing, his reasonable control of length and usually excellent of line, with Harmison's height.

You'd have someone almost as good as Mohammad Asif.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True to an extent, but I still think bounce is a great asset in and of itself, as it tends to create an uncertainty in length, especially when driving.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly, it creates uncertainty in the batsman, but mostly all that results in is a batsman playing a rather uncomfortable-looking stroke, not often actually getting out. An away-swinger is far, far more likely to take the wicket.

If, obviously, the bowler has engineered enough bounce for it to carry.

FBU

International Debutant
Does it really matter? He wasn't making any arguable point by putting them into catergories
she

Heavy workload -

49.2 overs - 17.85 econ 2.53 s/r 42.28 Anderson
41.0 overs - 26.00 econ 2.53 s/r 61.50 Tremlett
41.0 overs - 17.83 econ 2.52 s/r 41.00 Sidebottom
34.0 overs - 43.00 econ 2.52 s/r 102.00 Panesar

46.2 overs - 23.50 econ 3.04 s/r 46.33 Khan
40.0 overs - 43.33 econ 3.25 s/r 80.00 Kumble
38.0 overs - 43.00 econ 3.39 s/r 76.00 Sreesanth
33.3 overs - 16.71 econ 3.49 s/r 28.71 Singh

I think Anderson was a bit tired in the second innings. (in the county games he has played he has usually only bowled in one innings because of the weather)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've asked you this before, but you never replied.

Does FBU stand for Fast Bowlers Union?

Also, was your joining in March 2007 due to a penguin from the Inland Revenue Department with big teeth?

I have a feeling it might.

FBU

International Debutant
I've asked you this before, but you never replied.

Does FBU stand for Fast Bowlers Union?

Also, was your joining in March 2007 due to a penguin from the Inland Revenue Department with big teeth?

I have a feeling it might.
Sorry I didn't see your previous post and the answer is yes. :)

open365

International Vice-Captain
James Harris, absolutely amazing bowler, less than 300 test wickets and he's under achieved imo.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry I didn't see your previous post and the answer is yes. :)
Haha. I bet people might be slightly confused by my post and the fact you understood what I meant. For the first time since I've been here, I have my own in-joke that only one other person 'gets' ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James Harris, absolutely amazing bowler, less than 300 test wickets and he's under achieved imo.
Let's not start getting too excited too quickly - the kid's 17.

Sure, he's doing fairly remarkably for a 17-year-old so far, but the last thing he needs is people (even if he doesn't read this site, it's the general attitude not you specifically) saying that at this stage.